Halftime

Simon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many regular season snaps has Woods lost because of this "issue"?

Who knows. Some. There were several plays last week that had Hogan and Sammy as the only WR. That should never happen IMO. Hogan did zero in the Jet game, unless you want to call catching a 14 yard pass on third and 15 something when he came back for the ball 2-3 yards (he needed to go beyond the first down before coming back).

Except Urbik?

FANS think Urbik is better than Richardson...its not fact that Urbik is indeed a better player than Richardson

I will reserve judgement on the Urbik issue, have no clue why we waited so long to insert Urbik but I cant believe it was because Marrone "doesnt like him" - in one game he certainly played wayyyyy better than Richardson, and im hoping that continues....

maybe Richardson looks really good in 1 on 1s/in practice and shows a lot of potential but it doesnt translate to games?

maybe Urbik's history of not being a great guard made Marrone try to "chase greatness" in Richardson?

maybe, like EJ, Marrone thought Richardson just needed time to develop?

Richardson DID HAVE some really solid moments, especially in the run game....sooooo I cant say he should have been taken out immediately. The plan was obviously to go with C. Williams, but he got hurt, and we have been scrambling ever since......but how the coach handles a LG spot should get him and his staff cleaned out?

ummmmm yes he was trying to teach Woods a lesson, IT WORKED, and Woods even said so himself...soooooo why is this a problem??

I must have missed this, do you have an article or source of this? Not calling you out or saying it didn't happen, just that I missed the Woods saying it worked and some of the conclusion I guess that seems to have been made on it.

Who knows. Some. There were several plays last week that had Hogan and Sammy as the only WR. That should never happen IMO. Hogan did zero in the Jet game, unless you want to call catching a 14 yard pass on third and 15 something when he came back for the ball 2-3 yards (he needed to go beyond the first down before coming back).

On the Sammy non-td, Woods went down with an injury and missed a significant portion of the game.

I must have missed this, do you have an article or source of this? Not calling you out or saying it didn't happen, just that I missed the Woods saying it worked and some of the conclusion I guess that seems to have been made on it.

here is the link http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/woods-mindset-is-to-be-bills-no-1-receiver-20140911?two-bills-drive

here is the quotes: "“That’s football. The competition level is going to be high. If the coaches see something they like, they want to go with it and test it out,” Woods said. “They challenged me to compete, pretty much. They wanted me to keep fighting and make plays.”

"“It was beneficial because it gave me insight into the situation. I didn’t know really what was going on,” Woods said. “I felt like I was working hard. He came and spoke to me, gave me his opinion and what he thought of it. He wanted me to just step it up a little bit, and I responded, I think.”

On the Sammy non-td, Woods went down with an injury and missed a significant portion of the game.

That's true. I forgot about that.

Still, it's a combination of Marrone's (IMO dumb) infatuation with Hogan, and his possible vendetta against Williams. I don't know the reason, but Marrone's own clearly stated reason for playing Hogan instead of Williams was proven not true when Woods, as you said, was briefly out of the game with the back issue. Marrone constantly said that Williams was an outside guy, and they liked Hogan in the slot. And that Woods is also good in the slot, but Williams was second on the outside. if that were true, Hogan would have been only in on three WR sets and Williams would have been in on the outside replacing Woods. That happened a few plays but he should have played more.

Fantastic post Simon, you've been missed greatly. Hope you're here to stay.

Im guilty of hating on the playcalling and you raise an exellent point about calling plays that the OL is capable of executing but if thats the case Whaley needs to do whatever is necessary to fix this issue asap. Also, this doesnt seem to prevent Hackett from dialing up failed screen passes time and time again.

What Id really like to s e from this offense are short 3 step drop, plant, fire. lets get the ball in the WRs hands on first and second down instead of same ol same ol. That doesnt mean they dont run it as often as they throw it but it hat they mix it up with safe passes that arent likely to end in sacks or picks. One of the reasons the run game is failing is because of he lack of throws on 1st and 2nd down. Mix it up and I think everything comes easier.

Good thread.

I agree 100% about Marrone. As I said elsewhere re: the Urbik thing, Marrone would rather lose doing it "Doug's Way" than win doing it someone else's way. That makes him a jerk. It would be ok if he was an uber-successful jerk - the NFL has seen a number of those. The problem is that he hasn't been - we'll see where the chips fall when the season's over.

What Id really like to s e from this offense are short 3 step drop, plant, fire. lets get the ball in the WRs hands on first and second down instead of same ol same ol. That doesnt mean they dont run it as often as they throw it but it hat they mix it up with safe passes that arent likely to end in sacks or picks. One of the reasons the run game is failing is because of he lack of throws on 1st and 2nd down. Mix it up and I think everything comes easier.

Precisely. Not to mention that it is one of Orton's strengths, to drop back and throw darts to WR on the run, and it is Watkins and Woods strengths, to do quick slants and get open and catch balls like that.

Good thread.

I agree 100% about Marrone. As I said elsewhere re: the Urbik thing, Marrone would rather lose doing it "Doug's Way" than win doing it someone else's way. That makes him a jerk. It would be ok if he was an uber-successful jerk - the NFL has seen a number of those. The problem is that he hasn't been - we'll see where the chips fall when the season's over.

again....what do we KNOW about Urbik not doing it "Dougs Way" and thus not playing???? Is this stated somewhere or are fans just guessing at why Urbik was not playing?

And as you say, the NFL has seen a number of successful jerks, and IF Doug is truly a jerk (and not just fans blowing smoke), all good jerk coaches have to start as an unknown or unsuccessful jerk coach first right? Maybe we have our very own successful jerk coach in the making right here

again....what do we KNOW about Urbik not doing it "Dougs Way" and thus not playing???? Is this stated somewhere or are fans just guessing at why Urbik was not playing?

And as you say, the NFL has seen a number of successful jerks, and IF Doug is truly a jerk (and not just fans blowing smoke), all good jerk coaches have to start as an unknown or unsuccessful jerk coach first right? Maybe we have our very own successful jerk coach in the making right here

It's a message board. people are going to have opinions, and some are more informed or educated than others. That is not something that anyone is likely to ever "know" for sure, because no one is going to say it to the media. So if you're looking for proof, you're right, no one is going to know. It's all about observations and conclusions.

Personally, I'm split on Marrone. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first. I have seen some very good things out of him and some questionable ones. I don't think he is good at in game decisions but he has shown to be a little better lately. I do think he gets his team ready and they play hard for him.

The end result is wins, and I think we as Bills fans, kind of have to be happy being 5-3 right now. If, before the season, you would have said the Bills better be 6-2 before the bye week with this schedule, that would have been lofty expectations to say the least. There are some things I just don't like about him but I am very willing to forget the and be happy with him if he gets us in the playoffs. Anything short, right now, with this team, at this point, is probably a disappointment.

Ok man - you've made that point. It's getting tiresome. This is a message board. The vast majority of us do not have empirical evidence to base our opinions on - we're forced to rely on circumstances and conjecture. So let's just agree that that's what we have, and you can stop hijacking this thread.

It's a message board. people are going to have opinions, and some are more informed or educated than others. That is not something that anyone is likely to ever "know" for sure, because no one is going to say it to the media. So if you're looking for proof, you're right, no one is going to know. It's all about observations and conclusions.

Personally, I'm split on Marrone. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first. I have seen some very good things out of him and some questionable ones. I don't think he is good at in game decisions but he has shown to be a little better lately. I do think he gets his team ready and they play hard for him.

The end result is wins, and I think we as Bills fans, kind of have to be happy being 5-3 right now. If, before the season, you would have said the Bills better be 6-2 before the bye week with this schedule, that would have been lofty expectations to say the least. There are some things I just don't like about him but I am very willing to forget the and be happy with him if he gets us in the playoffs. Anything short, right now, with this team, at this point, is probably a disappointment.

Ha we made the same point at the same time. Don't cross the streams.

Ok man - you've made that point. It's getting tiresome. This is a message board. The vast majority of us do not have empirical evidence to base our opinions on - we're forced to rely on circumstances and conjecture. So let's just agree that that's what we have, and you can stop hijacking this thread.

Ha we made the same point at the same time. Don't cross the streams.

sorry if its getting "tiresome" to you but it was an honest question that ive been asking repeatedly because people, all season, have been bringing up this Marrone thing so I felt like I MUST HAVE missed something that someone actually said...so i was not looking for empirical evidence but rather what I personally must have missed....but it seems like, as you said, its simply just fans hating based on guess

and you dont have to be a dick about it (see Kelly The Dog's much less a$$holish response to the same topic and maybe learn from it)

Does anyone care to address my comment up-thread about the obvious improvement in the Bills' mental and physical toughness since Marrone arrived? Am I incorrect? And if we agree this is the case, how does that mesh with concerns about Marrone rubbing players the wrong way?

Does anyone care to address my comment up-thread about the obvious improvement in the Bills' mental and physical toughness since Marrone arrived? Am I incorrect? And if we agree this is the case, how does that mesh with concerns about Marrone rubbing players the wrong way?

Can't a coach instill physical and mental toughness without needlessly alienating important veteran players? Marrone kept Urbik on the shelf simply to prove a point, and allowed the on-field product to suffer - again, simply to show who's boss. That isn't the way to instill toughness. It's the Greg Schiano One-And-Done Special.

sorry if its getting "tiresome" to you but it was an honest question that ive been asking repeatedly because people, all season, have been bringing up this Marrone thing so I felt like I MUST HAVE missed something that someone actually said...so i was not looking for empirical evidence but rather what I personally must have missed....but it seems like, as you said, its simply just fans hating based on guess

and you dont have to be a dick about it (see Kelly The Dog's much less a$$holish response to the same topic and maybe learn from it)

The OP creates a fantastic, well-written halftime assessment and you continue to harp on how much you love Marrone.

Appreciate a good thread instead of going on and on about "proof".