Tight Ends Starting to Become Available

The Dean

I've bemoaned our TE situation in the past, too, but Chandler has made improvements to his game each season in my opinion. He's one of the guys this offense can actually hang their hats on, though it'd sure be nice to have a superstar.

Although the team has certainly been in a worse position with their TE's. I don't see a lot of improvement.. he is what he is and that is a I target. Blocking TE? Nope.

I found it telling that he tested the FA waters last winter. He got zero takers, and instead of a pay bump. Signed with the Bills again at a pay cut. That says a lot of what the league thought of him. That said he is by far the teams best TE. I wish he was more of a red zone threat, he has the size.

That's sort of like talking about Jim Abbott's "best hand," but I digress.

:lol:

Chandler is OK. Last year he dropped a few big passes, if I recall correctly, but he has usually been reliable. I believe he is a serviceable blocker and just above that in the passing game. The Bills have certainly been in worse shape there.

Lee Smith is a solid, if unspectacular, blocker. He actually seems to have good hands, and I don't recall him dropping passes. But he's a slow lumbering guy and when he's in the game the D typically doesn't have to pay all that much attention to him in the passing game.

But these guys have been getting dinged-up in preseason, and I'm concerned the Bills will need to use another TE more than they would care to. I'd love to see a guy who can block and pass. Doesn't have to have great speed, but should be comfortable in the passing game and at least a good a blocker as Smith..

The only issue I have with him, seem to recall him him getting a number of holding calls against him at rather critical times. If it were Chandler who's considered an average blocker I'd say OK fine, but for the guy who's on the team for his blocking abilities seemed to get called too often.

Lee Smith is a solid, if unspectacular, blocker. He actually seems to have good hands, and I don't recall him dropping passes. But he's a slow lumbering guy and when he's in the game the D typically doesn't have to pay all that much attention to him in the passing game.

The only issue I have with him, seem to recall him him getting a number of holding calls against him at rather critical times. If it were Chandler who's considered an average blocker I'd say OK fine, but for the guy who's on the team for his blocking abilities seemed to get called too often.

I think you are right. He was flagged a bit.

Oh Sweet Jeepers, what a letdown. I opened this thread thinking it was like the start of a JBoyst thread:

"A man walks into a bar at happy hour with all the tight ends starting to become available."

My bad. :bag:

Gay bar?