Sick of Marone Being Down on Backups but Coddling EJ

Mr. T

I don't care if they light fires or pat his back and give him ice cream.... As long as it works for him.

I tell non Bills fans I know; EJ is everything you want in a QB...until he steps on the field. I live down in J-Ville, so I've seen plenty of Bortals the last few weeks. Poise, pocket presence and decisiveness are what I've seen in him. Bortals does appear to have some accuracy issues but damn, the game doesn't seem to overwhelm him like it does EJ.

It makes me think that accuracy isn't what will hold EJ back in the end. Maybe the game will slow for EJ someday but it pains me to see other young QB's progress as rookies, and our guy regress.

I also live in FL and it's Bortles. You are right though he looks much better in pre-season. We'll see. Jax defense looks like they stepped forward as well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't be used selectively.

Except when it can't be. To compare the importance of an OLB to a QB is not even worth debating.

I'm struggling to think of an example of a QB competition that ultimately was beneficial to a team. If you have an open competition at QB, all it means is neither guy is very good.

yeah, this could be a real problem if they needed next years first rounder for a QB. My guess is either Whaley or a different GM would go the FA route for a QB. There will be no patience for another draft choice.

Good QBs never hit free agency. If there's a free agent QB, it's either their old team screwed up (rare) or there are a lot of questions about his ability.

The only possible decent QB who may be available is Alex Smith

Although the preseason looked horrible offensively, I thought Manuel played well last year, and if he didn't get hurt in the Cleveland game, the season likely would have had a much better outcome. Probably would have won that game and gone on from there.

I think many are forgetting the bright side of his play as a rookie, missing lots of time.

I will give him more regular season time to judge his performance.

agree. I know these are only highlights and not the bad plays but he did do some things well last year.

Jeff Tuel has twice as many touchdowns this preseason, a higher completion percentage, a higher quarterback rating, and gains twice as many yards as EJ per scramble.

That's pretty decent competition already on the roster. Personally, I'd like to see Tuel given some time with the starters. I like the cut of his jib.

Jeff Tuel has twice as many touchdowns this preseason, a higher completion percentage, a higher quarterback rating, and gains twice as many yards as EJ per scramble.

That's pretty decent competition already on the roster. Personally, I'd like to see Tuel given some time with the starters. I like the cut of his jib.

EJ has looked far better against second stringers than Tuel. What's your point?

EJ has looked far better against second stringers than Tuel. What's your point?

EJ always plays with 1s against 1s, or 2s sometimes

Tuel always plays with 2s against 2s, or 1s sometimes

I have a suspicion our 2s on offense are worse relative to most 2s, than our 1s compared to 1s. Don't know it to be the case, but it could explain some puzzling things like Thad regressing

EJ scored two touchdowns with the entire starting offense playing against second stringers. Tuel scored with backups against backups. Advantage Tuel.

A simplistic and factually incorrect understanding of what actually occurred. Cool story. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Out of all 116 QBs that played this preseason

We had three in the bottom 7 (Thad, Dixon, Palmer)

Supports the idea that it's difficult to play with our 2s

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/playersort/nfl/year-2014-season-pre-category-passing

(Click "all players" and the "all" button at the bottom, and click "rating" to sort by rating)

Edited by Just Nguyen Baby

EJ is the best QB on the team he deserves to start.

A simplistic and factually incorrect understanding of what actually occurred. Cool story. :thumbsup:

18 points per game is better than 11 points per game. Can we agree?

In 23 possessions this pre-season, with EJ at the helm, the Bills punted 9 times (40%). They scored scored 2 touchdowns against backups (9%). They scored 4 fieldgoals (17%). That's amounted to 22 points. They averaged 0.956 points per possession. If you factor in, that one of EJ's fumbles was returned directly for a touchdown, then they averaged 0.65 points per possession. If you consider the fact that one of his interceptions was converted for a touchdown, well, I am glad that it is you who are defending EJ and not me. There's an average of 12 possessions per team in the NFL. Will 11 points per game be enough?

In 11 possessions this pre-season, with Tuel at the helm, the Bills punted 2 times (18%). They made a FG (9%), and missed one. He threw (with his arm) for 2 touchdowns (18%). That amounted to 17 points. They averaged 1.54 points per possession. That's about 150% of what they averaged with EJ. The only points recorded off Tuel's turnovers was a FG. Over the average 12 possession game you could expect Tuel's offense to score 18 points.

I'd rather have an offense that scored 18 points per game than an offense that scored 11 points, even if it is the preseason.

Edited by Franz Kafka

In 23 possessions this pre-season, with EJ at the helm, the Bills punted 9 times (40%). They scored scored 2 touchdowns against backups (9%). They scored 4 fieldgoals (17%). That's amounted to 22 points. They averaged 0.956 points per possession. If you factor in, that one of EJ's fumbles was returned directly for a touchdown, then they averaged 0.65 points per possession. If you consider the fact that one of his interceptions was converted for a touchdown, well, I am glad that it is you who are defending EJ and not me. There's an average of 12 possessions per team in the NFL. Will 11 points per game be enough?

In 11 possessions this pre-season, with Tuel at the helm, the Bills punted 2 times (18%). They made a FG (9%), and missed one. He threw (with his arm) for 2 touchdowns (18%). That amounted to 17 points. They averaged 1.54 points per possession. That's about 150% of what they averaged with EJ. The only points recorded off Tuel's turnovers was a FG. Over the average 12 possession game you could expect Tuel's offense to score 18 points.

I'd rather have an offense that scored 18 points than an offense that scored 11 points, even if it is the preseason.

It's preseason.....It's preseason....It's preseason. Please stop trying to gain meaning out of an utterly meaningless preseason statistical analysis. It's beyond comical Look at all of these 2014 preseason leaders: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's preseason.....It's preseason....It's preseason. Please stop trying to gain meaning out of an utterly meaningless preseason statistical analysis. It's beyond comical Look at all of these 2014 preseason leaders: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats :lol:

Are you trying to tell me that Brice Butler isn't on the verge of a career year?

I don't know . I want to give EJ every possible chance to prove that he is our guy because he is a great guy .

But every time he hits the field he really shows us nothing !! So i think as previous regimes have done in B/Lo Marrone will die by the OC/QB & go back to prove that he can bring another losing college squad back to .500 status ..

YAY !! GO DOUG !!

In the regular season last year, Thad Lewis had a better completion percentage, and QBR than your man EJ Manuel.

Granted, Jeff Tuel didn't have the greatest regular season, but he hasn't been given the same opportunities as the other gentlemen.

In the regular season last year, Thad Lewis had a better completion percentage, and QBR than your man EJ Manuel.

Granted, Jeff Tuel didn't have the greatest regular season, but he hasn't been given the same opportunities as the other gentlemen.

Thad Lewis is unemployed. :doh: QBR :lol: Tuel sucks. :sick:

Are you seriously trying to argue that Tuel is better than EJ?

Some Bills' fans are........."interesting" :blush: