Lets talk about the Defense Today

Big C

Our D did very little until after SD used half of the 3rd quarter on their initial second half drive to take a 20-3 lead. Rivers killed us on 3rd down, especially in the first half and on that 3rd quarter drive. The simple reality is, a defense MUST get off the field on 3rd down and ours did a piss poor job of it for the first three quarters. Not a good effort by any stretch.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. And this team needs to be carried by the defense, as EJ and the offense are a work in process. That may not be fair to the defense, but that is how it is. When you cannot get key stops on third and long, and allow 20 points in a half plus and let the team get into a deep hole, that's not good enough. And none of the scores were cheapies, the result of a turnover or short field. Not good enough at all.

As I thought more about it, what did rivers even do out there? He had three big pass plays and got help on three penalties. That's it. Gates and Allen were completely Silent.

In the run game, we held them to 60 yards on like 30 carries.

San Diego ran a very conservative game plan and it worked. They had a lead and were basically killing the clock. Their d line dominated.

Here are the top three things that killed the defense yesterday, in order:

1. EJ Manuel--The Chargers dared him to beat them, he wasn't up to the task. His execution was just awful.
  2. Penalties--3 DB penalties on TD drive to open the second half sustained the Charger effort more so than Chargers themselves.
  3. Rivers--He's a top 5 QB, folks and he did what he does: played efficient, mistake-free football, connecting on the big strikes when he had to.

You can't evaluate the defense, really, since they did what they had to do in the fourth quarter, but SD wasn't really challenging them. I'm not totally confident they could have kept locking down the Chargers attack IF the offense was putting points on the board to cut into the SD lead. I'm also not saying they couldn't have.

But, this game was thrown way out of wack by an offense that simply wasn't up to the task. In the two victories prior, they were TEAM wins. This was a TEAM loss because one third of it just couldn't get it done.

Protect the QB. Rush the QB. It is as simple as that and the Bills did neither today.

I have to see the All-22 tape to be sure but I'll be willing to bet Rivers and EJ saw the same pressure. But Rivers is experienced enough know how much time he has while EJ freaks out early.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have to see the All-22 tape to be sure but I'll be willing to bet Rivers and EJ saw the same pressure. But Rivers is experienced enough know how much time he has while EJ freaks out early.

I'd buy that. There were times when the RB was open in the flat, for both QB's, EJ kept looking down the field while Rivers dumped it off. Happened quite a few times actually.

Very true, great point

So the question is, how does EJ react and recover from a very bad outing?? Does he learn or crumble?

Gilmore: I know he missed two tackles around the LOS... Seemed ok in coverage.

Mckelvin: got toasted by a lob over the top, safety bit on an underneath route.

D line: only rushed four most of the day, but struggled getting there

Coverage: was anyone else sick of seeing a guy with a number in the fifties covering a guy with a number in the teens???

Defense was bad today. San Diego let off the gas once they realized the bills o wasn't going to keep pace.

Everyone needs to remember these guys just beat the world champs.

It's true. Rivers dumped it off at the very last second at least 4 times to RBs in the flat for first downs. He's really, really good.

DB's were awful yesterday. LB's not much better. D-Line looked good as always. Having said that, I agree that this loss fall right at the feet of the offense. O-Line was terrible and EJ wasn't much better if at all. Just a stinker of a game for the offense.

Hmm I guess I didn't see it that way. The San Diego front 4 made the the right side look like Matadors on several occasions, like they were pass rushing around sleds.

It was also apparent to me the bills front four on more occasions than not, weren't getting there nearly as quickly.