State of the Bills

sjjr

No offense but how does signing Bradford address the long term problem?

He's a decent QB when healthy, but the problem is he doesn't stay healthy ever. However, he will probably be the best option out there and I wouldn't be against signing him and drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd as well.

You answered it in the 2nd paragraph. He is a high risk guy because of injuries but was playing great last year. He will be on the market and is the right age to fit with the core of the team. I'm not saying that he is perfect but fits.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, in fact. I see a playoff team with competent coaches and GM.

Whaley might make brilliant moves on the defensive side, but wtf is up with the OG position...for two years now! This FO has had a policy in regards that OG's can be found later in the draft, and therefor aren't that important.

The Dallas Cowboys offensive line stunk last season, and almost got Tony Romo killed. This year they draft Zack Martin and start him at OG, and that line is greatly improved, and their run game is dominate.

The OG position is going to bite the supposed O line guru, and the GM right square in the backside this year.

The Cowboys run game was dominant last year. They just didn't do it enough.

We drafted 3 O-line players, one of whom is an instant starter, the other just started his first NFL game. What more do you want?

You answered it in the 2nd paragraph. He is a high risk guy because of injuries but was playing great last year. He will be on the market and is the right age to fit with the core of the team. I'm not saying that he is perfect but fits.

I'm starting to buy-in to the Bradford will be our Warner mindset. I'd expect another vet to be brought in as well if Orton doesn't play great.

Hopefully, Orton looks like Warner and this is all moot. That'd be awesome.

Edited by FireChan

Unless Orton plays great and gets them to the playoffs (or atleast 9-7). Or EJ has a major turn around and shows he's the QB of the future, I am expecting a housecleaning at the end of the season. I think Russ will be retained but not in his current capacity. I think Pegula will hire a football man to run the team. It would not surprise me for him to hire Bill Cowher, given the Pittsburgh connections working for the Sabres. Whalley may survive as GM but Cowher or another higher end coach would have more of the authority over the roster. No matter what happens, the next 6-8 months are going to be interesting and could go a very long way to determining the longer term future of the team.

I'm starting to buy-in to the Bradford will be our Warner mindset. I'd expect another vet to be brought in as well if Orton doesn't play great.

Hopefully, Orton looks like Warner and this is all moot. That'd be awesome.

Bradford doesn't turn 28 for another month so he fits right in terms of age. QBs can play effectively into their mid 30's so he can potentially be a 7-8 year guy.

I don't see them starting another rookie as the team is built to win now (or at least soon). They aren't going to want to wait 3 years to get a guy that can play at that level as the window may close. They may draft a guy but more as a developmental prospect (in the mid rounds). I would expect Orton back for the inevitable Bradford injury. I don't know about EJ, recent history says that when teams move on (Sanchez, Weeden, Clausen, Russell, Gabbert, Quinn) they move on.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This thread makes me laugh. The title should be changed to "open invitation to pass through your agenda." It is just a place to crusade on the same topics that the same people do in every thread. I should have just come here and posted how the Bills shouldn't keep Hogan and they will never move to Toronto.

The state of the Bills is pretty clear. They have lots of talent, a bad QB and a bad division. They replaced the guy in hopes of getting acceptable QB play because that is certainly enough for them to win the division. They will have to try to address the QB long term (I think that it will be Bradford). The direction of the Bills is as bright as it has been in over a decade (Bledsoe years at worst).

I think you are understating the situation. The EJ issue is a simple one. At this point he is not capable at playing at a level that allows the team to compete, let alone win. Marone's decision to replace him at this early stage of the season is not only a non-controversial decision, but it was an obvious must decision. Whaley's willingness to pay a relatively high salary for a backup is an indication that the organization had major concerns about EJ as a starter before the season started, especially after they saw how he erractic he was in the OTAs and training camp.

Although much of the focus has been EJ's dismal performance what has also been most troubling is the performance of the OL, especially the guard play. Without a doubt EJ's inability to make plays in the passing game and his inability to quickly get rid of the ball impacted the OL in pass protection and in run blocking. I'm hoping that Orton can provide a credible downfield passing game that will give the running game more space to run in. Despite the problems with the qb play the OL has in general been overmatched. That is most troubling.

I very much agree with you that this offseason there is a strong probability that the organization will thoroughly search the market for a bridge qb who can allow this franchise to be a factor in the league. KC got Smith for a reasonable price from San Francisco. He has dramatically changed the dynamic of that franchise. The Cardinals acquired Stanton in the offseason who replaced Carson Palmer when he got hurt. That credible backup qb has allowed that team to maintain its competitiveness.

I like Whaley very much. The mistake of the selection of EJ and throwing him into the fire before he was ready (or ever be ready???) has had a significant repercussion on a team that was finally getting out of the cellar dweller status. But that doesn't mean that they were in position of being a playoff team irrespective of the dire qb situation.

My basic point is that many people, including the front office, were over-estimating where this team ranked before the season started. The Bills in my opinion have a good enough front office (compared to the embarrassing past regimes) to take corrective actions to get back into being respectable and watchable. But as I see it we are barely a fringe playoff team, if that. I felt that this was an 8-8 team entering the season and I still feel that way.

Edited by JohnC