How to Become a Pro Scout

26CornerBlitz

Greg Gabriel: How to Become a Pro Scout <10:45>

Former NFL Scout and Western New York native Greg Gabriel called in to The John Murphy Show to discuss his class where he gives instruction on how to become a pro scout.

http://nfpscout.com/...on-to-scouting/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's a tough life. You work tons of hours for basically no money. It takes a long time to move up and often you bounce around if you are "GM X's" guy. I would not wish scouting on anyone!! It certainly is a labor of love. If you are one of the few that can rise up in an organization that's great but it is an EXTREMELY difficult road.

It's a tough life. You work tons of hours for basically no money. It takes a long time to move up and often you bounce around if you are "GM X's" guy. I would not wish scouting on anyone!! It certainly is a labor of love. If you are one of the few that can rise up in an organization that's great but it is an EXTREMELY difficult road.

Not to mention the endless travel. ESPN did a good piece on this a while back (they were talking about basketball, but same idea).

Thats why I would never do it. But just knowing what to look for would be cool

This is exactly what I want and need to do with my life.

I played, I coached, I scouted for high school and D-3, I'm 31 years old, single, with no kids.

I'd give anything to be a scout (or coach again), at any level of football...just to be around the game again.

(I played high school football with Ryan Poles, who is now a scout for the Kansas City Chiefs. He protected Matt Ryan at BC.)

I wish I knew about this sooner, but I'm absolutely setting money aside from my DJ side gigs to do this next year, without a doubt.

Thank you for posting this.

EDIT: I saw the $1500 and didn't think it was too bad...but $550 to possibly get a foot in the door of a dream career? That's nothing.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I played, I coached, I scouted for high school and D-3, I'm 31 years old, single, with no kids.

I'd give anything to be a scout (or coach again), at any level of football...just to be around the game again.

(I played high school football with Ryan Poles, who is now a scout for the Kansas City Chiefs. He protected Matt Ryan at BC.)

I wish I knew about this sooner, but I'm absolutely setting money aside from my DJ side gigs to do this next year, without a doubt.

EDIT: I saw the $1500 and didn't think it was too bad...but $550 to possibly get a foot in the door of a dream career? That's nothing.

Bob, I know Greg, he is a really good guy and no BS. If you don't have any passion for what you currently do, go for it.

Well you can start by getting and reading a copy of this book which was written by the HC of Navy and is widely regarded as THE seminal book on the subject. His son started scouting for his dad at age 9 and later went on to achieve a modicum of success in the NFL. Perhaps you've heard of him.

31vX2R9CGvL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Well you can start by getting and reading a copy of this book which was written by the HC of Navy and is widely regarded as THE seminal book on the subject. His son started scouting for his dad at age 9 and later went on to achieve a modicum of success in the NFL. Perhaps you've heard of him.

31vX2R9CGvL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So I imagine this book covers camera placement for your opponent's practices in chapters 1-8 and how to get really lucky in the back of the draft for chapter 9?

Nope you wizeazz. But it does help one understand the obsession his son has with preparation for the opponent. Bill took it to the next level and then some. The tome itself has stood the test of time. Throw stones at his son all you want - and I seldom lose an opportunity to myself - but Steve is iconic in the scouting profession.

It can be hard to find a good copy. Mine's not for sale.

Nope you wizeazz. But it does help one understand the obsession his son has with preparation for the opponent. Bill took it to the next level and then some. The tome itself has stood the test of time. Throw stones at his son all you want - and I seldom lose an opportunity to myself - but Steve is iconic in the scouting profession.

It can be hard to find a good copy. Mine's not for sale.

Sorry for being a wizeass. Now it's time to do it again. You can find plenty of copies for less than ten bucks on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=football%20scouting%20methods&sprefix=football+scouting+%2Caps%2C131