Cam Newton Establishing Himself as "Elite" this Season

johnwalter

This season, Cam has been dealt a subpar roster. His offensive line is atrocious. His backfield is virtually nonexistent. His pass-catchers are inadiquate: he has a good tight end, but his number one receiver is a rookie who was taken 28th in the draft. You have never heard of his number two receiver. On defense, what last year was a top unit has regressed without Greg Hardy or a single legitimate player in the secondary and so far, they have allowed the fifth-most yards in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Panthers lead their division because of the play of Cam Newton.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marcell Dareus, he's one of my favorite Bills - but this one hurts. There was a good month during which I was convinced that Cam Newton was the future quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. I remember the hope - the Bills were finally going to get one of the franchise-level prospects at the quarterback position - but it was not to be.

Some of you may disagree because of the image that has been established in the media, but Cam Newton is proving himself to be "Elite." The dude is single-handedly winning games for Carolina. And it was all almost for Buffalo.

---

*Disclaimer: Yes, I agree, calling a player "Elite" is baseless - but there is no word or phrase that is universally understood to mean the same thing. And yes, I know that Cam is not on the level of Andrew Luck, who is clearly a god of football.

This season, Cam has been dealt a subpar roster. His offensive line is atrocious. His backfield is virtually nonexistent. His pass-catchers are inadiquate: he has a good tight end, but his number one receiver is a rookie who was taken 28th in the draft. You have never heard of his number two receiver. On defense, what last year was a top unit has regressed without Greg Hardy or a single legitimate player in the secondary and so far, they have allowed the fifth-most yards in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Panthers lead their division because of the play of Cam Newton.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marcell Dareus, he's one of my favorite Bills - but this one hurts. There was a good month during which I was convinced that Cam Newton was the future quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. I remember the hope - the Bills were finally going to get one of the franchise-level prospects at the quarterback position - but it was not to be.

Some of you may disagree because of the image that has been established in the media, but Cam Newton is proving himself to be "Elite." The dude is single-handedly winning games for Carolina. And it was all almost for Buffalo.

---

*Disclaimer: Yes, I agree, calling a player "Elite" is baseless - but there is no word or phrase that is universally understood to mean the same thing. And yes, I know that Cam is not on the level of Andrew Luck, who is clearly a god of football.

Why does this one hurt? It's not like we took Dareus over Cam. That draft was full of talent, be thankful we weren't one of the few teams who whiffed that year. Imagine taking Gabbert over Watt, or Ponder over Kerrigan. Woof.

Edited by FireChan

Why does this one hurt? It's not like we took Dareus over Cam. That draft was full of talent, be thankful we weren't one of the few teams who whiffed that year. Imagine taking Gabbert over Watt, or Ponder over Kerrigan. Woof.

I think it's because the mocks, pundits, etc talked about Cam to Buffalo so much that it made me feel like the Bills were entitled to him. I know it's a little delusional, but it's just what being a Bills fan does to you - the draft is our Superbowl [except next year...].

But yes, that 2011 draft class - holy cow. JJ Watt. Tyron Smith. AJ Green. Cam Newton. Marcell Dareus. Aldon Smith. Richard Shermon. Patrick Peterson. Von Miller. Colin Kaepernick. Cameron Jordan. DeMarco Murray. Julius Thomas. The talent that came out that year was just absurd.

Yea, lets see how long a running QB lasts in this league ? :thumbdown:

Well, let's see how long some of the top 10 running QB's lasted in this league...

McNabb lasted 13 years

Elway lasted 16 years

McNair lasted 13 years

Tarkenton lasted 18 years

Vick has been around for 12 years

Steve Young lasted 15 years

Cunningham lasted 16 years

Cam is the reason that Dak Prescott will be a top draft pick IMO. He's following his college path pretty darn closely. At first they were both used sparingly in the passing game. They were running teams with running QBs. However, as their careers progressed they both developed as passing QBs while maintaining their abilities to make plays with their feet. Cam wasn't considered a good arm QB until about 1/2 through his last season. Dak is showing his development before our eyes right now. They are also both very big guys which should allow them to take hits on those runs in the middle of the field. Dak is being projected in rounds 3-5 right now. If he is still there when we pick in round 2 I would love to snag him. I suspect he'll be a first rounder when all is said and done though (if he even comes out this year). With Jameis' issues and with Hundley not really looking that great this year his stock is only rising more.

This. No way we were getting Newton. Move on. I feel worse about all the second and 3rd round qb's we passed up in the last 5 years.

Cam is the reason that Dak Prescott will be a top draft pick IMO. He's following his college path pretty darn closely. At first they were both used sparingly in the passing game. They were running teams with running QBs. However, as their careers progressed they both developed as passing QBs while maintaining their abilities to make plays with their feet. Cam wasn't considered a good arm QB until about 1/2 through his last season. Dak is showing his development before our eyes right now. They are also both very big guys which should allow them to take hits on those runs in the middle of the field. Dak is being projected in rounds 3-5 right now. If he is still there when we pick in round 2 I would love to snag him. I suspect he'll be a first rounder when all is said and done though (if he even comes out this year). With Jameis' issues and with Hundley not really looking that great this year his stock is only rising more.

I'll be interested in seeing more of their games. He made some horrific throws to keep Auburn in that game for a while. Clearly has some talent though.