2014 Top WR's and where they were drafted

he actually lists "serious football fan" on job applications.

Yeah, he started calling me a "casual" in another thread and must have liked it. He's consistently one of the worst posters that we have. His contributions include profound thoughts like "you need a good QB." It's amazing that someone could have that many posts and never say anything of substance.

Oh well, I enjoy intelligent football conversation with the overwhelming majority of people on here (at least as intelligent as someone with my football accumen can comprehend).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes he did, though not sure I'd call it big time. Welcome to the club. Drafting QB's is probably the position in all of football with the least sucess. That's the problem in football there are 32 teams in the league and around a dozen really top level QB's. So you take chances on guys, cross your fingers and hope they work out. If not you start again, just like everyone else does. Every team and GM in the league has failed repeatedly to draft a great QB.

i just don't get the love for whaley here. he swung and missed big time with manuel. it's

Yeah, he started calling me a "casual" in another thread and must have liked it. He's consistently one of the worst posters that we have. His contributions include profound thoughts like "you need a good QB." It's amazing that someone could have that many posts and never say anything of substance.

Oh well, I enjoy intelligent football conversation with the overwhelming majority of people on here (at least as intelligent as someone with my football accumen can comprehend).

i feel like this is the part where i am supposed to pat you on the head and say "good kirby...."

we do what we can to make you feel included!

Thanks!! I'm learning so much from you. Thanks for teaching a casual football fan like myself so much about the game. TBD is so lucky to have you and all of your knowledge. I can't wait to learn more. I learned something from you in another thread too! I didn't realize that it was important to have a good QB? It's that kind of profound thought that gives you such a strong reputation around here. You are certainly one of the most respected posters on here but I'm sure people tell you that all the time.

Now I know we've entered the crazy zone...the guy that has worked for multiple pro franchises across multiple sports, and has brought as much insight from inside the doors of One Bills Drive to this board as anyone else in recent memory, is a casual fan?

I wish you would've told me sooner, Kirby. I would've known to ignore your insights that have been so valuable over the years.

Calvin Johnson, Aj Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White = 0 superbowls

Casuals need to learn that "high impact" WR's are not the answer to championships.

Dude you are either trolling, in which case, congrats you have stolen five minutes from my day or you are making a case for dumbest poster on here- right up there with a gentleman with a name eerily similar to your own. Do you not realize that I could do this at any position? Who are the consensus "big four" QB's?" Manning- 1st overall, Brady- 6th rounder, Brees- 2nd rounder and Rodgers- what, 24th overall? It is not an exact science drafting at any position, that's the point. Sammy Watkins was about as sure a thing as you're gonna find. And please don't make the "zero super bowls" argument. JJ Watt will have zero super bowls after this season. Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Darelle Revis = zero super bowls. It takes 53 my friend. But what do I know, I'm just a casual fan.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

My point is that you don't need to even draft high in the 1st round to get viable WR's and that WR's are not the thing that leads to winning in the NFL. QB's make the best WR's in the game. WR's are an area like running backs, you don't make myopic front office moves to improve those positions. The Falcons are currently learning that lesson.

For all this bluster you have yet to say who you would have drafted instead. You claim that it's QB or bust, but who would you have drafted in this class of QBs or this incoming class of QBs at 9? Bortles couldn't have been had, the Jags weren't moving off their pick.

So, educate us casuals... who does the mastermind take instead? Or are you just going to harp on the pick without providing alternatives (in other words: trolling)?

i feel like this is the part where i am supposed to pat you on the head and say "good kirby...."

we do what we can to make you feel included!

Ha ha, thanks NoSaint for lifting my spirits.

I really hate this place after a loss. It's bad enough when the Bills win and people start predicting double digit victories at New England. After a loss though all of the trolls come out and do the exact opposite (double digit loss at Oakland). The truth is always somewhere in the middle but the most recent result always determines which side will do the "I told you so."

yes he did, though not sure I'd call it big time. Welcome to the club. Drafting QB's is probably the position in all of football with the least sucess. That's the problem in football there are 32 teams in the league and around a dozen really top level QB's. So you take chances on guys, cross your fingers and hope they work out. If not you start again, just like everyone else does. Every team and GM in the league has failed repeatedly to draft a great QB.

exactly. and your odds are best when you do it in the first round. ain't gonna happen next year. hasn't happened nearly often enough. will that change now? will need to wait two years to find out.

Yup that is my biggest gripe. It's not about the alternative players I would choose instead of Watkins, it is the philosophy of spending lots of present and future resources on 1 WR when it has continually shown they are not part of the makeup needed to win championships.

Coward's answer there. Takes no balls to trash the pick without having a viable alternative of your own to present.

There are some rules to live by in life.

One is don't trade up. You shoudl only move down and get more draft picks. Nothing wrong with taking a WR high or any position in my opinion. Talented players are needed everywhere. That is the my point though. The Bills need more talented players in lots of places.

Never trade up. The draft is a total crap shoot and then add the injury issue. Draft more guys and then maybe you don't have the worst collection of TE's and guards in the NFL. They finally improved the overall LB play but half of those guys are/were FA's. Brown and Bradham are great examples of getting a quality contributors later in the draft.

Trade down. Don't give up multiple picks for a single guy.

There are some rules to live by in life.

One is don't trade up. You shoudl only move down and get more draft picks. Nothing wrong with taking a WR high or any position in my opinion. Talented players are needed everywhere. That is the my point though. The Bills need more talented players in lots of places.

Never trade up. The draft is a total crap shoot and then add the injury issue. Draft more guys and then maybe you don't have the worst collection of TE's and guards in the NFL. They finally improved the overall LB play but half of those guys are/were FA's. Brown and Bradham are great examples of getting a quality contributors later in the draft.

Trade down. Don't give up multiple picks for a single guy.

I honestly don't see how you can justify that.

Only with hindsight can one clearly identify who the great-value players are going to be with any accuracy. Without that benefit, it's a crap shoot.

Teams trade up and get great players, and teams trade up and pick busts. It happens.

Only with hindsight can one clearly identify who the great-value players are going to be with any accuracy. Without that benefit, it's a crap shoot.

Teams trade up and get great players, and teams trade up and pick busts. It happens.

perhaps the bills should fire up the analytics commodore 64 and look at historical trends more closely. shouldn't be too difficult to find out how many teams went to the playoffs within two years of trading up in the first round. that would be a meaningful metric given the win today view that most in the nfl take. if it's less than 50/50, it probably shouldn't be done as in that case it's no longer a crapshoot but a statistical likelihood.

Casual Greggy, I can't explain what you don't understand anyways. I think I have made my above point quite clear.

You have made your point quite clear: You like to complain without providing alternatives. This assures you always have the higher ground in discussions, which is pretty awesome for you but completely devoid of insight and a waste of time on a message board. In short, it's the coward's way to converse, and you got it in spades.

But I get it. Some people don't have the ability to create original thoughts, but everyone likes to complain.

That's the point. It's a crap shoot. You increase your odds with more picks.

There are a lot of people I would call causal fans here and Kirby wouldn't come close to that list, if you're going to call out someone at least use one of the plethora of awful posters.

i only post while wearing business casual. does that make me a casual?

That's the point. It's a crap shoot. You increase your odds with more picks.

But at some point, you have to use those picks and take a chance, right? So why not take a chance on the guy that every scout and GM says is not only a can't miss but a future super-star? Otherwise, you're just doubling down on later round guys who might be good but probably won't ever be great.