Buffalo at KC 25: Most Criminal Play Calling this season

1B4IDie

This is hashed over rehashed on many different threads. I thought it might be nice to have a thread to focus on the series that lost the game.

http://espn.go.com/n...554332&period=4

Buffalo at 4:35 KAN BUF BUF DRIVE TOTALS: 7 plays, 10 yards, 2:08

1st and 10 at KC 25 (4:35) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass short right to R.Woods to KC 16 for 9 yards (E.Berry, J.Mauga). Tuck route, caught at KC 20.

2nd and 1 at KC 16 (4:03) (Shotgun) B.Brown right end to KC 16 for no gain (J.Houston). 3rd and 1 at KC 16 (3:27) F.Summers left guard to KC 15 for 1 yard (J.Howard; T.Hali).

1st and 10 at KC 15 (2:47) K.Orton pass incomplete short right to S.Watkins (R.Parker). Underthrown, receiver at goal line near pylon.

2nd and 10 at KC 15 (2:42) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short left to C.Hogan (R.Parker). Overthrown, receiver near sideline 7 yds. into end zone.

3rd and 10 at KC 15 (2:37) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short middle to C.Hogan. Overthrown, receiver 4 yds. into end zone, slanting from left. Timeout #1 by KC at 02:32.

4th and 10 at KC 15 (2:31) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short right to S.Watkins (R.Parker). Receiver at goal line underthrown, nearly intercepted at KC 2.

The first play of the drive was great and gave all Bills fans faith. Then next 6 plays were a debacle.

Lets start at 2nd and 1 at KC 16.

This should be one of the most thrilling downs and distance for an offensive coordinator. You have the defense by the Balls. Do they stack the box and try to prevent the 1st down or do they focus on protecting the end zone?

The Bills were averaging 5 yards a carry. Wouldn't a Play Action Pass be perfect in a situation like this? Get the defense to react to the fake handoff and then take a shot to a receiver that is less than 14 yards for a possible game winning TD.

Nooooo!

We predictably try to jam it down the guard and get stuff by a defense that looked stacked against the run.

If you take a shot at 2nd and 1, and get an incomplete. You still have a 3rd and 1!. This play drove me nuts and my brother wanted to gag me when we were watching the game, I lost my mind on how stupid that play call was at that point on the field and in the game.

Then the next 4 plays were mind numbingly stupid. It was as if 1.) Hacket didn't realize the Bills can set up a 1st and goal at the 5, or 2.) Hackett believes you can only score TDs by passing the ball.

1st and 10 at the 15 with an offense that likes to clear out the defense with long routes by WRs then dink to Receivers that cross the field underneath the clear out. Wouldn't that be a great play when you're 15 yards from the endzone????!!!!

Nooo!!! We all of sudden start throwing weak fades that looked like the WR and QB had never practiced the plays in their lives.

1st . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 2nd . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 3rd . . . incomplete towards endzone . . . 5th . . . incomplete towards endzone .

4th down really killed me!!!!

What were they doing? We can still get the first down! It'd be hard for the Chiefs to defend the end zone and the 1st down! Take a shot to extend the drive!!!

No!!!!! We take another lame attempt at the end zone and effectively lose the game.

This possession is keeping me up at night. Just pure torture.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of the argument of going for it vs. kicking the FG. The biggest problem I have is throwing to the end zone on each of the four downs instead of throwing in the field of play or running the ball. IMO, they should have focused on getting another 1st down before worrying about getting a TD in that scenario. It's a damn shame that Orton missed the wide open Hogan on 3rd and 10 so that this wouldn't have been a topic for discussion. :(

tempCM6_8274--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Hogan was open and Sammy was open twice on that last drive. Orton missed his receivers.

Execution by the QB lost that game.

Earlier he missed Chandler and Woods in the end zones as well.

I agree with all of this. Orton is in my doghouse. We win going away if Orton plays better. Brown's fumble would have been a pimple on the elephant's ass if Orton does a better job earlier.

GO BILLS!!!

A lot of people were focusing on that drive after the game.

How about this one?:

3rd Q 8:08 remains. Bills with 1st and 10 on KC 11.

1st down--pass to Brown to the 3 yard line.

2nd down and 2 at the 3--incomplete at the goal line

3rd and 2 at the three---another incomplete in the end zone

4th--kick FG.

It's 2nd and 2 at the 2, then 3rd-----and not one run play to pick up a first down and goal to go??

Such bad red zone play calling.

How about this one?:

4th--kick FG.

It's 2nd and 2 at the 2, then 3rd-----and not one run play to pick up a first down and goal to go??

ill agree with this a little but. But again. Orton missed his receivers on that set of downs. Woods had a TD if the ball was thrown where it should have been. I believe Chandler had one available there as well.

How about this one?:

4th--kick FG.

That drive is also horrible, but the only reason it doesn't keep me up at night is because we had the lead at that point in time and got points on the board.

Even though a contender would convert that to a TD.

Horrible RedZone play calling is all we can say.

:sick:

You can talk about bad play calling all you want. The bottom line is the play calling was good enough to win the game if Orton makes a good pass in the red zone. He failed to do that numerous time. On the final drive he had receivers open repeatedly and flat out missed them. That's not a bad play call. That's a bad QB.

ill agree with this a little but. But again. Orton missed his receivers on that set of downs. Woods had a TD if the ball was thrown where it should have been. I believe Chandler had one available there as well.

OK, maybe you take one shot at the EZ. Then you call a 2 yard run play for a fresh set of downs!! Brown, Boobie and Freddy---and they can't come up with a run play in that situation??

People want to go on about penalties and fumbles---this game, in the redzone, was a disaster. Too many points left on the board, so that, when the fumbles (and the D's 4th Q surrender) came, it was close enough that we lost.

Marrone a dn Hackett are .500 in the Big East (football!). They just don't belong here...

Both of the redzone drives were insanely stupid. You don't throw 6 straight times in the redzone against the #1 ranked pass defense who also leads the league in sacks when you're averaging 5 yards-per-carry rushing that day and have Kyle Orton as your QB.

I don't care how open anyone was. Kyle Orton is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and you have to figure his historically inconsistent play into your playcalling decisions. Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon would have almost definitely got us TDs on those drives.

@YardsPerPass

This is the 3rd down pass to Hogan, a much tougher throw than the 4th down play, but there is space #Bills

B2LDhoTCIAEWxA6.jpg

This is the 4th down play... Sammy is pretty open, no idea why Orton's throw was so off #Bills

B2LC60SCEAAmkvh.jpg

@YardsPerPass

On 1st and 2nd down... everyone was blanketed... but those last 2 plays.... you would hope that Orton would complete 1 of them #Bills

On the last 4 plays... the Chiefs rushed 5 (cov1 man) on 1st down and then played coverage on the last 3, (cov4, rushed 3w/ cov4, cov2man)

On the bright side... I thought the OL was vastly improved and at least Orton threw to the open guy on the last 2 plays #Bills #8-8

On the Bryce Brown almost TD, really nice blocking by OL, especially Wood and Henderson #Bills

B2LIrzGCQAAChHD.jpg

@YardsPerPass

I'm pretty sure the Chandler overthrow for a TD was a play the coaches put in for the game... don't think I've seen it before #Bills

Here's the miss to 84, really nice play design, mimics the flat to TE that they always run. Chiefs stare at 14 #Bills

B2LKXWMIAAAVxQX.jpg

I thought the OL might have played its best game all season. #GoodNews

Yet another thread complaining about play calling and not describing what the actual plays were or the route combinations. People cry when the Bills run too much in a win. Now they cry when pass plays are called but Orton either misses a guy or doesn't see other wide open receivers. Straight up nonsense. When Orton took his shots at the end zone at the end of the game, does anyone really think that there weren't any underneath routes being run by the other eligible wide receivers? Guys got open, and Orton missed them. This game came down to execution. How can one complain about play calling when it seems many have no understanding of what they are watching? Yes, of course, Orton only had one option on any of those pass plays to end the game. Hacket obviously calls plays that give Orton only one target per play. Blame Hacket for everything all you want but the players lost this game, not the coaches.

OK, maybe you take one shot at the EZ. Then you call a 2 yard run play for a fresh set of downs!! Brown, Boobie and Freddy---and they can't come up with a run play in that situation??

People want to go on about penalties and fumbles---this game, in the redzone, was a disaster. Too many points left on the board, so that, when the fumbles (and the D's 4th Q surrender) came, it was close enough that we lost.

Marrone a dn Hackett are .500 in the Big East (football!). They just don't belong here...

i don't disagree that we could have taken a run play in the 2nd last drive being in the 2-3 yard line. But the plays were there. 2 potential TDs that Orton missed. Again, the play calls were right. Orton missed it.

As far as the last drive, there is reason to not go for first downs or runs. If the play is not in the end zone, the clock continues and if you don't make it, the clock continues to run. Again, the plays were correct. They didn't get in and had a shot again. If McKelvin breaks it for 30 yards on a return were taking a serious shot at the End Zone instead of some gimmicky throw back plays.

Yet another thread complaining about play calling and not describing what the actual plays were or the route combinations. People cry when the Bills run too much in a win. Now they cry when pass plays are called

Do I really have to explain why fans would want the Bills to PASS in the redzone against a team like the Jets but RUN in the redzone against a team like KC?

I don't care what the routes were or were supposed to be. When facing the #1 ranked pass defense who is also top 3 in the league in sacks, AND you're averaging 5 yards per carry throughout the whole game, you should pound it in.

Both of the redzone drives were insanely stupid. You don't throw 6 straight times in the redzone against the #1 ranked pass defense who also leads the league in sacks when you're averaging 5 yards-per-carry rushing that day and have Kyle Orton as your QB.

I don't care how open anyone was. Kyle Orton is not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and you have to figure his historically inconsistent play into your playcalling decisions. Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon would have almost definitely got us TDs on those drives.

and when you run it and the clock continues to run with almost no time left as it is and down by a TD? Doesn't make sense. Again. The play calls were correct. The Quarterback play was not.

and when you run it and the clock continues to run with almost no time left as it is and down by a TD? Doesn't make sense. Again. The play calls were correct. The Quarterback play was not.

This argument is logically inconsistent. If they're going for it on fourth down, then they're treating that possession as if it's their last. Therefore, running the time down is a positive, not a negative.

Do I really have to explain why fans would want the Bills to PASS in the redzone against a team like the Jets but RUN in the redzone against a team like KC?

I don't care what the routes were or were supposed to be. When facing the #1 ranked pass defense who is also top 3 in the league in sacks, AND you're averaging 5 yards per carry throughout the whole game, you should pound it in.

Fascinating. Just because of a statistical ranking as a top pass defense, you believe that passing was a bad idea despite route combinations that consistently yielded open receivers for the QB. Now I get it. I don't understand the logic but I guess that is your belief. This game for me was defined by players having their numbers called in big situations and some of them came up small or outright put the ball on the ground. It happens.