Did The Patriots Show Their Hand Against The Bengals?

Peace Frog

If the Bills consider Wright a non factor then don't be surprised if he surpasses the 5-85-1 numbers he just posted on the Bengals.

Is that horrific game against the Bucs last season nonexistent? Not only did he snag a TD against us last season, he was (if I recall correctly) open on most plays.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your baseline for greatness in TEs involves comparing them to Chandler, then you might as well be comparing turds to donuts. :lol:

He played in 8 games last year and had under 600 yards with 5 TDs. So far this year he's had one good game in an absolute blowout win. Let's just hold off on ordering the bust for Canton. There are multiple guys on the Bills roster who can cover him, he doesn't do anything special.

Well Wright did do something as a rookie TE last year that few have done ..... ever.

http://www.numberfir...antasy-football

What many don’t realize is that Tim Wright was actually historically good last season. In fact, we’ve only seen five other rookie tight ends in the history of the NFL catch 50 passes for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns. And he did this without seeing a single target during Weeks 1 and 2 last year.

Who will cover him?

Is that horrific game against the Bucs last season nonexistent? Not only did he snag a TD against us last season, he was (if I recall correctly) open on most plays.

Well, he does play for a different team this year. With a different QB and paired alongside a different TE. So, my guess is he might be even better this time around.

Edited by Pneumonic

After the drubbing they took in Kansas City, did Brady and the offense show us the blueprint for their game plan against us when they dismantled the Bengals defense with their two TE sets and numerous seam passes? I realize they wanted to make a statement with their victory at home against Cincy; 'Brady isn't finished yet!'. Had they sprung this formation on us, we probably would have been clobbered. But I think Schwartz will figure out a way to counter this. What say you?

TE's have done next to nothing against us all season...in 5 games, TE's have averaged 5.4 receptions for 46.6 yards and only 1 TD---the first TD scored against us this season---Martellus Bennett's TD where Preston Brown slipped in coverage...

Antonio Gates has been terrorizing teams this year and was held to 8 yards on 1 catch

Edited by matter2003

Well Wright did do something as a rookie TE last year that few have done ..... ever.

And he did it out of the slot, and rarely lined up next to a tackle. He was a WR they called a TE. Still is.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, it's just everywhere you turn a talking head is proclaiming this guy as great when he's done next to nothing to warrant that kind of attention.

Other than being a *patriot, of course. That's all it is, hype.

Do not sleep on the next opponent.

I live in Cincy and before the first snap, told my friend that my Super Bowl was Bengals and Eagles. But I also know how they melt when the lights get hot.

Context:

The Bengals are awesome outside of primetime games. They need to prove it, as Springsteen sings, "all night" as they freaking stink when it really matters.

The Eagles are awesome all the time.

I would love to play Cincinnati in the playoffs. Could happen.

If your baseline for greatness in TEs involves comparing them to Chandler, then you might as well be comparing turds to donuts. :lol:

He played in 8 games last year and had under 600 yards with 5 TDs. So far this year he's had one good game in an absolute blowout win. Let's just hold off on ordering the bust for Canton. There are multiple guys on the Bills roster who can cover him, he doesn't do anything special.

I referred to him as a "second TE" twice.

Was simply putting a comparison of a backup with 50+ catches - <600 yards and 5 TDs against our starting TE.

Speaking of busts and Canton, doesn't he have a future HOF QB throwing him the ball?

I can see K. Williams taking the 220 y.ard stat to B. Spikes and putting it above his locker. "I guess your old team might run all over us". BS "not this week".

As my favorite football movie quote from Remember the titans "not another yard, you blitz all night, you make them remember the night they played the Titans!"

God I want to see Brady on his back all day. Orton, just play a decent game and let the defense wreak havoc. That would be a fun day.

If we get back KW and NB, look for a fun day. These WR will start to get a synergy with KO. I trust Marrone will get improvements on th o line. Not the best, just serviceable in the guard spot.

And he did it out of the slot, and rarely lined up next to a tackle. He was a WR they called a TE. Still is.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, it's just everywhere you turn a talking head is proclaiming this guy as great when he's done next to nothing to warrant that kind of attention.

Other than being a *patriot, of course. That's all it is, hype.

Well, he is lining up as a "TE" in NE. Not that it matters though as plenty of TE's in today's NFL are really WR's yet they didn't produce as Wright did last year.

I ask again. Who is going to cover Wright when he lines up in a dual TE set with Gronk?

I can see K. Williams taking the 220 y.ard stat to B. Spikes and putting it above his locker. "I guess your old team might run all over us". BS "not this week".

As my favorite football movie quote from Remember the titans "not another yard, you blitz all night, you make them remember the night they played the Titans!"

God I want to see Brady on his back all day. Orton, just play a decent game and let the defense wreak havoc. That would be a fun day.

If we get back KW and NB, look for a fun day. These WR will start to get a synergy with KO. I trust Marrone will get improvements on th o line. Not the best, just serviceable in the guard spot.

Bills have the #1 run D in the NFL this year...no team has rushed for more than 90 yards on us...we are bringing the pain

Again, focusing on one part of the post and not the whole thing.

It's cool...

I can only make my point so many times before it becomes redundant for the rest of the board. So, one more time:

The guy isn't special is my point. He brings nothing to the table athletically that the Bills cannot cover with multiple people on the roster, especially considering the *pats have nothing of note on the outside to threaten our DBs. Worrying about him as a fan is silly. Of course coaches have to scheme for him. He's done nothing of note in his 21 NFL games to date, and if you watch him play (which, to answer your earlier question I watched a lot of Tampa games last year. I'm a football nerd with no life) you see he's a WR. A #3 at best.

But I don't want to turn this into an argument with you, like I said my reaction was aimed more at the general talking heads of the world who are currently making this guy out to be the messiah. :beer:

I ask again. Who is going to cover Wright when he lines up in a dual TE set with Gronk?

This is a much easier question considering the *pats have no one on the outside who merits double coverage. Either of our safeties can handle Wright. Brown would be a last resort, Bradham can if he's back. Rivers can't without a lot of help over the top.

If he starts to make noise, you can shut him down with the nickle corner, Robey will feast on him.

I can only make my point so many times before it becomes redundant for the rest of the board. So, one more time:

The guy isn't special is my point. He brings nothing to the table athletically that the Bills cannot cover with multiple people on the roster, especially considering the *pats have nothing of note on the outside to threaten our DBs. Worrying about him as a fan is silly. Of course coaches have to scheme for him. He's done nothing of note in his 21 NFL games to date, and if you watch him play (which, to answer your earlier question I watched a lot of Tampa games last year. I'm a football nerd with no life) you see he's a WR. A #3 at best.

But I don't want to turn this into an argument with you, like I said my reaction was aimed more at the general talking heads of the world who are currently making this guy out to be the messiah. :beer:

This is a much easier question considering the *pats have no one on the outside who merits double coverage. Either of our safeties can handle Wright. Brown would be a last resort, Bradham can if he's back. Rivers can't without a lot of help over the top.

If he starts to make noise, you can shut him down with the nickle corner, Robey will feast on him.

Sure, just like Bengals starting corner Leon Hall covered him last night?

Well, he is lining up as a "TE" in NE. Not that it matters though as plenty of TE's in today's NFL are really WR's yet they didn't produce as Wright did last year.

My point was he set the record you posted playing in a traditional WR position, not lining up as a traditional TE. And I use "traditional" to mean modern. The position has changed, you're right and I'm aware of that. But Wright isn't built like the new wave of Gonzo's. He's built like a WR, releases like a WR and blocks like a poor blocking WR.

I say this, and of course he'll go off for 200 yards this weekend... but I'm pretty confident that he'll be a non-factor when the game is over.

Sure, just like Bengals starting corner Leon Hall covered him last night?

I like our defensive backs WAAAAAAY more than I like cinci's.

He's a WR who seems to have some athletic ability and a knack for getting open. He's a small threat if you ignore him.

He's not at all a TE unless you want to say that he is a TE but too small to be a TE, never lines up like a TE, never blocks like a TE, doesn't look like a TE and never played anywhere as a TE.

My point was he set the record you posted playing in a traditional WR position, not lining up as a traditional TE. And I use "traditional" to mean modern. The position has changed, you're right and I'm aware of that. But Wright isn't built like the new wave of Gonzo's. He's built like a WR, releases like a WR and blocks like a poor blocking WR.

I say this, and of course he'll go off for 200 yards this weekend... but I'm pretty confident that he'll be a non-factor when the game is over.

Well, there are plenty of poor blocking "TE's" that are thriving in today's NFL. BTW, Wright is up over 235# and looks more like a TE than a WR (not named Megatron)

He's a WR who seems to have some athletic ability and a knack for getting open. He's a small threat if you ignore him.

He's not at all a TE unless you want to say that he is a TE but too small to be a TE, never lines up like a TE, never blocks like a TE, doesn't look like a TE and never played anywhere as a TE.

He's been lining up as a TE in NE.

Absolutely. I'm trying to make the case that the guy is garbage -- he's in the League for a reason. But he's a complete unknown in terms of career trajectory. Smooth pointed out earlier he's with Brady now and that will only help his numbers and he could very well prove me completely wrong.

Well, there are plenty of poor blocking "TE's" that are thriving in today's NFL. BTW, Wright is up over 235# and looks more like a TE than a WR (not named Megatron)

If he's 235 then I'm Japanese.

He's been lining up as a TE in NE.

And he's had one good game in five. Let's just call a truce. :beer:

Edited by GreggyT