Are we in la la land? Nfl.com thinks we will finish 4th in AFC E

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hearing this a lot. But they are not looking bad. They gave up a lot of sacks last year, but they seem to have fixed that problem....

Brady already started his decline. I have noticed it for a couple of years already. It wouldn't surprise me if it became very noticeable this year. He's not 25 anymore.

Im hearing this a lot. But they are not looking bad. They gave up a lot of sacks last year, but they seem to have fixed that problem....

Brady already started his decline. I have noticed it for a couple of years already. It wouldn't surprise me if it became very noticeable this year. He's not 25 anymore.

Based on two preseason games? Why is it that every year people forget that the preseason doesn't mean anything? Let's see how their OL looks come September. Edited by metzelaars_lives

The point is, who knows what the record will be? Saying that they were bad last year really doesn't necessarily mean that they will be bad this year. The examples above all speak to that. If you want to say that the Bills will struggle because of the schedule, coaching and QB play it is one thing. The arguments that keep saying that they will be bad because they are always bad is the same lazy argument made by a lot of national reporters. I gave 5 examples off the top of my head from last year alone that dispell that notion. Add in Arizona, Baltimore, San Diego, and Minnesota if you want. It just isn't the best indicator was the point.

Oh, I'm not at all suggesting we'll be bad simply because we're the Bills.

I think if we had last year's schedule, we'd be a 10 win team this year. But we haven't improved enough to overcome the schedule we have this year, and I'm not super confident in our coaching.

Edit: I think the AFC East in general is going to look pretty mediocre, when it's all said and done. NE wins the division with something like a 9-7 record, for example.

Edited by Dorkington

If you are looking for areas where they are better the offensive skill players are a good place to start. Mike Williams and Stevie are at worst a wash, Woods has improved and Watkins is the best playmaker that they have drafted since OJ potentially. In addition, you trade out Tashard Choice and Ronnie Wingo for Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon and your RB stable is way improved. Add to that Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Chris Williams (at least better than Legursky) a healthier Pears and your line is improved. That is your entire offense outside of QB and Hackett. They are significantly improved.

That Line with Glenn, Williams, Wood, Pears, Henderson could really be very improved, as no team will be able to get a great outside rush. Its the guards that concern me, and I dunno if Hairston - Cujo wouldn't be better then Pears-Williams. Aside from that I think Legursky meets Mr Turk very soon.

That Line with Glenn, Williams, Wood, Pears, Henderson could really be very improved, as no team will be able to get a great outside rush. Its the guards that concern me, and I dunno if Hairston - Cujo wouldn't be better then Pears-Williams. Aside from that I think Legursky meets Mr Turk very soon.

Agree with all of that. It is always funny when someone says, "where have they improved" and the answer is pretty much everywhere on 1 side of the ball anyways. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Johnny gold (if you are still out there) you are a treat, and I hope you keep posting. in your defense, it should be pointed out that it's been really hard to go wrong betting against this team and it a been for quite while. this site has way too many homers and Pollyannas who constantly bash the media and fellow fans for pointing out the obvious.

But having said that, I think you missed the mark. You asked earlier for someone to explain how we WOULDN'T be awful, and I will:

offense: will rank 15th-20th. I'm not sold on EJ, but he has some great weapons and I think he willmove the ball better this year.

defense: will rank 10-15th I am impressed so far.

special teams...will be much better and we have a solid kicker that can eke out an extra win.

to me that =8-8, 9-7 if we have good luck with injuries.

there you have it.

We are not in lala land but I have heard rumors that someone, someday might move them there.

Nicely done.

La la as in los angeles.

The los angeles los angeles bills doesnt have a nice ring though.

Johnny gold (if you are still out there) you are a treat, and I hope you keep posting. in your defense, it should be pointed out that it's been really hard to go wrong betting against this team and it a been for quite while. this site has way too many homers and Pollyannas who constantly bash the media and fellow fans for pointing out the obvious.

But having said that, I think you missed the mark. You asked earlier for someone to explain how we WOULDN'T be awful, and I will:

offense: will rank 15th-20th. I'm not sold on EJ, but he has some great weapons and I think he willmove the ball better this year.

defense: will rank 10-15th I am impressed so far.

special teams...will be much better and we have a solid kicker that can eke out an extra win.

to me that =8-8, 9-7 if we have good luck with injuries.

there you have it.

then why the hell does the nfl think we are going backward? Unless you are a citizen on la la land...

This season is going to be interesting to say the least. Yesterday the steelers looked horrible in the first half, but they looked golden vs us... By that logic, we are going to suck bad!!!!! That's preseason logic, I dont believe it. If we stink it up tomorrow, then I'll be worried.

Agree with all of that. It is always funny when someone says, "where have they improved" and the answer is pretty much everywhere on 1 side of the ball anyways.

I agree with your comment, however two points -- 1- they haven't improved at QB and 2- most teams improve year to year and their fans feel the same way; so, to certain extent it's relative, have we improved more than the Jets, Dolphins and Pats ? Edited by TXBILLSFAN

For the most part, Vegas and the national media have it pegged correctly and objectively, the Bills are a last place team until proven otherwise. While, the talent around EJ has improved:

1- better depth at RB and a healthy Spiller

2- more experienced offensive coordinator

3- better WR's (Williams & Watkins), more experience (Woods, Goodwin)

4- Offensive line "should" be better, except they haven't looked it, yet

The BOTTOM line is EJ, and unfortunately, despite a some flashes, he is still inconsistent and not showing enough improvement to change the so-called experts minds. If you doubt that for a second, watch some of the preseason games Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers have played, they rarely miss. EJ has a long way to go, and in this league, it's all about the QB.

I agree with all that, but I will challenge the comparison to Peyton, Brees. Brady and Rodgers--four quarterbacks with a combined 503 starts, all of whom have the stats and the wins to be in the conversation for greatest quarterback ever.

They are much, much better quarterbacks than EJ Manuel, and nobody in their right mind would challenge that.

So why make the comparison? Nobody expects EJ to be at their level in year two. Shoot, THEY weren't even at their level when THEY were in year two.

Also, Buffalo is built to succeed in spite of their quarterback. EJ needs to not-lose games for them this year. The Bills have the defense and hopefully they built a ground game that can win this team games, if EJ can just put together a solid, mistake-free performance.

With the amount of money those players tie-up alone, their teams are built to succeed because they can rely on the quarterback to carry them. They HAVE to be best quarterbacks in football, just to manufacture wins.

I agree with all that, but I will challenge the comparison to Peyton, Brees. Brady and Rodgers--four quarterbacks with a combined 503 starts, all of whom have the stats and the wins to be in the conversation for greatest quarterback ever.

They are much, much better quarterbacks than EJ Manuel, and nobody in their right mind would challenge that.

So why make the comparison? Nobody expects EJ to be at their level in year two. Shoot, THEY weren't even at their level when THEY were in year two.

Also, Buffalo is built to succeed in spite of their quarterback. EJ needs to not-lose games for them this year. The Bills have the defense and hopefully they built a ground game that can win this team games, if EJ can just put together a solid, mistake-free performance.

With the amount of money those players tie-up alone, their teams are built to succeed because they can rely on the quarterback to carry them. They HAVE to be best quarterbacks in football, just to manufacture wins.

I wasn't intending to imply that EJ should be as good as those guys; I was simply using them as a reference to show the benchmark for great -- at this stage in development, EJ should be getting more consistent, I haven't seen that, yet, that was main point, not that I expect him to be GREAT right now.

EJ's biggest issue out of college was accuracy, that's my #1 issue to watch and see if he improves.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I wasn't intending to imply that EJ should be as good as those guys; I was simply using them as a reference to show the benchmark for great -- at this stage in development, EJ should be getting more consistent, I haven't seen that, yet, that was main point, not that I expect him to be GREAT right now.

EJ's biggest issue out of college was accuracy, that's my #1 issue to watch and see if he improves.

well, then we'll have to agree to disagree, because in re-watching each preseason game, he has--in fact--shown steady progress in becoming more consistent, more accurate and more aware of the play developing.

well, then we'll have to agree to disagree, because in re-watching each preseason game, he has--in fact--shown steady progress in becoming more consistent, more accurate and more aware of the play developing.

I'm anxious to see what you are seeing. I thought the last game he was better that what I heard on twitter and from comments, but he still has ways to go, IMO

Noooo! Now they won't be able to shock the world. Grantland ruining the surprise, ya'll.

@RyanTalbotBills: The #Bills are mentioned as one of 4 surprise teams here (If EJ Manuel plays decently), #BillsMafia

http://t.co/5u0xjbphll

If EJ shows up, all these discussions become moot, and the Bills get a winning record.

It's all about the "if"

I have a feeling our run defense will be good... but our pass defense will start tanking, causing for an overall worsening of defense, due to the nature of the league...

We'll see how Gilmore does coming in to year 3 healthy, but I believe our secondary was a high point last year. Of course we lost Byrd, but AW should fill in fine if he can produce some turnovers. Cockrell has been looking solid, as has Corey Graham. Don't sleep on Robey either. I agree there are a few question marks, especially with McLovin's hip, but I think we added more depth than we had last year,