EJ showed he can move the ball

Nuncha

Well the Bills have never drafted a QB that worked out right away. Flutie was a Vet, Kelly got his lumps out in the USFL, and Kemp came from the Chargers so I guess Bills fans have no patience. I do because I'm smart enough to know one season does not make a good QB.

Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett don't have another year to hope EJ becomes a good NFL QB. For that matter, neither do EJ's teammates, who play in a league where career brevity is the norm.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ's not perfect. If you expect him to be, you're foolish.

EJ doesn't need a miracle to turn in a solid performance, but he's not good enough (yet) to carry the team by himself.

So, when his passes are off the mark and there are obvious mis-cues with his receivers and the OLine can't keep Dlinemen out of the backfield and the Oline is getting dinged with blocking/holding calls on every drive and they can't get the running game going, then EJ is going to struggle, and the whole offense with him.

It was painful watching the offense yesterday. But watching it a second time, it's clear that EJ was not fully to blame for yesterday's first half turd.

I'll cite four plays:

1. Following up on a nice first down catch on the sideline, Mike Williams let's another would-be first down bounce right off his arms.

2. Wide open, Robert Woods drives his man 18 yards up field, and turns for the ball two yards passed the first down marker. The throw--a timing throw--is put right at the marker, where Woods probably should have been. Those extra two yards put him out of range of the throw, and made him late to turn for it. It was clear that EJ wanted him to look for it at the marker.

3. Wide open down the seam, Robert Woods makes a Donald-Jonesesque mid-air adjustment only to whiff at the ball as the punting unit comes on. At the LOS, EJ released the ball with a defender parallel to the ground, burying his head in the QB's chest. All things considered, Woods, has to make a better play for that ball.

4. A defender lines up across from Mike Williams and comes off the edge, completely untouched, he's barreling down on EJ, who first looks to Williams up the seam, then checks to his outlet, Fred Jackson who's positioned just on the other side of the blitzing defender. The throw is awkward, and out of Jackson's reach, tough throw by EJ, but it looked like he wanted to go to Williams who was running free after the blitz, but never broke off his route for what would have been an easy first-down catch.

These miscues, combined with all the awful, terrible, horrible holding/blocking penalties. and yes, some errors by Manuel added up to one miserable looking offense.

I'm glad they mixed things up with the playcalling and came back in and put two TD's on the board. While the blocking up front was better, as was the flow between Manuel/Woods, Manuel/Chandler (who wasn't tripping over the hash mark giving up picks rather than getting catches/runs for first downs inside field goal range).

Folks blaming EJ have an agenda if they can't/won't/refuse to see these things.

Wait so it's a team game and every incompletion isn't solely the QBs fault?

Nice write up. The kid has shown at times he very much has the potential to be a decent nfl QB. It takes time to synch up with WRs and get the pro game down. Rookie QB performances historically show this without question.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

EJ will NEVER be a Franchise QB.

unfortunately for us, we will waste another season giving him his chance to prove otherwise.

management is inept at filling the single most important position on the team.

Please expound upon how you arrived at your NEVER conclusion?

Please expound upon how you arrived at your NEVER conclusion?

His crusade has been simple and reasonable: draft a quarterback in rounds 1-7, every year, until you find a franchise quarterback.

One need not know how to define 'franchise quaterback.' One need only devote every last resource to discovering 'it.'

His crusade has been simple and reasonable: draft a quarterback in rounds 1-7, every year, until you find a franchise quarterback.

One need not know how to define 'franchise quaterback.' One need only devote every last resource to discovering 'it.'

The first step toward success is to admit that you don't know WTF you are doing, and throw a lot of darts at the problem.

Easy to post that. How about some background based on tangible evidence to support the conclusion? Is that too much to ask for such a final determination? Absent any of that, it will be disregarded by me.

Easy to post that. How about some background based on tangible evidence to support the conclusion? Is that too much to ask for such a final determination? Absent any of that, it will be disregarded by me.

Right, which is why how he made my 'disregard' list after the 15th lap or so.

Just because the jury is still out on both doesn't mean they are in the same situation. They aren't.

Who said they were?

I think you did. In these posts, for two examples:

No argument with what you posted. IMO, you can't argue for Manziel on one hand and against Manuel on the other without bias.

9 1/2 games of real NFL experience vs no games of real NFL experience. Bottom line is two inexperienced QBs who need further development. It's not that different and the jury is out on both of them.