Every EJ Manuel Rushing Attempt in 2013

uncle flap

LAMP- I made a video of all of EJ's runs from last year, in chronological order.

I started with an open mind, hoping there would be some interesting takeaways or insight we might've overlooked during the course of the season.

I'm probably suffering from some sort of situational blindness from watching the clips over and over while making it, so I'm interesting in feedback from the fresh eyes of the board.

A couple things stood out to me:

1. EJ seems a much better at running than scrambling; That is, on designed runs, he's more decisive and generally covers ground quickly. On some of the broken plays, he danced a little too much and ran for little to no gain after deciding to take off. His mobility can be negated by waiting too long to start scrambling, and in some of those instances, he probably would've been better off throwing it away.

2. While EJ is pretty fast for a QB, he's not quick. He won't make a lot of guys miss, which is why I think they should keep sprinkling in the read option and PA designed QB runs. Let the misdirection create the space, and let EJ take the wide open space. EJ may eventually develop into a pocket passer, but I don't think the Bills should limit one of his better attributes just because he's not as agile as Mike Vick once was. EJ won't break off a 25 yd+ run very often, but let him get those 5-10 yards that help sustain drives.

3. I don't know what to make of his knees. EJ's natural inclination is to initiate contact and not to slide. While I don't want him kamikaze diving headfirst into LBs, there were a couple plays where he decided to slide too late, and still got hit. I'd prefer him to either initiate his slides earlier, or try to extend the play toward the sideline. If he's taking a hit anyway, he might as well get another couple of yards. One play in particular stood out to me in the Steelers game: EJ seemed like he could've gotten into the endzone, or at least 3-4 yards closer. Instead he slid, and I wonder if that's his own concern about injury, or the coaches'.

Anyway, here's the video. Let me know what you think. GO BILLS!

http://www.veoh.com/...6674322gSFYBjcg

PS I don't know if Veoh is incompatible with TBD, but I can't figure out how to embed it. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate that, too.

PPS There's some NSFW lyrics in some of the songs, so keep the volume low if that's an issue for you.

Edited by uncle flap

Thanks for that, and all the work. You're right, he's not quick, or nimble, but he can run pretty well. And has excellent play fakes, with the exception of that bobble fumble where I couldn't tell what happened.

I think he just decided to pull the ball out too late and lost his grip. I agree he's very good at the play fakes and hope Hackett uses that to his advantage.

Totally agreed. EJ runs the play action really well, and we seem to never call it. Or if we do it is out of shotgun, which is a little awkward for us. Not sure if it is the formation, EJ, or the RB, but I never get sold on it watching TV. Don't even get me started on how much I hate the amount we run out of the shotgun that is a different thread entirely. Again my issue with Hackett is using our strengths and disguising our weeknesses. Running spread and play action will get the D to freeze for a moment hiding our line. Not to mention all the wet dreams Spiller will have in a spread. Putting EJ under center will help his footwork, the running game, and all in all accuracy on quick routes.

I like when he uses his athleticism... he just needs to have unnecessary hits* coached out of him, which is relatively easy to do. For whatever reason we seem to be content with just making him a pocket passer, though... which is ignoring some of his strengths, imo.

* - Sometimes he lowers his shoulder/dives instead of taking a baseball slide.

Edited by Dorkington

LAMP- I made a video of all of EJ's runs from last year, in chronological order.

I started with an open mind, hoping there would be some interesting takeaways or insight we might've overlooked during the course of the season.

I'm probably suffering from some sort of situational blindness from watching the clips over and over while making it, so I'm interesting in feedback from the fresh eyes of the board.

A couple things stood out to me:

1. EJ seems a much better at running than scrambling; That is, on designed runs, he's more decisive and generally covers ground quickly. On some of the broken plays, he danced a little too much and ran for little to no gain after deciding to take off. His mobility can be negated by waiting too long to start scrambling, and in some of those instances, he probably would've been better off throwing it away.

2. While EJ is pretty fast for a QB, he's not quick. He won't make a lot of guys miss, which is why I think they should keep sprinkling in the read option and PA designed QB runs. Let the misdirection create the space, and let EJ take the wide open space. EJ may eventually develop into a pocket passer, but I don't think the Bills should limit one of his better attributes just because he's not as agile as Mike Vick once was. EJ won't break off a 25 yd+ run very often, but let him get those 5-10 yards that help sustain drives.

3. I don't know what to make of his knees. EJ's natural inclination is to initiate contact and not to slide. While I don't want him kamikaze diving headfirst into LBs, there were a couple plays where he decided to slide too late, and still got hit. I'd prefer him to either initiate his slides earlier, or try to extend the play toward the sideline. If he's taking a hit anyway, he might as well get another couple of yards. One play in particular stood out to me in the Steelers game: EJ seemed like he could've gotten into the endzone, or at least 3-4 yards closer. Instead he slid, and I wonder if that's his own concern about injury, or the coaches'.

Anyway, here's the video. Let me know what you think. GO BILLS!

http://www.veoh.com/...6674322gSFYBjcg

PS I don't know if Veoh is incompatible with TBD, but I can't figure out how to embed it. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate that, too.

PPS There's some NSFW lyrics in some of the songs, so keep the volume low if that's an issue for you.

Nice video (though I had to mute it, not because of the NSFW lyrics, but because I'm a music snob). And I agree with most of your conclusions. One thing about his runs which result from broken plays/scrambling away from pressure---I think he's still looking for an open receiver and not fully committed to running on a number of those attempts. There's a fine line between not staying on the play and waiting too long. In preseason, for example, Johnny Football took off too early and too often, IMO, That might work for him, but they were bad decisions for most QBs. I'm hoping EJ finds the right balance here. Steve Young comes to mind as a guy who seemingly always made the right decision about when to run and when to keep the pass alive.

I think EJs athleticism and running ability is overrated by most on this board. He doesnt make a quick decision like a Wilson or Kap, who see a hole and take off. He doesnt have the strength of a Big Ben. Nick Foles had a better YPC than EJ last year, on similar attempts and I dont think much of his running ability.

Nice video (though I had to mute it, not because of the NSFW lyrics, but because I'm a music snob). And I agree with most of your conclusions. One thing about his runs which result from broken plays/scrambling away from pressure---I think he's still looking for an open receiver and not fully committed to running on a number of those attempts. There's a fine line between not staying on the play and waiting too long. In preseason, for example, Johnny Football took off too early and too often, IMO, That might work for him, but they were bad decisions for most QBs. I'm hoping EJ finds the right balance here. Steve Young comes to mind as a guy who seemingly always made the right decision about when to run and when to keep the pass alive.

I think you're right that there's a fine line when it comes to bailing on the play. I'm sure even Steve Young had to learn from experience, so hopefully EJ gets better in that regard.

If I may ask, which song(s) weren't you a fan of? I was obviously going for a theme there, so I tired to put a little something in for everyone. Any good "running" songs I should use for the 2014 version? B-)

The Bills always stressed that he was a mobile QB, but not a running QB. Meaning that he was elusive and could throw on the run, but that he is not necessarily a rushing QB.

That was more or less the story when he was drafted, but I don't think anyone will be confusing him with Big Ben anytime soon. Like I said earlier, he's a long strider, and not going to make those jukes and cuts made famous by some other "running" QBs. But I think a reluctance to run - either self or coach instilled- is selling his skill set short. Overall, I like EJ, but too often he makes easy throws look tough and if he can get the same job done with his legs, I'd encourage him to do so.

Totally agreed. EJ runs the play action really well, and we seem to never call it. Or if we do it is out of shotgun, which is a little awkward for us. Not sure if it is the formation, EJ, or the RB, but I never get sold on it watching TV. Don't even get me started on how much I hate the amount we run out of the shotgun that is a different thread entirely. Again my issue with Hackett is using our strengths and disguising our weeknesses. Running spread and play action will get the D to freeze for a moment hiding our line. Not to mention all the wet dreams Spiller will have in a spread. Putting EJ under center will help his footwork, the running game, and all in all accuracy on quick routes.

I don't have an issue with Hackett's game overall, but I certainly can nitpick. That said, I do agree there needs to be more PA coming from under center. That's were some of his biggest gains come from, both on the ground and in the air.

I'm fine with running the spread at times, but I have concerns with EJ's decision making and accuracy - two of the most important aspects operating out of the spread.

I like when he uses his athleticism... he just needs to have unnecessary hits* coached out of him, which is relatively easy to do. For whatever reason we seem to be content with just making him a pocket passer, though... which is ignoring some of his strengths, imo.

* - Sometimes he lowers his shoulder/dives instead of taking a baseball slide.

I agree in general. I hated seeing him slide (and sliding late, so he'd still absorb a hit anyway) when he might've been able to change direction and gain a few more yards. Like I said, he's got to learn that fine line between extending the play and bailing. Here's to hoping he makes a leap in that regard this year, so if/when I make another compilation of his runs, it will seem more like a highlight reel!

great vid....one thing I notice our blocking down field was horrible.....two ej need to make the decisoon to run sooner than later....three you can tell that the oline was not use to ej...

Interesting thought about the o line. I didn't really consider that but now that you mention it, there were plenty of plays where a few of them looked a little more lost than they should've been.

I think EJs athleticism and running ability is overrated by most on this board. He doesnt make a quick decision like a Wilson or Kap, who see a hole and take off. He doesnt have the strength of a Big Ben. Nick Foles had a better YPC than EJ last year, on similar attempts and I dont think much of his running ability.

You may be right, but i think plenty here do the opposite, and underrate his ability, just because he doesn't look like Wilson or CK.

Boiled down, I think my point is that EJ might not be as strong as Big Ben, nor as flashy and quick as some other running QBs, but since EJ has yet to develop a strong pocket passing game, he should use his legs more. Just so long as he doesn't get hurt 0:)

Overall, I'd like to see more read option and bootlegs out of the PA. He won't deke guys out of their jocks, but he can certainly take the 5-10 yards those designed runs often yield. Certainly with more consistency than he's show he can through the air thus far.

In some of the earlier videos (first NYJ game most notably), EJ had forever in the pocket and couldn't find a target. Didn't seem to be as much of a problem later, but I hope that our revamped WR corps will help EJ out some. He did put himself in danger a few too many times on the run, but some of the designed QB keepers worked out pretty well.