Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

The 49ers and Colin Kaepernick have scored either six or nine points total with their first string offense. No Tds in three games.

That can only mean one thing: Nothing.

I was thinking the same thing.

And watching the Carolina/Chiefs game last Sunday night, Newton and Smith each threw more bad passes in the 1st half (and maybe the 1st qtr) than EJ did the entire game yesterday. That's not to say I think EJ is as good of a QB as Smith or Newton. But it does demonstrate that even decent QBs throw bad passes. I hope EJ develops much the way Smith developed. Had he been playing here, many on the board would have had him hung by now.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing.

And watching the Carolina/Chiefs game last Sunday night, Newton and Smith each threw more bad passes in the 1st half (and maybe the 1st qtr) than EJ did the entire game yesterday. That's not to say I think EJ is as good of a QB as Smith or Newton.

It's a pretty good thing you made that clear, because it saved several posts' worth of bandwidth.

The 49ers and Colin Kaepernick have scored either six or nine points total with their first string offense. No Tds in three games.

Ok clever. Let me just make sure I understand your logic. The 49ers haven't scored points, therefore we shouldn't be worried that we haven't scored points? Can you confirm before I continue?

Ok clever. Let me just make sure I understand your logic. The 49ers haven't scored points, therefore we shouldn't be worried that we haven't scored points? Can you confirm before I continue?

The logic is, if you don't score points in preseason games with your first offense, it doesn't mean your offense stinks, or will stink, or your starting QB stinks, or will stink, it's friggin' preseason.

I think that point was rather obvious and straight forward.

I think EJ is slowly improving and MAY become a good QB. Don't complain about not throwing downfield though. They are purposely not showing the deep ball. But I agree you need a plan B in case he regresses, or does not improve a little more quickly or gets hurt. So picking up Orton would be smart. EJ starts the first few games and by then Orton would be ready if needed. Otherwise there is no plan B.

I think that point was rather obvious and straight forward.

nevermind, not worth it.

I think EJ is slowly improving and MAY become a good QB. Don't complain about not throwing downfield though. They are purposely not showing the deep ball. But I agree you need a plan B in case he regresses, or does not improve a little more quickly or gets hurt. So picking up Orton would be smart. EJ starts the first few games and by then Orton would be ready if needed. Otherwise there is no plan B.

Like I said on the first post, it's really not as much about EJ as running the best possible football team. There's no rule that says a rookie QB needs to start. It wasn't even that common until that recently. What could the reason possibly be to not have a QB with experience on the roster? I think in the end it could be real disservice to him not to have a vet QB around. That might be from pushing him, from getting game tips, from learning behind them on the bench.

nevermind, not worth it.

Like I said on the first post, it's really not as much about EJ as running the best possible football team. There's no rule that says a rookie QB needs to start. It wasn't even that common until that recently. What could the reason possibly be to not have a QB with experience on the roster? I think in the end it could be real disservice to him not to have a vet QB around. That might be from pushing him, from getting game tips, from learning behind them on the bench.

I would agree with that. Good observation, especially after last year. Why would they take the chance of history repeating itself? Although they did try this with Kolb but he flamed out so quickly it didn't matter. I guess their biggest mistake was their evaluation of Kolb and not making the effort again this year.

If I recall they started pretty slow last year. I'm sure they'd like to see a little chemistry out of the gate.... But as you note, it surely doesn't mean they won't be very successful

Wheels are off, where are we now ?

You my friend are on ignore, and I should've known better than to view anyway..... But you were gone awhile and I forgot how bad posts like this were

For an answer- we are currently tied for first place in the league! There are a lot if things that have bothered me the last year and a half but if you can't enjoy the team before the season even starts why are you even tuning in? Sure, ask the questions but atleast wait and see the answers before you give up. If you can't handle preseason, don't watch.

I would agree with that. Good observation, especially after last year. Why would they take the chance of history repeating itself? Although they did try this with Kolb but he flamed out so quickly it didn't matter. I guess their biggest mistake was their evaluation of Kolb and not making the effort again this year.

The problems here are: First there just aren't decent veterans around at this point. Second bringing in a QB this late hasn't worked for the Bills in the past. (I'm not suggesting that it can't work, but I don't think this coaching staff is crazy about the idea) Orton is one idea, but does he even want to play football---and potentially as a backup? I thought I read he was leaning toward retiring.

I think the brain trust thought, based on his performance last year, Thad was a serviceable backup with Tuel just behind him, learning the position and the system. An improved OL and with more RB depth it wasn't a terrible conclusion. I agree, based on what we have seen so far, that looks like it might have been a mistake. I think having Dixon play with the 2's suggests they may be coming to the same conclusion.

I have little doubt Whaley is keeping his eyes open. But he isn't going to bring in someone just to bring him in, if he suspects they have nothing to offer. You can do that in some situations, where the starters are settled (ie NE and their ever rotating tight end signing). But I'm not sure they want to do that, and take the needed reps away from these young QBs, for a guy they don't really believe in.

When the cuts are made, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull the trigger on a surprise veteran cut.

Edited by The Dean

Orton, to me, is a unique case of a guy who has had a little more success than others. I wish the OP had framed it as Orton to push EJ or Orton as a #2, which makes all sorts of sense to me.

I would back up the money truck for Orton and I'm not joking. I think he would be good for our situation, even though I really don't want him as the starter. He would have made a ton more sense than Kolb. In fact, he is the guy that OBD wished Kolb could have been.

Orton's resume doesn't boast a whole lot of success.

If Orton was the Bills' starting QB, people would be bitching about his inability to throw deep and his penchant for coming up small in pressure situations. Orton is a good backup QB who has plateaued as a safe game manager type who can only take a team so far. I'd be happy to have at OBD him over both Tuel and Lewis of course.

Speaking of that double standard, EJ had a Probowl rookie season compared to ortons train wreck rookie season with a Passer rating in the 50s.

This isn't a hate on EJ posting. I look at this team and think it's got the right mix to make the playoffs. The exception is simply Quarterback. I don't know if EJ will be a good QB or not, but it seems he's probably not ready to lead a team to the playoffs in 2 weeks. There's really nothing wrong with this, plenty of QBs benefit from a few years as a 2nd string.

If we brought in Kyle Orton (he's my best case decent vetern QB that's available) do you think we make the playoffs? I'm talking about if we brought him in tomorrow. I feel like having Spiller in a contract year, FredEx at still a productive point in his career, Woods, Johnson, and Watkins at WR, and the strong defense...you just need an average QB to get there.

I understand it's going to be EJ. Ironically I feel like it might be best for Marrone, Whaley, Brandon, and EJ if went to a backup role for the year learning while completely healthy. If he does poorly this year, some or all of those individuals are probably looking for a job.

Thoughts? Would Kyle Orton, lack of prep time withstanding, still end up providing a better season record than EJ? (I'm assuming he's in football shape ready to play; I don't really know)

did he retire?