Sometimes Similar Occurrences Are So Very Different

In Ferguson, MO, a white police officer shot and killed a young black man and the national media erupted. In Rochester, NY, a black man shot and killed a white police officer and the national media appeared to yawn.

And so it goes....

I by no means to sound insensitive, my thoughts are with the fallen officer's family. And I definitely am the last guy to defend the media. But the difference isn't racial but occupational. Police Officers take a job knowing they are risking their lives. I'm not in Rochester, but I imagine it's a big story there or at least being covered. It's not "sensational" enough to attract what passes for the national media these days.

I by no means to sound insensitive, my thoughts are with the fallen officer's family. And I definitely am the last guy to defend the media. But the difference isn't racial but occupational. Police Officers take a job knowing they are risking their lives. I'm not in Rochester, but I imagine it's a big story there or at least being covered. It's not "sensational" enough to attract what passes for the national media these days.

I think you're missing the point. It's not so much that this story is not getting attention. It's how much attentions Ferguson got.

I think you're missing the point. It's not so much that this story is not getting attention. It's how much attentions Ferguson got.

I don't think I am. It's a massive difference between an officer dying in the line of duty and an unarmed civilian being shot in broad daylight by a police officer. Regardless of the substance of either story, the second one is always going to garner the bigger reaction and thus more attention. Comparing the two to make a racial bias claim is fantasy.

Edited by GreggyT

I don't think I am. It's a massive difference between an officer dying in the line of duty and an unarmed civilian being shot in broad daylight by a police officer.

Not that different. A white police officer and a black kid in the middle of the street both run about the same risk of being killed.

Not that different. A white police officer and a black kid in the middle of the street both run about the same risk of being killed.

But the outcome in public reaction will be different every time, outrage on the side of the unarmed civilian will be ten times what it is for the officer. Not saying that's fair, that's just how it goes. Race, in the case of the officer, doesn't move the needle. Race in the case of the civilian adds TNT on top of what was already going to be a big story.

You mean the riots and police in militarized gear and national guard being called in. That attention? Don't remember any of that from Rochester

But the outcome in public reaction will be different every time, outrage on the side of the unarmed civilian will be ten times what it is for the officer. Not saying that's fair, that's just how it goes. Race, in the case of the officer, doesn't move the needle. Race in the case of the civilian adds TNT on top of what was already going to be a big story.

Most people sort of expect criminals to kill viscously, but not cops.

These stories aren't missed the Police Officers, which is one reason why they're very wary of "citizens" and quick to violence. It's a vicious circle that has been brought to you by the utter mismanagement at every level of government.

The only reason the Ferguson incident became a national story is because it was originally billed as "white cop kills black teen who was surrendering." Then the facts became known. It was similar to the Trayvon Martin incident.

The only reason the Ferguson incident became a national story is because it was originally billed as "white cop kills black teen who was surrendering." Then the facts became known. It was similar to the Trayvon Martin incident.

Facts are irrelevant. The narrative is what matters.

Foreward!

Facts are irrelevant. The narrative is what matters.

Foreward!

Foreward? That's not a word. It's forward, you dunce. Anyway, those of us that took a wait and see attitude about Ferguson are probably the same ones that took a wait and see approach to the Trayvon Martin debacle. The race baiters jump in right away to rile up the crowd regardless of the facts.