2014 WR Draft class

thewildrabbit

This WR draft class might end up as the greatest in NFL history when you look at what some of them have already achieved.

Carolina WR Kelvin Benjamin is currently ranked 14th

Bills WR Sammy Watkins is currently ranked 17th

Buc's WR Mike Evans is currently ranked 23rd

NOS Brandin Cooks is currently ranked 36th

NYG WR Odell Beckham Jr

Philly WR Jordan Matthews

Arizona WR John Brown

Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant

Miami WR Jarvis Landry

EDIT: adding un drafted rookie Jacksonville WR Allen Hurns . 30 rec 475 yards, 5 TD's

http://espn.go.com/n...qualified/false

• The New York Giants' Odell Beckham Jr., 12th pick: After watching Beckham catch seven passes for 108 yards in Week 10, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said, "They've got a great one in that kid." His comments harked back to those uttered one year ago by an NFC personnel director, who said he believed the two best wide receivers in the country might be at LSU. The first was Beckham, the other was Jarvis Landry, another rookie wide receiver now shining in Miami.

Some startling stats that make you wonder why the Bills haven't made a greater effort to get the ball to Watkins.

• Buffalo's Watkins, fourth overall pick: Watkins' production has been a major factor in predicting the Bills' success. In the four games in which Watkins has had 30 or fewer receiving yards, the Bills are 0-4. In the five games in which Watkins has had more than 30 receiving yards, the Bills are 5-0. Buffalo needs Watkins, who is battling a strained groin, to step up down the stretch.

http://espn.go.com/n...-schefter-blitz

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this is a great rookie crop of receivers, I say that up front.

Benjamin can't carry Sammy's jock strap. He's got rocks for hands and has the football awareness of a toddler. He certainly has room to grow and could become a stud -- but he's a long ways from that now. I'd say outside of Sammy, the only real game-changers seem to be Evans and ODB. Though, ODB has too small of a sample size and Evans is riding a hot streak.

Evans is probably the receiver who's had to deal with the most adversity: flipping QBs constantly, new coach, a terrible team etc. Sammy's dealt with two QBs and two nagging injuries which have certainly impacted his numbers.

Week 11 WR stats

Buc's WR Mike Evans 7 rec 209 yards 2 TD's

Carolina WR Kelvin Benjamin 9 rec 109 yards 1 TD

NYG WR Odell Beckham Jr 6 rec 96 yards

NO Saints WR Brandin Cooks 5 rec 50 yards

Miami WR Jarvis Landry 5 rec 46 yards 1 TD

Buffalo Sammy Watkins 3 rec 32 yards

Games so far, 4:00, 8:30 & Mon games to be included later.

I wish we could see Watkins vs that sorry excuse for a secondary in Washington.

Watkins has had to play Revis Miami Detroit Flowers in San Diego is very good and the Chiefs.

Evans has lit up Cleveland (did Haden even cover him or more VJax?) Atlanta and Washington.

Edited by Big Blitz

Benjamin can't carry Sammy's jock strap. He's got rocks for hands and has the football awareness of a toddler. He certainly has room to grow and could become a stud -- but he's a long ways from that now. I'd say outside of Sammy, the only real game-changers seem to be Evans and ODB. Though, ODB has too small of a sample size and Evans is riding a hot streak.

Evans is probably the receiver who's had to deal with the most adversity: flipping QBs constantly, new coach, a terrible team etc. Sammy's dealt with two QBs and two nagging injuries which have certainly impacted his numbers.

That's not really true about Benjamin. He's not as graceful, for sure. But he's 5 inches and 35 pounds heavier than Watkins, too. He's a much bigger bodied guy that is not elusive in the open field but can get some big up for grabs balls in traffic.

I like Sammy too, but to say Benjamin can't carry is jock is ridiculous.

Edited by Doug Flutie Band

I'd rank Beckham slightly ahead of watkins right now.

He's got the skill set NFL covets the most: speed, route running, hands, leaping ability.

Sammy has the first 3 but he's not the leaper that Beckham is. Sammy has a thicker upper and is something like 15-20 pounds heavier.

Edited by JTSP

Yeah, I think it's clear we overspent on Watkins, considering our QB situation, and the WR class seems to be very strong.

But... hindsight is 20/20 and all. Sammy will be stuck here for 4? more years while we bring in mediocre vets, and draft busts, then he'll go play for a real team. ;)

Yeah, I think it's clear we overspent on Watkins, considering our QB situation, and the WR class seems to be very strong.

But... hindsight is 20/20 and all. Sammy will be stuck here for 4? more years while we bring in mediocre vets, and draft busts, then he'll go play for a real team. ;)

Given the moves now, yes, we did overspend.

Though I cannot falter the move if that's who they felt we needed to turn things around, even though a 2015 1st rounder would be nice.

I mean, whilst EJ never wowed be during his rookie season, I did have the expectation that he could and maybe even would grow into the role of a starting QB if things fell into place (especially with Sammy and the other offensive weapons) - it's happened to several quarterbacks over the years.

Edit: Currently, they have to be ranked: OBJ, Benjamin, Watkins/Cooks, Brown, Evans and then Landry/Matthews.

Edited by Smooth

I still say the bills needed a guy like Evans more than a guy like Watkins.

Our red zone woes continue. We need someone with size!

The Bills already have a WR in Mike Williams who has a history of Red Zone/End Zone TD success. Too bad they have an offensive staff that stubbornly refuses to or is incapable of utilizing his talents to help a league worst Red Zone offense.

Given the moves now, yes, we did overspend.

Though I cannot falter the move if that's who they felt we needed to turn things around, even though a 2015 1st rounder would be nice.

I mean, whilst EJ never wowed be during his rookie season, I did have the expectation that he could and maybe even would grow into the role of a starting QB if things fell into place (especially with Sammy and the other offensive weapons) - it's happened to several quarterbacks over the years.

Edit: Currently, they have to be ranked: OBJ, Benjamin, Watkins/Cooks, Brown, Evans and then Landry/Matthews.

Yup, at the time we expected EJ to take a step forward, so why not get the best WR possible to team with him? It made sense at the time... but now with hindsight it's a "doh" moment.

i don't think you've watched kb play. This kid will go down as the as the best of this class. He catches clutch passes, very physical and goes over the middle.