Guys on big money deals / now available in trade - buyer beware?

Interesting stuff from Bill Barnwell at Grantland, whom I don't always agree with.

It feels like we dodged a bullet with Levitre -- though maybe he would have been a different player had he stayed. Maybe he would have regressed just the same, with Marrone not seeming to do as much with OL talent as we would hope for a former OL coach. Regardless, we may have guards that suck, but at least we don't have EXTREMELY expensive guards that suck, right?

Funny stuff given that the team was lambasted for not overpaying Levitre. I was in favor of keeping both him and Byrd. Right now, if faced with the same results with these players on their roster, the Bills would be borderline crippled this season. Sometimes, the FO is right.

All the same, would you bring in Levitre if it just meant eating the salary? I'd entertain the idea in hopes that a change-of-scenery / return-to-familiarity would help. I imagine Wood would feel a lot better with Levitre by his side than with Richardson or Kuandijo right now.

There are other interesting candidates on the list like Cook, and I'd at least think about Gerhart or Brown if they came for dirt cheap, though both kind of suck.

All the same, would you bring in Levitre if it just meant eating the salary? I'd entertain the idea in hopes that a change-of-scenery / return-to-familiarity would help. I imagine Wood would feel a lot better with Levitre by his side than with Richardson or Kuandijo right now.

Unfortunately the familiarity would not be there; Marrone's biggest mistake was firing entire coaching staff. Joe D'Alessandris, the OL coach, was a great one and able to get a lot more out of late round rookies and OL taken out of other teams' scrap heaps.

Who knows Levitre's contract? I thought it was $46 million...$21 guaranteed? Since we would be off the hook for the guarantee and 1.5 seasons I wonder what would be left and what they would want for him. It would be worth entertaining. I think Tennessee has a different front office than signed Levitre or it was their first year.

Edited by Manther

Who knows Levitre's contract? I thought it was $46 million...$21 guaranteed? Since we would be off the hook for the guarantee and 1.5 seasons I wonder what would be left and what they would want for him. It would be worth entertaining. I think Tennessee has a different front office than signed Levitre or it was their first year.

If traded, Titans would be stuck with a dead cap hit of $8.4M.

The team trading for him would be up for a $6.5M/year salary (till 2017)......though none of it would be guaranteed.

I really can't see any team paying $6.5M for a guy who apparently has regressed to a backup calibre player.

Edited by Dibs

Unfortunately the familiarity would not be there; Marrone's biggest mistake was firing entire coaching staff. Joe D'Alessandris, the OL coach, was a great one and able to get a lot more out of late round rookies and OL taken out of other teams' scrap heaps.

Don't blame that on Marrone. Joe D' and the entire coaching was gone before Marrone was hired.

http://grantland.com...t-percy-harvin/

Interesting if accurate...As it is, a team trading for Levitre would pay that $3.8 million this year and basically get him on a four-year, $25.3 million deal with team options before each season. That’s an average of $6.3 million per year, which would still probably overpay Levitre, but it could be an opportunity for some team to buy low given Levitre’s previous stock.

Edited by ricojes

Don't blame that on Marrone. Joe D' and the entire coaching was gone before Marrone was hired.

Marrone refused to interview any former asst coaches, because he wanted to bring in his staff with loads of NFL experience.

But Wood is still here, as is Urbik. Though Urbik must both possess nude photos of someone and have slept with someone's wife. There isn't an explanation for why he's still here AND isn't getting to play.

Marrone refused to interview any former asst coaches, because he wanted to bring in his staff with loads of NFL experience.

That's what I recall as well. Marrone the meathead.

Bills fans will start pronouncing his name like Italians say Madonna soon.