EJ Manuel and Titan (Dog)

johnwalter

Man I really want this kid to work out. Off the field, he's everything you want, and works hard on his craft. If it somehow doesn't work out, it won't be for lack of effort, or stupidity. Go EJ.

Losman raked leaves too.

Edited by zazie

Losman raked leaves too.

I thought about bringing up Losman, then reconsidered. I figured, why ruin a perfectly good and positive thread, that has nothing to do with his on-field ability. I figured it would be Mr Weo, or Dwagg who would ruin the thread.

It is true, Losman was all-in with Buffalo and seemed to be a very good guy. I rooted like hell for him, too. He didn't work out.

This thread is all about EJ being, seemingly, a great guy. And that it is a pleasure to root for him.

Edited by The Dean

The biggest nastiest mainstream breeds, like pit bulls, Rottweilers, and Dobermans, all make fabulous pets if they are brought up well and trained to be nice. Rotties are amazing dogs if treated right.

Go Titan!

Yeah, but ultimately any living thing that you can train to attack another human being is a weapon......and dogs like that are very LETHAL weapons. A thorough background check and very special license should be required for such dangerous animals as above, along with a huge amount of insurance and an understanding that should your dog get free and injure someone that the registered owner will be subject to charges commensurate to the damage inflicted....including murder. This would still allow people to keep them as pets, but at their own high risk. There are plenty of other, less dangersous dog breeds out there that don't kill human beings and also make fabulous pets.

As for the guy that wants to ban human beings.......majority rules. A few self-loathing pervs don't dictate policy. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but ultimately any living thing that you can train to attack another human being is a weapon......and dogs like that are very LETHAL weapons. A thorough background check and very special license should be required for such dangerous animals as above, along with a huge amount of insurance and an understanding that should your dog get free and injure someone that the registered owner will be subject to charges commensurate to the damage inflicted....including murder. This would still allow people to keep them as pets, but at their own high risk. There are plenty of other, less dangersous dog breeds out there that don't kill human beings and also make fabulous pets.

As for the guy that wants to ban human beings.......majority rules. A few self-loathing pervs don't dictate policy. :thumbsup:

Breed specific regulations? Yeah, no.

My pit Betty:

SpGQJFa.jpg

anyway this is not correct. Even the nicest and best trained dogs of these breeds have triggers that will set them into attack mode. Not always against humans but certainly against other, less formidable dogs.. Pits are dangerous, and need to be muzzled. Sorry for the truth here.

And Rotts, for sure too.

Dobermans go crazy later in life, I have heard their brain gets too big for their skull, not sure if that is an urban myth or not, but I have known 2 people whose peaceful Dobermans went nuts and had to be put down.

It is not how you raise your particuloar dog, it is how the dogs were selected for violent behaviour by other humans over the last 10,000 years, their behaviour is not always learned, often instinctual. And their instinct, bred for, is violence.

As someone who just had to put down the canine love of his life, this made me smile (and shed a tear or two out of loss). Here's to EJ and Titan becoming Buffalo fixtures for years to come....

S

Sorry to hear it, man. Its one of the hardest..maybe THE hardest thing I've ever had to do. It ruined me for days.

anyway this is not correct. Even the nicest and best trained dogs of these breeds have triggers that will set them into attack mode. Not always against humans but certainly against other, less formidable dogs.. Pits are dangerous, and need to be muzzled. Sorry for the truth here.

And Rotts, for sure too.

Dobermans go crazy later in life, I have heard their brain gets too big for their skull, not sure if that is an urban myth or not, but I have known 2 people whose peaceful Dobermans went nuts and had to be put down.

It is not how you raise your particuloar dog, it is how the dogs were selected for violent behaviour by other humans over the last 10,000 years, their behaviour is not always learned, often instinctual. And their instinct, bred for, is violence.

False.

False.

uh huh. Sure.

I hope your pit kills no other dog, and attacks no person.

I will not rely on you to make it so, though.

A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).[23] A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.[24] A 5-year (1989–94) review of fatal dog attacks in the U.S. determined that pit bulls and pit bull mixed breeds were implicated in 24 (29%) of the 84 deaths in which breed was recorded.[25]

A 20-year (1979-1998) study by the American Veterinary Medical Association into fatal dog attacks on humans[26] concluded that "fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers)," and that "pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were involved in more than half" (67%) of all the 238 recorded dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States during that period, with pit bulls accounting for 66 deaths. They also wrote that: "It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."[26]

A 15-year (1991–2005) review of dog attack fatalities investigated by the Kentucky Medical Examiner determined that pit bulls were implicated in 5 of the 11 fatal attacks (45%).[27] Another 15-year (1994–2009) review of patients admitted to a Level I Trauma Center with dog bites determined that pit bulls were most often involved in these attacks: of the 228 patients treated, the breed of dog was recorded in 82 attacks, and of these, 29 (35%) of the attacks were by pit bulls.[28] In 45% of the attacks, the dog belonged to the victim's family.[28]

A 5-year (2001–05) review of dog attack victims admitted to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia determined that pit bull terriers were implicated in more than half of the bites where breed was identified. Of the 269 patients where breed was identified, 137 (51%) were attacked by pit bulls.[29] The authors wrote: "...the overwhelming number of bites involving pit bull terriers in this study and others certainly has some degree of validity when it comes to identifying bite-prone breeds. Pit bull terriers, German shepherds, and Rottweilers were the offending breeds implicated in our study, and have accounted for the majority of dog bites according to other investigators."[29]

A review of the medical literature found that pit bulls and pit bull cross-breeds were involved in 42–45% of dog attacks.[30] Fatalities were most often reported when children were attacked, with 70% of victims being under the age of 10.[30]

Some other studies on the number of human deaths caused by dog bite trauma have surveyed news media stories for reports of dog-bite-related fatalities. This methodology is subject to potential errors, as some fatal attacks may not have been reported, a study might not find all relevant news reports, and the dog breed might be misidentified.[31]

Courts in the United States[32][33] and Canada[34][35] have ruled that expert identification, when using published breed standards, is sufficient for the enforcement of breed-specific legislation.

uh huh. Sure.

A 9-year (1979–88) review of fatal dog attacks in the United States determined that, of the 101 attacks in which breed was recorded, pit bulls were implicated in 42 of those attacks (42%).[23] A 1991 study found that 94% of attacks on children by pit bulls were unprovoked, compared to 43% for other breeds.[24] A 5-year (1989–94) review of fatal dog attacks in the U.S. determined that pit bulls and pit bull mixed breeds were implicated in 24 (29%) of the 84 deaths in which breed was recorded.[25]

A 20-year (1979-1998) study by the American Veterinary Medical Association into fatal dog attacks on humans[26] concluded that "fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers)," and that "pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers were involved in more than half" (67%) of all the 238 recorded dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States during that period, with pit bulls accounting for 66 deaths. They also wrote that: "It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities."[26]

A 15-year (1991–2005) review of dog attack fatalities investigated by the Kentucky Medical Examiner determined that pit bulls were implicated in 5 of the 11 fatal attacks (45%).[27] Another 15-year (1994–2009) review of patients admitted to a Level I Trauma Center with dog bites determined that pit bulls were most often involved in these attacks: of the 228 patients treated, the breed of dog was recorded in 82 attacks, and of these, 29 (35%) of the attacks were by pit bulls.[28] In 45% of the attacks, the dog belonged to the victim's family.[28]

A 5-year (2001–05) review of dog attack victims admitted to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia determined that pit bull terriers were implicated in more than half of the bites where breed was identified. Of the 269 patients where breed was identified, 137 (51%) were attacked by pit bulls.[29] The authors wrote: "...the overwhelming number of bites involving pit bull terriers in this study and others certainly has some degree of validity when it comes to identifying bite-prone breeds. Pit bull terriers, German shepherds, and Rottweilers were the offending breeds implicated in our study, and have accounted for the majority of dog bites according to other investigators."[29]

A review of the medical literature found that pit bulls and pit bull cross-breeds were involved in 42–45% of dog attacks.[30] Fatalities were most often reported when children were attacked, with 70% of victims being under the age of 10.[30]

Some other studies on the number of human deaths caused by dog bite trauma have surveyed news media stories for reports of dog-bite-related fatalities. This methodology is subject to potential errors, as some fatal attacks may not have been reported, a study might not find all relevant news reports, and the dog breed might be misidentified.[31]

Courts in the United States[32][33] and Canada[34][35] have ruled that expert identification, when using published breed standards, is sufficient for the enforcement of breed-specific legislation.

Cool stats.

I don't think your ignorance (harsh, I know) can be overcome on this matter.

uh huh. Sure.

Cool stats.

But an important thing to clarify: where do you live?

Cool stats.

But an important thing to clarify: where do you live?

Here is some info for you re artificial selection of dogs:

http://www.nature.co...og-breeding-434

http://www.direwolfproject.com/selective-breeding.html

Pits did not become aggressive by accident, and were not bred for some other trait and by mistake their aggression was some collateral damage. They were bred to be aggressive, specifically, over thousands of years.

Maybe you don't believe in Darwin though, so the above will not be meaningful for you. For the less god-fearing among us, that is how it happened. Just like Poodles were bred for being pretty.

I stay in Thailand but travel about 6 months per annum.

Edited by zazie

Here is some info for you re artificial selection of dogs:

http://www.nature.co...og-breeding-434

http://www.direwolfproject.com/selective-breeding.html

Pits did not become aggressive by accident, and were not bred for some other trait and by mistake their aggression was some collateral damage. They were bred to be aggressive, specifically, over thousands of years.

Maybe you don't believe in Darwin though, so the above will not be meaningful for you. For the less god-fearing among us, that is how it happened. Just like Poodles were bred for being pretty.

I stay in Thailand but travel about 6 months per annum.

If you're willing to understand why your thinking on this matter is faulty/out dated please read this:

http://www.esquire.com/features/american-dog-0814

And please refrain from making faulty assumptions about my politics/religion.

If you're willing to understand why your thinking on this matter is faulty/out dated please read this:

http://www.esquire.c...erican-dog-0814

And please refrain from making faulty assumptions about my politics/religion.

that is funny, a story about a cocker spaniel attacking a pit.

that must be it!

Please muzzle your dog, as it may get attacked by a cocker at any moment!

I don't think we need breed specific regulations or restrictions for dogs, all owners should be held responsible. We have a large umbrella policy for just such risks. I'll take my chances with my female Golden Retriever. I like my odds better than some other people's. I was told by someone heavily involved in shelters/rescue operations that 65% of dogs in shelters have some pit in them. I go to a no kill shelter on a regular basis and that seems (shockingly) to be about right. I can't swear to the actual number, but it's high and a horrible shame. Is this because of irresponsible breeding or are they just not accepted by most people as being adoptable?

I don't think we need breed specific regulations or restrictions for dogs, all owners should be held responsible. We have a large umbrella policy for just such risks. I'll take my chances with my female Golden Retriever. I like my odds better than some other people's. I was told by someone heavily involved in shelters/rescue operations that 65% of dogs in shelters have some pit in them. I go to a no kill shelter on a regular basis and that seems (shockingly) to be about right. I can't swear to the actual number, but it's high and a horrible shame. Is this because of irresponsible breeding or are they just not accepted by most people as being adoptable?

I agree, people should have the dogs hey want. But, some breeds should have a muzzle requirement when in public, and there should be a stricter punishment if your pit gets out from the backyard, than you golden retriever does. including putting the pit down the second time it happens.

Golden retrievers are great dogs! Enjoy.

I agree, people should have the dogs hey want. But, some breeds should have a muzzle requirement when in public, and there should be a stricter punishment if your pit gets out from the backyard, than you golden retriever does. including putting the pit down the second time it happens.

Golden retrievers are great dogs! Enjoy.

So if a golden gets out and kills someone it's less than bad than a pitt?

I have an amazing dog. He is great on walks and walks next to me without pulling or any interest in anyone else. Just two days ago he walked past a group of 5 or 6 small dogs with multiple growling and attempting to get to him. He does not bark, growl or show any signs of aggressiveness as I've seen numerous breeds show to him. Including Golden Retrievers, Poodles and Labs. Yes he is a Pit Bull.

Yes pit bulls were bred and honed in to be good at fighting other dogs but the vast majority of them were still born as non aggressive loving dogs. These dogs were the ones used as bait. These dogs were the ones Michael Vick tortured and Killed as an attempt to make them into worthy animals for the Pit. Dogs aren't typically born with an innate desire to hurt others. It's a learned ability from owners that are not responsible. Those type of owners can create dogs that harm others from any breed of dog. A dog bite in and of itself is extremely dangerous because of it's ability to get infected and if not treated properly lead to amputations or worse.

I look at my dog as a kid. He is the dog I create him to be as he grows. He has shown to be less aggressive than a Black Lab I grew up with and did bite me. He was being used as a dog for a Golden Retriever to ease her into being friendlier to other dogs. But I am also careful. I know the reputation Pit Bulls have, however unfair, and you have to protect them and put them in good situations.

Please don't make snap judgements about a breed based on a few irresponsible owners. Sadly there's far too many of those owners out there and they don't just own Pit Bulls but since it is by far the majority dog as well as the most recognizable it will be blamed for more than it's share of problems.

Please visit here if you are in the Rochester Area and have any thoughts on adopting. http://www.pittyloverescue.org/

There is great info provided by these people included clarification of Myths and Truths about the breed.

Breed specific legislation has also led to the death of numerous animals mistaken to be pit bulls but are actually not. It is just not as easy to determine breed as some may think.

And Rotts, for sure too.

Granted there are dogs who are trained to attack and/or kill but a dog's instinct is to protect. Most dogs give off warnings such as barking, growling, and even posturing to give clueless humans a warning to stay away. I'm leery of the breeds that you mentioned but I think small dogs are more likely to bite than large dogs.

Edited by juno999

Granted there are dogs who are trained to attack and/or kill but a dog's instinct is to protect. Most dogs give off warnings such as barking, growling, and even posturing to give clueless humans a warning to stay away. I'm leery of the breeds that you mentioned but I think small dogs are more likely to bite than large dogs.

Small dogs bite WAY more often than big dogs.

Big dogs, particularly pits, just happen to do a lot more damage when they do bite.

This is indisputable. But to say every rot, every pit, every "scary" dog has it in them is categorically false.

If we accept the notion that some dogs were bred for aggression, then we accept the possibility that said aggression is just as easily bred out.

Cool. So walk me through the science of determining what a pitt bull is. Tell me how that regulation is crafted.

Well, if you'll read more carefully, I am NOT for a breed specific regulation. If I gave it more thought I might reconsider, but at first glance that doesn't seem fair. If my dog commits the crime, I should pay the price (within reasonable standards). I submit that my female Golden puts me on somewhat safer ground than the owner of a random Pit Bull. My dog may lick a baby if left uncontrolled, nothing worse. (And dear Lord, never leave a baby alone with a dog, I have a horrible story on that topic!) That's not to say your pit is not an awesome dog, and mans best friend. I LOVE that you love your dog. But pit owners tend to be blindly loyal, like most dog owners. I'm on my sixth female Golden, I get loyal. (I had several simultaneously, I'm old, not ancient.) Why are shelters so heavily populated by dogs who clearly have a pit resemblance? These are adorable little puppies! Why are the so predominant?

Oh, and the small yippy, snappy dogs need to be controlled too, but they don't do as much damage. People don't die. I had a job where I was subjected to a lot of other peoples dogs, and the only time I've ever been bit was at a friends who had a couple little terriers. I'm not a fan of those snappy little things!

Well, if you'll read more carefully, I am NOT for a breed specific regulation. If I gave it more thought I might reconsider, but at first glance that doesn't seem fair. If my dog commits the crime, I should pay the price (within reasonable standards). I submit that my female Golden puts me on somewhat safer ground than the owner of a random Pit Bull. My dog may lick a baby if left uncontrolled, nothing worse. (And dear Lord, never leave a baby alone with a dog, I have a horrible story on that topic!) That's not to say your pit is not an awesome dog, and mans best friend. I LOVE that you love your dog. But pit owners tend to be blindly loyal, like most dog owners. I'm on my sixth female Golden, I get loyal. (I had several simultaneously, I'm old, not ancient.) Why are shelters so heavily populated by dogs who clearly have a pit resemblance? These are adorable little puppies! Why are the so predominant?

You should read the Esquire article. I think you'd enjoy it.

We decided to adopt Betty because it was important for my wife that a dog from a misunderstood breed be given a loving home.

I know what my dog is capable of. She doesn't like dogs her size, particularly female dogs. For the most part, she's totally indifferent to most other dogs. But when she spots one she doesn't like, her hair stands on end in a perfect line from the top of her head, all the way to her tail. She growls, she barks.

We don't take her to dog parks and we're very cognizant of her whenever she's at a park playing fetch off-leash.

She's also part lab.

One of the things the Esquire piece points out is that "pits" are just becoming another term for "mutt." Just as a biracial person generally identifies with his/her un-white race, any time a mutt has some pitt bull in it, it suddenly becomes one, and with it all the stereotypes that were formed by the breeds most extreme examples.

Betty might get mouthy with other dogs, but that doesn't mean she's a killer. But because she's a "pitt" the assumption is that she was originally raised to fight. We cannot say for certain this wasn't the case, but it's highly unlikely. There are other dogs in our neighborhood, huskies, other labs, and other non-pitt mutts who get just as bent out of shape when they see her. She doesn't bark at other dogs because she's a pit.

She barks at other dogs because she's a B word. :flirt:

And seriously, the two things she does most aggressively:

1. Play fetch
  2. Lick faces

Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to get to the Esquire article. I'll try to get there (somewhat depressed right now following a pitiful loss). Just the fact that you admit to take care about where you take your dog makes the point for the opposing view. That should not be necessary. I could take my dog to a baby day care center and leave here all day and just worry about how much slobber she'd leave on toddlers. Maybe more appropriately, I could take her to a dog park in the morning and come back and night, and my only fear would be if some OTHER dog attacked her. My dog comes with almost zero warning tags. You freely admit yours has restrictions.

And I've never met your dog and I'm sure I'd love your dog (as you do and should). It's just a matter of playing the odds to me. Plus a little personal preference. :-)

Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to get to the Esquire article. I'll try to get there (somewhat depressed right now following a pitiful loss). Just the fact that you admit to take care about where you take your dog makes the point for the opposing view. That should not be necessary. I could take my dog to a baby day care center and leave here all day and just worry about how much slobber she'd leave on toddlers. Maybe more appropriately, I could take her to a dog park in the morning and come back and night, and my only fear would be if some OTHER dog attacked her. My dog comes with almost zero warning tags. You freely admit yours has restrictions.

And I've never met your dog and I'm sure I'd love your dog (as you do and should). It's just a matter of playing the odds to me. Plus a little personal preference. :-)

You didn't really read my post. That my dog is particular about some dogs (in no way shape or form BECAUSE she has some pit in her) does not make her a killer because she has some pit in her.

Why is this hard to understand?

You didn't really read my post. That my dog is particular about some dogs (in no way shape or form BECAUSE she has some pit in her) does not make her a killer because she has some pit in her.

Some dogs' asses smell better than others, I suppose.

That my dog is particular about some dogs (in no way shape or form BECAUSE she has some pit in her) does not make her a killer because she has some pit in her.

Again, I love your dog and her Bills attire, despite never having met her (or you). Your post above... Doesn't really even make sense as I read it. Your dog is not a killer (unless she has killed), but people will have concerns about a dog who resembles a dog from a breed with a reputation for maulings and worse. That doesn't make Betty guilty, it's just common sense.

Being "particular" is a euphemism for wanting to bite? Sniffing is good, growling and biting are bad. Very bad.

Edited by Augie

Again, I love your dog and her Bills attire, despite never having met her (or you). Your post above... Doesn't really even make sense as I read it. Your dog is not a killer (unless she has killed), but people will have concerns about a dog who resembles a dog from a breed with a reputation for maulings and worse. That doesn't make Betty guilty, it's just common sense.

Being "particular" is a euphemism for wanting to bite? Sniffing is good, growling and biting is bad. Very bad.

I've seen her get on top of a dog she was barking at. There was no biting. Just a lot of show.

Kinda disrupts the killer theory, huh?

And Rotts, for sure too.

What I am saying is that ALL dogs are weapons. It's just that some are not a real danger to a human life even in their most agitated state and others are capable of ripping a grown mans throat out before he can defend himself.

It doesn't matter what the pooch pokers in this thread think...eventually what I am saying will become reality. If subjecting others to second hand smoke is illegal.....kid shredding dog breeds will eventually not be allowed in public and their owners will be stigmatized.

There is absolutely NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. So enjoy while you can.....it will just be one more thing for you to complain about when you are old.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ