2014 WR Draft class

thewildrabbit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not really true about Benjamin. He's not as graceful, for sure. But he's 5 inches and 35 pounds heavier than Watkins, too. He's a much bigger bodied guy that is not elusive in the open field but can get some big up for grabs balls in traffic.

I like Sammy too, but to say Benjamin can't carry is jock is ridiculous.

i don't think you've watched kb play. This kid will go down as the as the best of this class. He catches clutch passes, very physical and goes over the middle.

I've watched every one of Benjamin's games this year, drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in and have watched him closely. The guy does nothing as well as Sammy, despite his size. He doesn't run routes well (at all and has, in fact, regressed in this area over the season), his hands deflect the ball more than they catch (he does not have clutch hands, he has garbage-time hands -- where most of his TDs have come this year), and he gives up on routes consistently which have led directly to three of Newton's picks this year.

Benjamin has a long ways to go before he can be considered in the same class as Sammy, Evans and even ODB. Those are the three banner freshmen in the class, deservedly so.

I still say the bills needed a guy like Evans more than a guy like Watkins.

Our red zone woes continue. We need someone with size!

Kelvin Benjamin is a beast at 6'5 240 lbs, and was drafted with the 28th pick in the first round.

Update:

New Orleans Saints WR Brandin Cooks broke his thumb and will be out 4-6 weeks

http://www.rotoworld...in-cooks-(thumb)-out-4-6-weeks

I've watched every one of Benjamin's games this year, drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in and have watched him closely. The guy does nothing as well as Sammy, despite his size. He doesn't run routes well (at all and has, in fact, regressed in this area over the season), his hands deflect the ball more than they catch (he does not have clutch hands, he has garbage-time hands -- where most of his TDs have come this year), and he gives up on routes consistently which have led directly to three of Newton's picks this year.

Benjamin has a long ways to go before he can be considered in the same class as Sammy, Evans and even ODB. Those are the three banner freshmen in the class, deservedly so.

Granted he doesn't have Sammy's hands, and doesn't always finish his routes.

If you have him on your fantasy team then you should be starting him every week, as Kelvin is killing it the last two weeks with 20 pts two weeks ago, and 29 pts this week, and he really has had only two off weeks all year.

Sammy has had five off weeks so far. Lets face it, for whatever reason the Bills just aren't getting him the ball enough. Eff Chris Hogan, he can't do what Watkins does, and he is the one who can't hold Sammy's jockstrap. Watkins shouldn't be the decoy for Hogan. This Bills OC sucks.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Kelvin Benjamin is a beast at 6'5 240 lbs, and was drafted with the 28th pick in the first round.

Update:

If you have him on your fantasy team then you should be starting him every week, as Kelvin is killing it the last two weeks with 20 pts two weeks ago, and 29 pts this week, and he really has had only two off weeks all year.

Sammy has had five off weeks so far. Lets face it, for whatever reason the Bills just aren't getting him the ball enough. Eff Chris Hogan, he can't do what Watkins does, and he is the one who can't hold Sammy's jockstrap. Watkins shouldn't be the decoy for Hogan. This Bills OC sucks.

Kelvin Benjamin picks up a ton of his stats in garbage time. He has flubbed a few key passes in meaningful games. But when it's the fourth quarter and you're down 40, he can ball out. Remember when Stevie had that ridiculous grab against the Seahawks down 50? That's Kelvin Benjamin.

Kelvin Benjamin picks up a ton of his stats in garbage time. He has flubbed a few key passes in meaningful games. But when it's the fourth quarter and you're down 40, he can ball out. Remember when Stevie had that ridiculous grab against the Seahawks down 50? That's Kelvin Benjamin.

you mean like yesterday when he score to get the cats first td and the td was a ridiculous tip to himself when he was covered? he garbage tds came against pitt and philly. In those two games they were out of it at halftime(I was at the pitt game). Cam is not an accurate passer and kb has to go up and get all the time. He is also the 5th most targeted wr in the league and always has the safety over on him cause the panthers only have olsen as their other real weapon.

you mean like yesterday when he score to get the cats first td and the td was a ridiculous tip to himself when he was covered? he garbage tds came against pitt and philly. In those two games they were out of it at halftime(I was at the pitt game). Cam is not an accurate passer and kb has to go up and get all the time. He is also the 5th most targeted wr in the league and always has the safety over on him cause the panthers only have olsen as their other real weapon.

I can think of two separate occasions off the top of my head where KB flubbed two balls that hit his hands in the end zone. I'm not saying he's bad, only that I don't think he's as talented as a reciever. His ability to get jump balls is better than Sammy's though, certainly.

Update:

That points to the real question we should be debating: who's the better receiver -- not who's on the best team or has the best stats. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Benjamin or say he's terrible. He starts for my fantasy team and puts up pretty good numbers. Of course, basing anything on fantasy numbers is a one way ticket to pointlessness.

Benjamin has been healthier, has a better QB throwing him the ball, plays in the weakest division in football so of course his numbers will be inflated when compared to the other WRs. Looking just at his numbers (or highlights) it's easy to get misled into thinking he's been beasting. He hasn't. He's been consistently mediocre when it comes to making impact on the games. He's had two highlight reel catches (one yesterday) -- neither led to a winning effort.

If you look beyond the numbers and just at the individual receivers, while taking out as many of the variables as you can, Sammy is so far ahead of Benjamin it's not even a contest. Sammy is always open, not just a little open, he's open most times by 4 or 5 yards. He beats the press and off coverage and runs far better routes than anyone gave him credit for coming out of Clemson. Sammy's faster, stronger (yes, even though he's smaller), and has zero question marks about his football IQ. Benjamin's football IQ has more flags than the United Nations. His hands have about just as many.

Evans is better than Benjamin. ODB is better than Benjamin. Sammy is better than Evans and ODB (all QBs being equal). And it's really not close.

This is all said with the knowledge each of these guys are rookies. They have plenty of time to grow and improve. Benjamin has phenomenal athletic tools, if he can figure out how to put it all together he'll be great. Sammy's already ten miles ahead on the path towards greatness and his tools. It's really not much of a debate. It's a better debate to compare Evans and ODB to Sammy in my mind.

No one is saying he can't make highlight reel catches. But he's raw, far from a complete prospect, and has a long ways to go in his fundamentals before he even approaches Sammy's level of professionalism. That's all. This isn't to bash the guy, it's more of a testament to how good Sammy actually is. People are blinded by the price tag on the trade and see the other WRs in this class killing it and think the Bills got had. They didn't get had, this is a GREAT WR class but Sammy is absolutely miles better than every other rookie in this terrific class.

That's not a slam on Benjamin, Evans or ODB -- it's a comment on Sammy. As a Bills fan, you should embrace it.

Edited by GreggyT

I wish we could see Watkins vs that sorry excuse for a secondary in Washington.

Watkins has had to play Revis Miami Detroit Flowers in San Diego is very good and the Chiefs.

Evans has lit up Cleveland (did Haden even cover him or more VJax?) Atlanta and Washington.

buster Skrine was covering Evans for Cleveland. He's their #2 WR so he gets the 2nd best coverage option usually.

While there are few pieces of NFL conventional wisdom I agree with. one which seems to be true is that it takes 3 years of play before an observer can really declare a player as a star or a bust.

I really like the stats compiled in the lead post in this thread.

Also, we fans have perfect right to jump t premature conclusions and the discussion itself though premature is at least based on real stats and a lot of fun.

However, all of our yammer needs t come with the recognition that we really need t see a couple of more seasons of performance before we can make a legit pronouncement on how these players compare.

In my several decades of watching the NFL I have seen:

A. Too many careers lost to injury

B. Too many sophomore slumps

C. Too many Eric Mould careers of players being statistically horrible their first year or two and then they become perennial Prp Bowlers

D. WRs get the right QB or C for their games,

E. Opponents get enough film to find a fatal flaw I an opponents game an the see the rest of the league adopt the successful tactic,

etc that its till way too soon to ass judgment on this class.

Sa what you want but also keep the cavian in mind.

I would trade Sammy for Beckham+1st rounder, or Benjamin+1st, or Evans+1st.

Sammy may end up being the cream of the crop, but he's in no way differentiated himself as being worth DOUBLE compared to the rest of the guys.

I'd trade Sammy + our 1st round back as follows:

Beckham = definitely

Evans = probably (seven catches for 209 yards and two touchdowns in the Buccaneers' 27-7 win last weekend ... yowza)

Benjamin = probably not, just not seeing enough consistency out of him yet.

Edited by JTSP

Week 12 rankings fantasy WR

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/week-12-rankings--wide-receivers-205554872.html

9) Mike Evans

14) Odell Beckham Jr

17) Sammy Watkins

19) Jordan Matthews

Kelvin not on this list this week as he is on a bye week

More on Sammy:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1850743/sammy-watkins

Update Week 12

Miami WR Jarvis Landry 7 rec 50 yards, 2 TD's

Tampa Bay WR Mike Evans 3 rec 47 yards, 1 TD

Philly WR Jordan Matthews 6 rec 77 yards-

Arizona WR John Brown 3 rec 61 yards-

Jacksonville WR Allen Hurns 1 rec 13 yards-

NYG Odell Beckham Jr 10 rec 146 yards 2 TD's....are you kidding me!

Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant - Mon night

Buffalo WR Sammy Watkins-Mon night

Carolina WR Kelvin Benjamin, bye week

NO Saints WR out, hand injury

EDIT: more to come after the Mon night games.

Edited by FeartheLosing

It really is amazing how great this class has been, the top 4 (Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Benjamin) are already some of the best in the league and will most likely be stars for the next 10 years. When you look at the second tier as well its crazy that the WR class wasn't really that big of a story leading up to the draft. I remember some people mentioning it was a strong class but 4 superstars and 5 more excellent starters?!

That being said, anyone who says they'd prefer any of the others over Watkins is fooling themselves. Beckham is closest but his success depends almost entirely on his elite speed and athleticism which will fade over time and is susceptible to even very minor injuries. Evans plays against 2nd corners and Benjamin gets targeted like 20 times a game so their stats are inflated. Yeah we paid a hefty price but having a superstar like Sammy for the next 10+ years is going to be very sweet.

Edited by cosmo