Taxpayers Subsidize HarborCenter 57 million

The Pentagon's budget is bloated, yes. We've had the lead in defense for a long time. We just need to be smart about when we take to the offense, because our borders only stretch so far. Everything else can be hostile territory, which is harder to "defend." I think we're trying to be smart, but I'm a little anxious about cyber-security.

The thing about Pegula, is that he hides his intentions. That's no straight criticism, but I factor it, based upon history. He buys the Sabres, says he'll drill another gas well. Everyone thought he was joking, but he was still speculating and drilling test wells left and right, which is how he built the value, to then sell land and buy the Bills. I simply accept it.

Here's my thing: In the Southern Tier of New York State, there's a point in the western hills, where the water runs North, rather than South. This area has been leased for fracking, and the water affects Buffalo, Rochester, and the Finger Lakes Region.

You can say, that no health effects have been proven (not, google it), but even in Pennsylvannia, the shale is 2x deeper that in New York State. Pegula hides his intentions. The benefit of the doubt crowd can be ignored they are so far behind the curve.

In all honesty, there are parts of New York, I wouldn't mind being fracked. Frack downstream PA. It's already fracked.

Will you pick a topic and stick with it, you !@#$ing loon?

Ah, yes, I'm not angry about Pegula building the HarborCenter, but I don't need any tit-for-fracking-tat when he already got the tax breaks.

You need to find a board that consists of people with ADHD and post there. Maybe find out where Obama focuses his razor sharp laser at?

To be fair, he has been dead for over 90 years. It's amazing he can communicate at all.

Not only is he able to communicate from beyond the grave, he was able to vote for Obama twice

You need to find a board that consists of people with ADHD and post there. Maybe find out where Obama focuses his razor sharp laser at?

The phrase that caught my attention was, "...usual criminal coercive cut". From those who pull the "how are you going to pay for it" objection everytime a program to help the poor is propsed for example, seem to think their military is free or should only be paid for by working class folks. Never mind that a business could lead to a need for more fire and police services, or roads to support their businesses. Nah, they shouldn't contribute at least that's what the far right thinks. Tax breaks are fine when thoughtfully implemented. Yet to generallly call taxes the " usual criminal coercive cut" is sadly misguided at best.......

d/c should speak only for himself (and whichever aliases he chooses to admit). this post flew just fine for me.

A 205 room Marriott, at $200/night at 80% occupancy rate (not unreasonable numbers - in line with the Courtyard Downtown/Canalside) generates about two million in annual tax revenue (at 8% sales tax and 8% occupancy tax).

And that's a low-ball estimate.

And that's the hotel alone.

Why don't you come back when you know something about the development and its tax implications?

And don't give me that bull **** "57 minus 2 is 55" answer you gave on the other board. That's a grossly overly-simplistic, childish, and moronic view of the tax breaks. Like I said...come back when you know something about the development and its tax implications.

How about pointing out the construction jobs? How about the $134 million per job is only one year yet these jobs will be there for decades, hopefully. The future sales tax revenue, the added businesses, the skaters spending money downtown instead of in the burbs?

It's called investment. No different than the government directly spending the money. Sort of like Obama's stimulus :)

It certainly is different. The govt is stepping back and not taking a cut of the action in this case. They're not "spending" any money that they already have. "Stimulus" money is real dollars collected by the coercive Goliath and spent willy nilly on pet projects to benefit the financial interests of people that in turn make large donations to the campaigns of those doling out the taxpayer's cash.

and birdbrain i'm not dctom

Edited by Nanker

It certainly is different. The govt is stepping back and not taking a cut of the action in this case. They're not "spending" any money that they already have. "Stimulus" money is real dollars collected by the coercive Goliath and spent willy nilly on pet projects to benefit the financial interests of people that in turn make large donations to the campaigns of those doling out the taxpayer's cash.

and birdbrain i'm not dctom

That's some good ****! (cough).

So my gov't is giving up future income, on a bet, on credit. The campaign donations go a long way towards proving that Pegula is a good investment for running campaigns. Meanwhile, I'll be paying more to my gov't, 'cause he'll be paying less to my gov't. I feel like I'm getting the short end on that deal.

That's some good ****! (cough).

So my gov't is giving up future income, on a bet, on credit. The campaign donations go a long way towards proving that Pegula is a good investment for running campaigns. Meanwhile, I'll be paying more to my gov't, 'cause he'll be paying less to my gov't. I feel like I'm getting the short end on that deal.

Did...

Did you... yeah...

Did you just assert that you'll be paying less in NY taxes than Terry Pegula?

Meanwhile, I'll be paying more to my gov't, 'cause he'll be paying less to my gov't. I feel like I'm getting the short end on that deal.

Did...

Did you... yeah...

Did you just assert that you'll be paying less in NY taxes than Terry Pegula?

No TYTT, Frankie just singing the same old left refrain.

The Government needs "X" amount, and if mean old Pegula isn't made to pay his "fair share", then Frankie will have to pay more to make up the difference.

It's not remotely how things work in the real world, but thats the mantra and they won't stop chanting it.........................lol

Right. It would be far better for Buffalo to have a deserted downtown filled with the crumbling decay of urban blight than to forgo collecting regressive taxes and arbitrary fees. After all what's a government for if not to forcibly coerce money out of the private sector for the enrichment of the masses?

Yeah? Well, since I was standing there checking it out last weekend, and driving by it on the 190?

That's perhaps the best thing the city has done for its image since the Bison's stadium. It's not even done, but it already looks cool as hell, and it changes the entire complexion of the city. It's going to be awfully tough for the typical "I've been to Buffalo( == drove by it on the highway) and it's a schithole" people to maintain that BS.

It's going to be worth every penny, since it has already attracted the NHL combine and draft in just 2 years, before its even finished. Not to mention all the other tournaments/championships that are coming. The revenue alone for the local businesses, which creates, God forbid, a tax base in Buffalo, is worth it.

Some in this thread don't seem to understand the concept of a tax base, since for our entire liftetimes...Buffalo has systematically destroyed its tax base. So, I'll explain: a tax base is comprised of BUSINESSES. Businesses are where tax $ comes from. Even Bono understands this this now.

Hint: you can't demand that businesses pay for the roads and water and whatever they use....if there aren't any businesses left to demand that from. since all the businesses have left town due to your last round of unreasonable demands.

This is the fundamental flaw of the "you didn't build that" argument. Businesses made money 1st, THEN, they paid the taxes to create the roads. Not the other way around. Without Free Enterprise, there would be no Enterprise....Air Craft Carrier, Enterprise Space Shuttle, etc. There would be no Starfleet Enterprise!

If you drive out the businesses with high taxes, only to feed corruption/the Democrat government make-work machine, and then demand that eveyone gets a "living wage" in your city? Businesss leave. Then guess what you get? 0 taxes, Great plan! :rolleyes: Instead of being happy with the taxes you had, now you get 0. Oh, and btw, now you have more unemployed people, and have to start laying off the make-work people too, because? Less tax $..

So, now you've created more poor people, AND, you have less money to spend on them. Spending less/0 money on poor people....is how you get crime(according to liberals like you. The truth is spending $ has no effect. You get crime via broken/abusive families, period.)

But yeah: keep talking about demanding more tax $ from the "corporations". It's worked so well for Buffalo for the last 50 years. :rolleyes:

I see stuff like this and I can't help but ask: how can anyone support doing the same thing, every year, for 50 years, expect different results, and then turn around and not only keep voting for 100% Democrat control, but complain about the state of the city/jobs/the local economy/opportunity for minorities/crime?

How stupid do you have to be? This is not ignorance. This is a choice. Therefore, stupid is the right word. Byron Brown is by all accounts, the most corrupt politician Buffalo has ever seen(and that's saying a lot), but even he was smart enough to lower property taxes.

So, maybe there is hope?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/solarcity-factory-could-grow-again-if-company-needs-to-expand-20141106

This seems like a big deal and state is forking over a lot of money to help create these jobs.

* Seems like low voltage LED lights are making solar much more feasible. Love how that works, changes in one technology make another technology doable. Hope it works out

http://www.buffalone...expand-20141106

This seems like a big deal and state is forking over a lot of money to help create these jobs.

* Seems like low voltage LED lights are making solar much more feasible. Love how that works, changes in one technology make another technology doable. Hope it works out

Has it ever occurred to you that the state wouldn't have to be forking over money to create jobs today(not that I subscribe to this notiion), if they state hadn't spent the last 60 years destroying those jobs in the first place, whith higher taxes and regulations?

Edited by OCinBuffalo