Just how popular is Fred Jackson as a Buffalo Bill?

Tipster19

So, would it be fair to say this:

Fred has been more important to his Bills team than any other player in Bills history.

Because, I want to say it.

No breakaway speed has been a problem for me since he got here.Just a sneaky runner who puts the ball on the carpet too much.

Please provide numbers and statistics to back this up. Other than McCoy and Peterson, I am not sure any other quality backs in this league are head over heels better than him and fumble less.

Denying this guy is the 3rd best RB in Bills history is impossible, but on probably 25 other teams in this league he would be considered the best back in their history. Think about it: Carolina, Houston, Jacksonville, The Redskins, NY Jets, NY Giants, NE , Miami, Cincinatti, Green Bay, Arizona, San Diego, Baltimore, and on and on...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You evidently do not know much about football. This guys finds the tough yards. How many yards in a season does not state the whole story. He has produced first downs more than most and just knows howo to get forward when there is nothing, or can use his balance to make those 3-2's work. why do you think after initially using CJ so many times early last year why he moved to Fredex. He did it as he is a much more durable back.

As far as your 1000 yard conversation, do you remember he had 953 at 10 games just a couple of year sago before he broke his leg. That extrapolated out was a 1525 yard season which would have been only 15 yards behind MJD that year with a bad line and his hardest run defenses were in the beginning of the year.

FJ would be a stud on a talented team, but has never complained all of these years. He just goes out there and is a Bill. You may want to look at that before you post with your extensive experience on this board.

I apologize as I don't make things personal, but you are so off, I'm not happy with this type of post. You have a right to your opinion, even if I violently disagree with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I live in Tampa for the last 23 years after growing up in Buffalo.

Lots of backs can get a couple of tough yards consistently. It's nothing special. I never said he sucked. He is just so over-rated. People talk about him like he is adrian peterson. I don't really have the time to look it up right now, but I will bet that the list of backs with more than 1 1,000 yard season over the past 7 or 8 years is pretty unimpressive.

The problem with the amazing season that you referred to is that the durability that you noted didn't apply that year. He had a nice stretch during that season, but his body didn't hold up. How about the next year (maybe 2 years later)? More injury issues, but most of all, he had a massive case of the fumbles which hurt the team.

Last year, not even the leading rusher on this team. Do you think teams really game planned for jackson? Of course they didn't. They were focused on shutting down spiller because he was the only guy on the entire offense who was capable of killing a defense. Do you really think that defenses were afraid of fred's extra 2 or 3 yards when we had no passing attack and only one real weapon?

Fred has been more important to his Bills team than any other player in Bills history.

Please provide numbers and statistics to back this up. Other than McCoy and Peterson, I am not sure any other quality backs in this league are head over heels better than him and fumble less.

Denying this guy is the 3rd best RB in Bills history is impossible, but on probably 25 other teams in this league he would be considered the best back in their history. Think about it: Carolina, Houston, Jacksonville, The Redskins, NY Jets, NY Giants, NE , Miami, Cincinatti, Green Bay, Arizona, San Diego, Baltimore, and on and on...

I love Fred, and I totally get your point, but I can't help but wonder if it will come to be that someone feels obliged to give a team by team rebuttal. And can you name the guy with the time, energy and attitude to take on the challenge? If it doesn't happen, THAT is a comment on how popular Fred is to the fan base.

I must be misreading this:

Carolina - new team, but deangelo williams and jonathan stewart have been pretty damn good

Houston? Seriously? Ever heard of arian foster?

Jax? MJD? Hello? wasn't there another guy...stewart or something. Also a new team

Redskins: morris is way better today, plus john riggins along with many others

Jets: curtis martin

NE: curtis martin...hell antawn smith was pretty damn close

Miami: ricky williams was light years better and he didn't even give a crap about the game. Also ronnie brown

Cinci: lol. Corey dillon accomplished more by his second season

San diego: have you ever heard of tomlinson? One of the best ever

Do I need to keep going? These are just guys from recent history.

Jackson isn't even top 3 from this millenium: mcgahee, henry, lynch and spiller were/are all better.

I must be misreading this:

Carolina - new team, but deangelo williams and jonathan stewart have been pretty damn good

Houston? Seriously? Ever heard of arian foster?

Jax? MJD? Hello? wasn't there another guy...stewart or something. Also a new team

Redskins: morris is way better today, plus john riggins along with many others

Jets: curtis martin

NE: curtis martin...hell antawn smith was pretty damn close

Miami: ricky williams was light years better and he didn't even give a crap about the game. Also ronnie brown

Cinci: lol. Corey dillon accomplished more by his second season

San diego: have you ever heard of tomlinson? One of the best ever

Do I need to keep going? These are just guys from recent history.

Jackson isn't even top 3 from this millenium: mcgahee, henry, lynch and spiller were/are all better.

A lot of the runners are pretty spot on but Antawn on the Pats* was nowhere near Fred. Fred had twice as many yards rushing and nearly 2.5 times the total yards from scrimmage.Foster is a little behind on yards and total yards.

I love Fred. Hell, everyone loves Fred!! But he is far from wall of fame worthy. 5000 yards in 7 seasons?

Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson played on crappy teams, too.

Fred is a fan favorite because he was an UDFA DIII nobody who made a career for himself by working very hard. Commendable? Yup. Worthy of being a beloved Bill? Yep. One of the greatest Bills, ever? Not remotely close.

Just think about all the truly great Bills who are not on that wall.

A lot of the runners are pretty spot on but Antawn on the Pats* was nowhere near Fred. Fred had twice as many yards rushing and nearly 2.5 times the total yards from scrimmage.Foster is a little behind on yards and total yards.

With 1 more season under his belt, antwan has 1700 more yards and 26 more rushing tds than fred. He was only with ne for 3 yrs and had an 1100 yard season while there.

With 1 more season under his belt, antwan has 1700 more yards and 26 more rushing tds than fred. He was only with ne for 3 yrs and had an 1100 yard season while there.

So why would he count for the Pats*? He played more seasons for the Bills. It should only be the yardage for when he was on the Pats* in this comparison. Don't you think?

So why would he count for the Pats*? He played more seasons for the Bills. It should only be the yardage for when he was on the Pats* in this comparison. Don't you think?

Well, his best season with the pats was better than fred's best season with the bills so I guess you could go either way. His career stats show that he had a better career by quite a bit.

Class act and I think one of the lone bright spots for the Bills of the last eight years. For the younger generation of Bills fans, myself included, he has to be probably the favorite. I would say only Kyle Williams or Aaron Schobel could compete

How many of those runners split time like Fred and than did so late in their career?

He is like Warren Moon or Kurt Warner. Combine everything they did and it makes it that much more impressive .

Well, his best season with the pats was better than fred's best season with the bills so I guess you could go either way. His career stats show that he had a better career by quite a bit.

who did he split carries with? What were the records of his teams?

I guess we'll agree to disagree Antawn averaged 3.9 yards a carry he only leads Fred because of two more years 9 to 7 and 650 more carries. Total yards they are almost identical.

I guess we'll agree to disagree Antawn averaged 3.9 yards a carry he only leads Fred because of two more years 9 to 7 and 650 more carries. Total yards they are almost identical.

We can do that. Tds should be considered too and smith has almost twice as many.

I don't really have the time to look it up right now, but I will bet that the list of backs with more than 1 1,000 yard season over the past 7 or 8 years is pretty unimpressive.

Some things just don't show up in the statistics. I have been a Bills and general football fan since the early 60's and have watched a lot of football. One thing about Fred that never ceases to amaze me is his blocking ability. My memory may be failing me but there have been very few running backs, IMO, that were or are as good at blocking. That has to count for something.