Buffalo at KC 25: Most Criminal Play Calling this season

1B4IDie

I agree with all of this. Orton is in my doghouse. We win going away if Orton plays better. Brown's fumble would have been a pimple on the elephant's ass if Orton does a better job earlier.

GO BILLS!!!

but he didnt and that fumble was the game plain and simple...can't have it. But Bryce is a fumbler

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the replay of the game on NFL Network. I also watched the KC game last week against the Jets. The Jets ran very effectively against KC using misdirection and counter plays. These types of plays are unknown to Hackett.

I could not pick up one play action pass. When your running game is going well, very well in fact, it makes this play even more effective.

Hackett is an idiot.

I also noticed that Marrone wore a headset but he looked as completely bewildered by the play calling as the rest of us. He also never talks to any one on it. I am not sure why he has a head phone, he is obviously not involved.

On the 17 yard pass to Hogan that left us one yard short of a first down, there was a clear late hit on Hogan three yards out of bounds. Marrone just stood there, no reaction, no challenging the refs, nothing. He is a joke.

Edited by jumbalaya

but he didnt and that fumble was the game plain and simple...can't have it. But Bryce is a fumbler

That's where we disagree in terms of game analysis. If Orton makes the plays he missed early on, Brown's fumble is merely seven less points and we still win comfortably.

It can be argued that nearly every game comes down to a couple of plays here and there. That doesn't mean we forget about the other 60 some odd plays that are made, though. If you make enough plays, the game won't come down to that one or two. Brown's fumble hurt us only because we weren't already in position to render it meaningless.

GO BILLS!!!

I just watched the replay of the game on NFL Network. I also watched the KC game last week against the Jets. The Jets ran very effectively against KC using misdirection and counter plays. These types of plays are unknown to Hackett.

I could not pick up one play action pass. When your running game is going well, very well in fact, it makes this play even more effective.

Hackett is an idiot.

I also noticed that Marrone wore a headset but he looked as completely bewildered by the play calling as the rest of us. He also never talks to any one on it. I am not sure why he has a head phone, he is obviously not involved.

On the 17 yard pass to Hogan that left us one yard short of a first down, there was a clear late hit on Hogan three yards out of bounds. Marrone just stood there, no reaction, no challenging the refs, nothing. He is a joke.

I could have sworn Boobie's long run around right end was a direct result of that misdirection and counter movement you said Hackett has no clue about.

GO BILLS!!!

you're kidding right? the topics would have been "embarrassing win", "we are winning despite the coaches", "Fire (insert latest punching bag)"...They will still be complaining, just about other things...

The complaints were justified in the Vikings and Jests wins and a better team The Chiefs took advantage of Buffalo's criminally bad play calling mistakes.

Do I really have to explain why fans would want the Bills to PASS in the redzone against a team like the Jets but RUN in the redzone against a team like KC?

I don't care what the routes were or were supposed to be. When facing the #1 ranked pass defense who is also top 3 in the league in sacks, AND you're averaging 5 yards per carry throughout the whole game, you should pound it in.

:thumbsup:

SHHHHH... let the "Blame everything on Hackett" crowd have their fun...!

lol. Not nearly as hilarious as the "we should have tried to run it into the end zone on the one team that hasn't allowed a single rushing touchdown all season" crowd. Edited by mrags

Fascinating. Just because of a statistical ranking as a top pass defense, you believe that passing was a bad idea despite route combinations that consistently yielded open receivers for the QB. Now I get it. I don't understand the logic but I guess that is your belief. This game for me was defined by players having their numbers called in big situations and some of them came up small or outright put the ball on the ground. It happens.

You couldn't be more right. The plays calls were there, the players failed to make the plays. I think Hacket gets a bad rap around here. It is not his fault he doesn't have a QB that could make a play once in awhile. Orton has been good up to last Sunday. Was not one of his better games. He missed 3 or 4 throws that would have resulted in TDs. In close games you just can't have that.

You couldn't be more right. The plays calls were there, the players failed to make the plays. I think Hacket gets a bad rap around here. It is not his fault he doesn't have a QB that could make a play once in awhile. Orton has been good up to last Sunday. Was not one of his better games. He missed 3 or 4 throws that would have resulted in TDs. In close games you just can't have that.

If it doesn't work I don't know the first 5 times maybe try something different?

Calling the same plays over and over and having them blow up due to player performance and not changing your strategy or play calling is on Hackett.

It wasn't like it was one bad throw. How many times did Orton just throw the ball away the whole game?

Just because you think Sammy was open when he was surrounded by 3 world class athletes that can break on a ball in a microsecond, Doesn't mean calling the same type of play over and over and over and abandoning the run is smart play calling.

Sorry both the play calling and player performance was terrible.

A player may not be able to change gears and get out of bad game. A coach's job is to make adjustments when players are t performing.

No adjustments is the crime and Hackett gets the blame.

Well to be honest it was a mixed bag all around

the defense blew a lead in the 4th

a rb fumbled at the goal line

special teams turned it over while protecting a lead in the 4th

How man drops did the receivers have to start the game ?

Orton missed throws to end the game ?

Why did we throw 48 times ?

The whole team made critical errors and we simply couldn't pull it out at the end as we had done against the Lions and Vikings .

lol. Not nearly as hilarious as the "we should have tried to run it into the end zone on the one team that hasn't allowed a single rushing touchdown all season" crowd.

KC, while having a fat YPC average, has one of the best short-yardage defenses in the league, particularly their D line in those situations, and that's why they don't give up rushing TDs. I'm convinced Hackett/Marrone didn't like that short-yardage matchup and planned accordingly. And as I've said a million times, if our receivers weren't getting open consistently like they were all game, it would be easier to ding Hackett on his schematics. But the plays were there to be made, just as he drew them up.

GO BILLS!!!

KC, while having a fat YPC average, has one of the best short-yardage defenses in the league, particularly their D line in those situations, and that's why they don't give up rushing TDs. I'm convinced Hackett/Marrone didn't like that short-yardage matchup and planned accordingly. And as I've said a million times, if our receivers weren't getting open consistently like they were all game, it would be easier to ding Hackett on his schematics. But the plays were there to be made, just as he drew them up.

GO BILLS!!!

but the player wasn't performing all game.

So you make coaching adjustments that take into consideration a player having a bad day.

or don't and lose game failing at the same thing over and over.

Edited by Why So Serious?

but the player wasn't performing all game.

So you make coaching adjustments that take into consideration a player having a bad day.

or don't and lose game failing at the same thing over and over.

"Now Kyle, don't take this personally, but you've been having a bad day. Because of that, we are gonna take the ball out of your hands and not give you and your receivers a chance to win it. You simply can't be trusted with the game on the line right now. Please deposit your quarterback balls in the trainer's bag before taking the field."

I would argue that you give Orton the chance to win it precisely BECAUSE he was having a bad day to that point and you believe in your players and want to give them the opportunity to play themselves out of a funk. Like giving the ball back to Brown on the first offensive play AFTER his fumble when he scampered for 13 yards.

I can just imagine the outrage around here if we ran the ball unsuccessfully while witnessing our receivers running wide open.

GO BILLS!!!

Amen k-9

If we ran the ball consecutively, and didn't score a TD to win, all we would be hearing about is why in the hell did they run the ball against the best run D in the league in the redzone. Or why in the hell were we running when all year long out run game has sucked. Or why in the hell did we even bother to trade up for Smy if were not going to use him in the clutch.

The excuses could go on for ever actually.

At the end of the day, Hackett made the right play calls. WRs were open on multiple occasions, Orton didn't execute. If he does, we win. End of story.

Everyone can get off Hacketts back for now.

This quote from Orton is telling:

So what went wrong on Sunday?

"A couple misthrows," Orton said. "A couple missed assignments. Pretty much what happens every week."

yes, he had bad throws. but "missed assignments" is also key, which is why it's difficult to solely blame the OC when we don't know if all the correct routes, reads, assignments, or whatever were executed correctly. The "happens every week" comment is worrisome, a QB is going to miss throws, but you would hope "missed assignments" would be eliminated, though again impossible to know how many missed assignments or wrongs routes there were.

Edited by ricojes

"Now Kyle, don't take this personally, but you've been having a bad day. Because of that, we are gonna take the ball out of your hands and not give you and your receivers a chance to win it. You simply can't be trusted with the game on the line right now. Please deposit your quarterback balls in the trainer's bag before taking the field."

I would argue that you give Orton the chance to win it precisely BECAUSE he was having a bad day to that point and you believe in your players and want to give them the opportunity to play themselves out of a funk. Like giving the ball back to Brown on the first offensive play AFTER his fumble when he scampered for 13 yards.

I can just imagine the outrage around here if we ran the ball unsuccessfully while witnessing our receivers running wide open.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't lay 100% of the blame on Hackett because as some have stated there is more than enough 'blame' to go around. While the 2 fumbles were the most obvious errors there were plenty of other things here, penalties, dropped passes, missed reads on both sides of the ball, a fairly lousy day for Orton.

But isn't the saying that 'a coaches job is to put his players in the best position to win' applicable? And if you know the offense, and the QB in particular is struggling after a strong opening drive, wouldn't it make sense to mix it up a little?

My critique of the Bills offensive game plan is they rarely show a team a 'look' they might not be prepared for? How many specific plays has Hackett designed for Watkins, or for Spiller before he was hurt, or any other offensive player? The offensive game plan looks to me to be unimaginative plug and play simply substituting one player for another in the scheme without any subtle or obvious variations.

I can think of a half-dozen ways to use Watkins given his speed, elusiveness, and strengths? So why can't Hackett attempt to use Watkins like the Seahawks and Jets have attempted to use Harvin for example. Get him more touches. How about Spiller as a bigger version of Sproles? Why no Mike Williams given his previously demonstrated 'red zone' abilities and the teams lack of success in that area?

Unless you have an overwhelming talent level when you show 'good' defenses the look they expect they're going to stop you more times than not. Get them thinking and unsure rather than reading and reacting. I'll be extremely surprised if the Bills show the Dolphins 'D' anything new or different than they used in the Chiefs game. In a word - predictable.