Kyle Orton is Doug Flutie

Latason

Kyle Orton is Doug Flutie.

It's less taboo to say now, because after last nights historically bad performance the world is catching up to how much he sucks. But take the argument with a grain of salt because I genuinely thought it from day 1...

Every single talking head points to the switch to Kyle Orton as a season saving move. Let's take a look at what exactly transpired since he was installed as the starter.

1. A 17-14 victory in Detroit, where Orton threw a critical pick 6, and Detroit missed 3 (!!!!) field goals, including what would have been the game winner in the last minute. Orton then orchestrated a 1 play, 20 yard drive where he threw a slant behind Sammy Watkins and Watkins made an incredible catch and run. We then hit a 58 yard fg for the win. #OrtonMagic

2. Follow that game up with a blowout loss at home to the Patriots in a must win spot. Nobody puts that on Orton, because we have become accustomed to these losses, but clearly he was awful and racked up garbage time stats. So he is completely exonerated in the public eye.

3. A 17-16 win at home against Minnesota, in which we needed a miraculous last second drive to beat arguably the worst team in the entire NFL. At home. Orton's magic covered up another horrendous showing in the entire game (and shadily on the last drive) with a miraculous pass on 4th and 20 (only caused by an idiotic intentional grounding the play before). Then a magic induced 1 yard touchdown pass. #OrtonMagic

4. A blowout win in the Meadowlands, in which the defense intercepted Geno Smith 3 times in the first quarter, and turned the Jets over 6 times total. Clearly a product of Orton Magic...yeah right??!!

Throughout all of this anyone that actually watched the games could clearly see how bad he is. Which means all the pundits, and I’m sure many Bills fans who (like so many Bills fans who loved Doug Flutie), attribute 100% of their success to the quarterback and none of it to the defense which happens to lead the league in sacks and turnovers. Ask them before last night and I'm sure they preferred Kyle Orton over EJ Manuel.

But now that Orton has cost us our season by orchestrating a stretch of 21 straight drives without a touchdown in two critical games against wild card contenders, the world is starting to catch on to how bad he is. And yet, the general national sentiment I'm sensing is that it's still not completely Orton's fault. I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!

At the end if the day, I'm sure EJ Manuel is just another Rob Johnson and it probably doesn't matter. But why the heck not at least roll the dice on a 24 year old quarterback that you essentially spent two first round picks on, who at a baseline can at least do everything that Kyle Orton can do. There's a reason why Orton was not on a roster in mid-August (and Flutie was in the CFL for a decade). It makes absolutely no sense to me.

And this is why the bills suck and will always suck.

I'm confused with the Flutie analogy. Flutie was a winner. I know he would have scrambled for first downs and touchdowns that Orton can not. Even EJ could.

Orton reminds me of an inaccurate Drew Bledsoe. Against he Dolphins he looked as though he was playing scared toward the end.

We are QB away from being a very good team.

I'm confused with the Flutie analogy. Flutie was a winner. I know he would have scrambled for first downs and touchdowns that Orton can not. Even EJ could.

Orton reminds me of an inaccurate Drew Bledsoe. Against he Dolphins he looked as though he was playing scared toward the end.

What did he win? Certainly nothing in the NFL

Welcome friend... to the new millennium!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by filthymcnasty08

The point of the Flutie analogy is that there's a reason why he was a career journeyman that never was a legitimate NFL starter. He relied on what the national media perceived as "Flutie Magic," which in reality was a dominant defense and a lot of luck. He was eventually exposed and shortly after vanished back into obscurity.

EJ Manuel, like Rob Johnson at the time, was a young prospect that we invested a lot in and if nothing else at least had upside. Oh and he also beat the AFC Champion Titans in the playoffs, on the road, if it weren't for a special teams blunder (that I'm sure Flutie Magic would have stopped). It sucks that he didn't pan out. But he at least had potential.

EJ is 24 years old. We invested two first round picks in him. He is 6-7 in his career, which is as good or better than a lot of quarterbacks that started from day 1. At worst, he is at least what Kyle Orton has proven to be over the last decade - a career journeyman that has never had sustained success and was offered a contract by NOBODY until August. At best, he could be a legitimate NFL quarterback. Why not roll the dice on the unknown rather than stick with a guy that is unanimously considered a backup quarterback by every front office in the NFL.

this may hurt . No, I'll not sugar coat it. This will hurt.

Rob Johnson has a Super Bowl ring and a playoff WIN

On Week 17 (December 29), with a first-round playoff bye on the line, Johnson led the Buccaneers to five field goals against the Chicago Bears for the franchise's first-ever victory when the kickoff temperature was below freezing. *

* side note to the home field advantage thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Johnson_%28American_football%29