All-22 Review - Bills/Patriots

angryfan62

It is what I've thought it's been for years, poor coaching. We have guys that are actually good enough to win games like this, if they were being placed in a position to make a play. CJ may not be the 2nd coming of Jim Brown but when you see him on whatever team he ends up on next season we are going to realize that this kid doesn't suck half as bad as we thought he did this year running dozens of times out of the shotgun directly into the center of the opposing defense. The receiver we gave up our 1st rounder for is actually pretty good, if you actually throw him the ball sometimes. Our guys on defense played very hard, but to quote the author of this piece: "The flippant nature of their defense of Gronkowski, defies logic". Marrone is going to do this his way, whether or not his way actually works best. Our team can always use some better players especially on the O line and secondary but I believe now as I have for years that this teams most pressing need is coaching. LINK

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually points out pretty well that they weren't getting the ball to Sammy enough. Even if there were good, positive plays to other receivers, the whole point of getting it in his hands is to score or get close to that possibility. NE knows they have this kind of weapon in Gronk. We used ours as a decoy.

This actually points out pretty well that they weren't getting the ball to Sammy enough. Even if there were good, positive plays to other receivers, the whole point of getting it in his hands is to score or get close to that possibility. NE knows they have this kind of weapon in Gronk. We used ours as a decoy.

The Lions have used Calvin Johnson as a decoy to great effect in the first couple games.

Also, while Jeremy White isn't wrong about how Gronk vs. McKelvin is a bad match-up, I think he's unfairly critical on the Bills gameplan. We had a 3rd string CB/special teamer playing safety. What exactly are the Bills supposed to do to stop Gronk? Put Gilmore on an island? I'm sure even if we negated Gronk, we'd let up passing yards elsewhere, and Jeremy White could huff and puff about, "negating Gronk was awesome, but the Bills gameplan for LaFell and Edelman was completely inadequate." I mean, do these people see how other teams handle players like Gronk and Graham? They're valuable for a reason, it's because they're basically unstoppable, especially with HoF QB's under center. There's a reason that these guys rack up thousands of yards and 8 TD's a year, and it sure ain't because everyone's opposing defense sucks at game planning. Jeremy White on an All-22 for the Jets would've said they didn't gameplan enough to shut down Peyton.

It's nonsense.

Edited by FireChan

The Lions have used Calvin Johnson as a decoy to great effect in the first couple games. How are they doing?

Also, while Jeremy White isn't wrong about how Gronk vs. McKelvin is a bad match-up, I think he's unfairly critical on the Bills gameplan. We had a 3rd string CB/special teamer playing safety. What exactly are the Bills supposed to do to stop Gronk? Put Gilmore on an island? I'm sure even if we negated Gronk, we'd let up passing yards elsewhere, and Jeremy White could huff and puff about, "negating Gronk was awesome, but the Bills gameplan for LaFell and Edelman was completely inadequate." I mean, do these people see how other teams handle players like Gronk and Graham? They're valuable for a reason, it's because they're basically unstoppable, especially with HoF QB's under center. There's a reason that these guys rack up thousands of yards and 8 TD's a year, and it sure ain't because everyone's opposing defense sucks at game planning. Jeremy White on an All-22 for the Jets would've said they didn't gameplan enough to shut down Peyton.

It's nonsense.

I believe that the point Jeremy was trying to make is that whenever Gronk lined up wide, we "played man-to-man with one safety (that was no help) every time". "Every time" is the operative phrase, we tried the same method against him, every time, with exactly the same results. Now that may have been our "game plan", but when it was abundantly clear that the "plan" wasn't working something different should have been tried. That's what I meant by poor coaching, the "game plan" may have been to expect that Revis would "shut down" Watkins so we'll just use him as a decoy, but when it became evident during the game that Revis could not actually "shut him down" he should have been targeted. The failure to adjust one's "game plan" to fit in game realities is one of the hallmarks of bad coaching. Another is not letting the players that you have, do what they do best. This is why every game this season we will see a lightweight runningback with world class speed and elusiveness being handed the ball 5 yds behind the LOS in an attempt to run it straight ahead into the defensive line 6 to 12 times each game. Seriously...We need better coaching.

Edited by angryfan62

The Lions have used Calvin Johnson as a decoy to great effect in the first couple games.

The only reason they used Johnson as a decoy was because he was injured to the point that he couldn't run. His resume alone makes him an effective decoy -- but no coach in his right mind would ever use a healthy Megatron in such a manner.

Watching Watkins repeatedly run fly routes to drag Revis and a safety downfield is a bit worrying.

I dont think Sammie was a decoy I think they felt they could attack the pats down the middle of the field and thats what they stuck to . Ill wait and see what they do against the Vikings as I think after film review Orton and sammie will look to exploit those routes next week .

First week featured sammie

second week Chandler,Hogan and Woods

third week everyones involved and sammie gets a couple of bombs and rookie of the week

The only reason they used Johnson as a decoy was because he was injured to the point that he couldn't run. His resume alone makes him an effective decoy -- but no coach in his right mind would ever use a healthy Megatron in such a manner.

Watching Watkins repeatedly run fly routes to drag Revis and a safety downfield is a bit worrying.

Using Sammy as a decoy, while bad, would have worked if the defense could have stopped the Patriots* at all in the second half.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It is what I've thought it's been for years, poor coaching. We have guys that are actually good enough to win games like this, if they were being placed in a position to make a play. CJ may not be the 2nd coming of Jim Brown but when you see him on whatever team he ends up on next season we are going to realize that this kid doesn't suck half as bad as we thought he did this year running dozens of times out of the shotgun directly into the center of the opposing defense. The receiver we gave up our 1st rounder for is actually pretty good, if you actually throw him the ball sometimes. Our guys on defense played very hard, but to quote the author of this piece: "The flippant nature of their defense of Gronkowski, defies logic". Marrone is going to do this his way, whether or not his way actually works best. Our team can always use some better players especially on the O line and secondary but I believe now as I have for years that this teams most pressing need is coaching. LINK

Thanks for posting this. I focused on this matchup right from the start more than anything. But all one can see on TV is about 5 yards from line (unless they highlight). From that I thoughy sammy was getting separation. He has the perfect combination of size (not too big, not too small), upper body strength, and speed to matchup on Revis. But the problem was Orton would lock on the other side of the field and never look Watkins way. You can bet if the tables were turned pats would have thrown at Sammy right from the go to disrupt the plan and force the defense to give him more attention, deal a morale blow, and create more room for other wideouts. Watching the tape they'll figure this out and I expect better results next time. The narrative that Revis "shut down sammy" was nonsens . The bills and Orton did

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Remember how lame the defense was under Dave Wannstedt with just rushing the front four, and expecting that to work all game. It never did, and the defense that was bad under George Edwards was just as bad under Wannstedt.

Then what a breath of fresh air it was to have a DC like Pettine, and his blitz heavy schemes. He actually made use of those 9 of 11 first & second round draft picks on the defensive side.

The same will said when this team fires this staff, and hires people that know how to utilize the talent on hand. Marrone will go because he favors his buddy Crossman, and isn't helping his OC Hackett at all by making a good WR inactive over a TE for special teams. If you are going to game plan to throw 38 times you would think Sammy Watkins would be a big part of the offensive game plan, and the same with Mike Williams.

Bottom line: this coaching staff has shown that they can't compete against Bill Belichick, and the better teams. This team lost to Ryan Fitzpatrick :doh:

Remember how lame the defense was under Dave Wannstedt with just rushing the front four, and expecting that to work all game. It never did, and the defense that was bad under George Edwards was just as bad under Wannstedt.

Then what a breath of fresh air it was to have a DC like Pettine, and his blitz heavy schemes. He actually made use of those 9 of 11 first & second round draft picks on the defensive side.

The same will said when this team fires this staff, and hires people that know how to utilize the talent on hand. Marrone will go because he favors his buddy Crossman, and isn't helping his OC Hackett at all by making a good WR inactive over a TE for special teams. If you are going to game plan to throw 38 times you would think Sammy Watkins would be a big part of the offensive game plan, and the same with Mike Williams.

Bottom line: this coaching staff has shown that they can't compete against Bill Belichick, and the better teams. This team lost to Ryan Fitzpatrick :doh:

basically we have detroit's defense. Strong front-7, but a secondary thats vulnerable. And overall a defense that can have lapses late and give up leads - Texans at end of first half hit a big one that kept them in it, and if Robey doesn't take the right angle on golden showers, we lose to detroit on something like an 80-yard TD

I believe that the point Jeremy was trying to make is that whenever Gronk lined up wide, we "played man-to-man with one safety (that was no help) every time". "Every time" is the operative phrase, we tried the same method against him, every time, with exactly the same results. Now that may have been our "game plan", but when it was abundantly clear that the "plan" wasn't working something different should have been tried. That's what I meant by poor coaching, the "game plan" may have been to expect that Revis would "shut down" Watkins so we'll just use him as a decoy, but when it became evident during the game that Revis could not actually "shut him down" he should have been targeted. The failure to adjust one's "game plan" to fit in game realities is one of the hallmarks of bad coaching. Another is not letting the players that you have, do what they do best. This is why every game this season we will see a lightweight runningback with world class speed and elusiveness being handed the ball 5 yds behind the LOS in an attempt to run it straight ahead into the defensive line 6 to 12 times each game. Seriously...We need better coaching.

this is well said, it hits my frustrations exactly . . . change things up when it is nott working. As a matter of fact, sometimes you need to just change things to change them, so the opposition can't get in a grove.

It is so exasperating watching the offensive plays calls—and really, so predictable. And while Schwartz has done some really good things, against a good team like NE, you have to blitz once in a while. Uuuggggghhhh!!!!!

basically we have detroit's defense. Strong front-7, but a secondary thats vulnerable. And overall a defense that can have lapses late and give up leads - Texans at end of first half hit a big one that kept them in it, and if Robey doesn't take the right angle on golden showers, we lose to detroit on something like an 80-yard TD

The Bills were so lucky to win that Lions game. Currently Buffalo is ranked #11th in total defense, 29th against the pass, #3 against the run. Detroit #1 overall in total defense, 5th against the pass & 5th against the run.

The Lions must have had severe mental lapses on D to allow Orton 308 yards passing, or they just didn't have any game film on him, so they didn't know what to expect. The Bills have 6 CB's on the roster, and the two starters are #1 picks, so you would think they would play better then they have.

I think we see an entire new coaching staff next year.

I don't understand the heart burn over this loss.

Spiller was Spiller can't find a whole as big as a truck and puts the ball on the ground.

Orton was Orton hustling, leading, trying hard but makes a costly turnover (strip/sack) The Int wasn't even all on him that LB made a nice play.

Brady was Brady, he actively looked for #27 And threw it to that area.

Putting #27 on Gronk is mind boggling but when you have one of the greatest QB of all time, he knows how to get his playmakers in the best position possible. I put that more on Brady and Patriots play calling them on the Bills.

Out of all of the heartburn Patriots losses, this isn't even on the list imo.

The better team exploited turnovers and their match ups. Game over.

We're on to Minnesota.

I'm so disgusted by this. I don't know how much more proof we need that our entire coaching staff is JV-level. I just feel like we as fans deserve better than this. It makes me so angry I want to scream.

HIRE PROFESSIONAL COACHES FOR ONCE FOR CHRISSAKES

Ugh. I really need to meditate, and to stop watching the NFL.

I dont think Sammie was a decoy I think they felt they could attack the pats down the middle of the field and thats what they stuck to . Ill wait and see what they do against the Vikings as I think after film review Orton and sammie will look to exploit those routes next week .

First week featured sammie

second week Chandler,Hogan and Woods

third week everyones involved and sammie gets a couple of bombs and rookie of the week

agreed. There may have been some plays to Sammy left on the field but the passing game worked IMO. The passing game was why the score was close at the end with a chance to win.

agreed. There may have been some plays to Sammy left on the field but the passing game worked IMO. The passing game was why the score was close at the end with a chance to win.

I don't know. On a day where the running game isn't working, 300 yards with two turnovers is pretty pedestrian against NE. It kept them in the game for sure, but I would bet that that's not enough about 90% of the time against the Pats.