Hey fellow bills fans,

New to the forums but have enjoyed reading your thoughts on here, so I thought it's time to start conversing with you all from time to time!

What did you think of the decision to receive at the beginning of the game? I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe Marrone was trying to send a message, like lets get Orton going right away, but our first drives have been 3 and out so many times its frustrating. .I think we need to play to our strength. Let the d get out there, cause some havoc, win the field position battle and then the O start rolling.

Still worried about Hackett, I really worry that his playcalling is going to cost us a few games. I feel the last 2 games his game plan has been playing more to the other teams strengths then their weaknesses.

But it's going to be a great week and look forward to Sunday., I underestimated the pats and likewise overestimated the bungles. But we have the d to knock the pats around, I hope it's really loud at the ralph!

I think your post answers your questioning. It was to take the pressure of Orton, fresh start with no potential of chasing the game immediately (which didn't work out anyway).

Regarding the coaching, it's like I've read here last season and these first 5 games: "Hackett is being too cute". I don't think he's as bad an OC as many would like to lead themselves to believe, I just think he really has no concept of a complete game plan for 4 quarters and changing on the fly/dropping something that has no business being called again and again (Shotgun handoff: CJ up the gut, 1/2 yard gain).

If this coaching staff fails this season I strongly hope that Tom Clements makes a return to Buffalo or they make a push and throw big money at Darrell Bevell.

I always thought that the decision to receive at the beginning of the game, was more on weather conditions wine and sun at your back in the 4th QTR

but what do I know

wine and sun never really a good combination in my experience but what do I know?.

In a game with two strong defenses, I think it's better to kick off to start the game. If the other team can't move the ball, it's stuck with poor field position and you get good field position as a result. Which is what happened to the Bills, you might have noticed. It took most of the first quarter before the Bills could get anything going. I was really surprised when I found out the Bills won the toss and elected to receive. It could have been a difference maker for the game. Fortunately the defense played great and the offense got good enough.

wine and sun never really a good combination in my experience but what do I know?.

damn it

fat fingers strike again

Not much based on your commentary in the #1 Rush Defense thread.

I know better than to believe certain #'s that are often misleading.

But hey, if you want to believe in fiction go ahead.

Yes, the Bills have the #1 rated this and the #1 rated that.

Again, it is points on the board is what matters

Ask how the Bungles felt going against the QBR with (at that time) a lower # than EJ Manuel.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I know that one factor many coaches use to make the determination on deferring is taking advantage of crowd noise on defense.

If you defer, you have a strategic advantage in terms of crowd noise. When at home, pretty much every fan is going to be in their seat for opening kickoff, so you have a full crowd in place on the first drive of the game, whereas many fans don't make it back to their seat before the second-half kickoff, creating a more welcoming environment for the visiting team. If you're on the road, you still want to defer for this same reason.

I've always felt like receiving the kickoff is a poor choice. You NEED to score in order for it to be worth it. Otherwise, the other team gets momentum due to making a stop and gets to receive the ball next half. Deferring for me is a much better choice, especially for us, because our defense is so solid and I feel like if we get a stop we get a ton of momentum and likely pretty good field position. Never understood why teams choose to receive the kickoff.

Edited by NextYearGuys

I'm glad someone started this topic -- I too was surprised to hear the Bills won the toss and elected to receive. Particularly on the road, the strategy that makes most sense to me is to defer and make the home team take the ball. You're hoping you will get the final possession of the first half and then get the ball to start the 2nd. Also, it's very likely all the fans are not back to their seats when the 3rd quarter begins, so your offense may catch a break with crowd noise.

I've always felt like receiving the kickoff is a poor choice. You NEED to score in order for it to be worth it. Otherwise, the other team gets momentum due to making a stop and gets to receive the ball next half. Deferring for me is a much better choice, especially for us, because our defense is so solid and I feel like if we get a stop we get a ton of momentum and likely pretty good field position. Never understood why teams choose to receive the kickoff.

I've always wanted them to receive the ball first, unless weather conditions are sooooo bad that the field position is key

never give Brady first blood

Against an elite offense (This year, I'd call only Denver elite) you don't give them the chance to immediately put 7 on the board.

Against anybody else, I like deferring because it gives you a better opportunity to game plan around the end of the first half. Most people seem to agree with this logic nowadays, but I can remember Jauron and, to a lesser extent, Gailey getting lambasted because "a winner wants the ball!".

Hey fellow bills fans,

New to the forums but have enjoyed reading your thoughts on here, so I thought it's time to start conversing with you all from time to time!

What did you think of the decision to receive at the beginning of the game? I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe Marrone was trying to send a message, like lets get Orton going right away, but our first drives have been 3 and out so many times its frustrating. .I think we need to play to our strength. Let the d get out there, cause some havoc, win the field position battle and then the O start rolling.

Still worried about Hackett, I really worry that his playcalling is going to cost us a few games. I feel the last 2 games his game plan has been playing more to the other teams strengths then their weaknesses.

But it's going to be a great week and look forward to Sunday., I underestimated the pats and likewise overestimated the bungles. But we have the d to knock the pats around, I hope it's really loud at the ralph!

I'd say you should almost always defer. If you defer, you receive in the 3rd quarter & go against the wind, but you get the wind in the 4th Q. If you are ahead in the 4th, the other team may have to pass & they will be passing into the wind - an obvious disadvantage. If we are behind in the 4th Q & have to pass, we will be passing with the wind at our back.