Has Roger Goodell's Handling of Ray Rice Incident Devalued the NFL

BonJovi

Roger Goodell really made a mess here. And in light of the Ravens owner releasing a letter to the fan base saying they didnt do enough to then be followed up by Ozzie stating that Ray Rice told he and Coach Harbaugh exactly what happened in the video, I don't see myself ever rooting for the Ravens ever again.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One player just got four games for legally prescribed fertility treatments.

"Legal" has nothing to do with it.

That is either because the fertility treatments either had a steroid in it or a masking agent in it. Little bit different than smoking pot, imo. Legal substance that is not a performance enhancer, should not be a cause of a player getting suspended.

The NFL suspends based on their own code of conduct, not legal code. Pot has nothing to do with the case, or the NFL in general.

Actually, it does as well as alcohol. From the outside, a person will think that it is crazy that having beers on your porch or smoking a J is worthy of a longer suspension than beating a woman. Societal values dictate conduct policies. If the conduct policy or its enforcement is out of wack in comparison to society's expectations, than the league looks worse for this. If this was to continue, which I think it won't as Goodell will likely be fired, you could end up see a loss of sponsors after the backlash from this.

He is a Dead Man Walking. His bosses will have no problem firing him immediately if it is shown he saw the tape. Alternately there is a pretty clear conclusion of at best willful ignorance for not using their extensive contacts and power to see the tape before judging Rice.

Whether it is now to blunt charges of evilness or within a year to separate from incompetence at doing his job of protecting the brand, Goodell is a very rich dead man walking.

That is either because the fertility treatments either had a steroid in it or a masking agent in it. Little bit different than smoking pot, imo. Legal substance that is not a performance enhancer, should not be a cause of a player getting suspended.

Actually, it does as well as alcohol. From the outside, a person will think that it is crazy that having beers on your porch or smoking a J is worthy of a longer suspension than beating a woman. Societal values dictate conduct policies. If the conduct policy or its enforcement is out of wack in comparison to society's expectations, than the league looks worse for this. If this was to continue, which I think it won't as Goodell will likely be fired, you could end up see a loss of sponsors after the backlash from this.

Do not use the societal values dictate punishment. It flies over their heads as if that's not the case for any legal authority in this country

So it's a liberal agenda to be against a man beating the schit out of a woman. That's a new one on me.

I know ... There are some seriously !@#$ed up people posting in this thread.

Roger "Cover Up" Goodell may be in a little trouble. Maybe Pegula will offer him a job as security guard.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/roger-goodell-empowered-by-greedy-nfl-owners-and-indifferent-fans-must-go-now/2014/09/11/8155cf68-39ae-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html

Maybe we will get some clarity with the NFL orchestrated FBI investigation?

What a complete joke.

Amid Ray Rice investigation, odds of NFL losing sponsors remain slim

What would it take for sponsors to cut ties with the NFL?

That was the question posed to executives at two companies who have done business with NFL teams and to marketing experts who closely track the relationship between the league and its corporate partners.

Reason Roger changed punishment

http://www.si.com/nf...nk3&pLid=528831

That is weak. The video shows exactly what anyone thought had happened, and that video was in their possession April. They did not react this way when they first saw the video, they reacted that way when the public saw that video.

Do not use the societal values dictate punishment. It flies over their heads as if that's not the case for any legal authority in this country

Societal values dictate laws, not legal actions.

FireChan is right here.

Now the fact is that a big business that is accountable to sponsors, fans, and the US gubmint has to reflect the values that our society holds dear. Thus punishment according what our society holds dear is relevant as a failure to reflect said values in punishment will lead to increasing backlash.

Not on video, but worse than the Rice story (if true, of course): http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/12/greg-hardy-carolina-panthers-domestic-abuse

Yet another reason why Roger is a Dead Man Walking in terms of his fate as CEO of the NFL.

If things remain bad next week (a week any thing like last week where each day seemed to produce a tragedy even worse than the day before) then Roger gets thrown under the bus right away. The best case for him though seems to me that the league is able to wait a year before rehabbing the brand and Roger merely reigns to spend time with his family.

Either way, I think he is a goner.