Buffalo fans, and their love for the backup QB.

Major Mud

Why are you lashing out at the fellow fans when it was the Coaches decision? Fans will be fans….coaches bench QB's.

I'm not lashing at anyone, I'm not even speaking exclusively about just this board. I'm just generalizing, actually some of the worst comments I have seen have been on Facebook, people seem to be ruthless on that site. ( friends and family included ) I just want happy Sunday's again when the Bills are winning, as I know we all do. Go Bills!

Now that everyone got their wish and Orton is the new starting quarterback, who will the backup be? It can't be EJ? Everyone in Buffalo always wants the backup to start. So the next guy we sign off the street, has to be the next golden arm messiah! Unless Orton goes 25-30 with 300+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game there will be people bitching about him to be benched. Personally I have nothing against Orton he has always been a serviceable QB. But I think most fans have the " grass is always greener " mentality. This goes back farther then EJ. Start Jackson over Fitz, start Edwards over Losman, start Flutie over Johnson. Etc, etc. I even remember when Kelly would get hurt, people thought Reich should stay the starter.....lol...Ahh yes the cult hero that is the backup QB in Buffalo. Where's Kelly Holcomb when you need him?

So this is one of those "fan against other fans" posts?

I never understood those.

Why not start a productive conversation about the team instead of attacking other fans and their behavior?

After all, we are here to discuss THE BILLS. Not each other.

Epic fail on the OP's part. As the above poster stated, it's not fans against fans. We're all fans of the Bills and we want to see them win. There is a lot of talent on this team. If Orton is the best option right now, you choose it. It will only take a couple of games to know if it's the right decision or not. As much as I'm down on this coaching staff, I give them credit for making the change. Let's salvage the season if we can. Go Bills!

So this is one of those "fan against other fans" posts?

I never understood those.

Why not start a productive conversation about the team instead of attacking other fans and their behavior?

After all, we are here to discuss THE BILLS. Not each other.

Sensitive much? No where in my post am I attacking anyone. I am talking about the mentality of most FANS regarding the backup QB. Furthermore I did not call anyone out, nor speak of their behavior.

I agree, he was 6-8 as a starter, and in those losses there were several that were winnable. The Atlanta game, the New England game, and even the Cleveland game. Injuries, a bad offensive line, questionable play calling, dropped passes, bad defenses. But to pin it on one guy as the scape goat just seems wrong to me. Yes he missed a few passes, yes he may be played a little scared in the pocket, but can you blame the kid? Perhaps sitting a few games, seeing his mistakes, and feeling all the negativity will light a fire under him. But most likely they just killed any confidence he had. This situation feels like the guy who has a hot wife, but has to have the hotter girlfriend.

Except EJ did enough to win the Atlanta game. You can't call that one winnable and hang the loss on him. It was lost by Stevie and Chandler.

Lamonica?

Ah, yes. I remember those chants, "We want Lamonica!" For those of us who grew up watching football in the 1960s, as much as we regretted losing Lamonica (who would lead Oakland to a Super Bowl), we probably didn't recognize the great leader we had in Kemp. His stats weren't great, unless you consider winning championships to be stats!

Except EJ did enough to win the Atlanta game. You can't call that one winnable and hang the loss on him. It was lost by Stevie and Chandler.

Yes that was my point, just didn't make it clear enough. Those were games he did enough to win, yet when you look at his record of 6-8 people see just that. But you can't blame him for all 8 losses. Would we be having backup QB discussions if he was 8-6? I hope not.

was this an outright starting over Kelly, or a Frank has played the last 2-3 games and has the hot hand, so lets keep rolling with it. I believe it was the latter, which IS NOT the same as pining for a backup because you think the starter sucks.

Also, what starting QB have Bills fans pined for the backup of whom has gone on to be good? Oh, that's right, NONE!. people want the backup because we haven't had a good starter in a loooooong time.

nope it was taken hot ha discussion it was Reich was a better QB debate. But we forget since it was the 1990's and the internet was just born

Yes that was my point, just didn't make it clear enough. Those were games he did enough to win, yet when you look at his record of 6-8 people see just that. But you can't blame him for all 8 losses. Would we be having backup QB discussions if he was 8-6? I hope not.

On the other hand you could say they won in spite of him vs Baltimore last season.

Since we were having backup discussions at 2-0 and 2-1, I would wager yes. But he was bad enough to need to take a seat for awhile, so I can live with it.

I do hope people realize that the best chance for this team is if the kid develops into something special down the road and root for that possibility. It just churns my stomach the way some fans relish the kid's failure. Even if you don't believe his success is likely, I don't think he's earned scorn - he's only earned some time out from under the microscope to find what makes him better.

Has anyone ever been excited for Kyle Orton?

Since we were having backup discussions at 2-0 and 2-1, I would wager yes. But he was bad enough to need to take a seat for awhile, so I can live with it.

I do hope people realize that the best chance for this team is if the kid develops into something special down the road and root for that possibility. It just churns my stomach the way some fans relish the kid's failure. Even if you don't believe his success is likely, I don't think he's earned scorn - he's only earned some time out from under the microscope to find what makes him better.

Very well said.