Red Zone (not the channel)

Reading some things on our red zone woes and this is an interesting quote from Mike Williams,

"We've been working on it," Williams said. "We know that’s a point of emphasis. We weren’t ranked high in the red zone last year, so we’ll be working on it. We’ll see this week. We'll see if all the work has been paying off. There are no excuses, but last week we didn’t even have red zone in the game plan, so that made it kind of difficult, but no excuses, we have to score down there and make the catches we’re supposed to. We’ll see this week."

Mods, feel free to close this if it's already been discussed.

Reading some things on our red zone woes and this is an interesting quote from Mike Williams,

"We've been working on it," Williams said. "We know that’s a point of emphasis. We weren’t ranked high in the red zone last year, so we’ll be working on it. We’ll see this week. We'll see if all the work has been paying off. There are no excuses, but last week we didn’t even have red zone in the game plan, so that made it kind of difficult, but no excuses, we have to score down there and make the catches we’re supposed to. We’ll see this week."

Mods, feel free to close this if it's already been discussed.

I don't expect the Bills to run a game plan in a preseason game but they still should get a few TDs. The lack of O-line push is disturbing.

I don't expect the Bills to run a game plan in a preseason game but they still should get a few TDs. The lack of O-line push is disturbing.

I mean, but don't you expect them to have some kind of planning for the red zone, even if it's a limited game plan? especially in an area were we ranked 25th. Or are we just going wait until week 1 to go live with this stuff? Because that seems like a bad idea.

Just go ahead and follow 59 on every busted run play/batted ball. You'll see his man more involved in the play than him.

I totally agree with this. We've been stuffed on short yardage plays quite a few times so far this PS. I also hate the shotgun handoff on 3rd and 1. Why not put load up on the beef and blast away. Also, will someone please tell Dixon to stop jumping for the goal line. Keep your feet on the ground and drive it in there. Once you jump, your momentum stops. Plus reaching the ball out there like he did on the TD this past weekend may get him at some point.

I mean, but don't you expect them to have some kind of planning for the red zone, even if it's a limited game plan? especially in an area were we ranked 25th. Or are we just going wait until week 1 to go live with this stuff? Because that seems like a bad idea.

I agree on this as well. Even if it’s not necessarily red zone game planning for the PS but you’d think we’d at least have more short yardage plays in the rotation. I do like him but Chandler came up small on that 4th and goal. Can’t put that one on the coaches, he’s got to catch that ball.

This is single handed my #1 concern. I get that as a team, you don't show all your cards in the preseason. I get that you run vanilla and save the good stuff for the regular season. However, you address the issues/challenges that you as a team had in the previous season. Defensively, they clearly addressed their problems in the running game. The front 4 are focused a lot more on stopping runners from gashing them with big plays and the combination of Spikes and Rivers has been fantastic. The secondary still has challenges, but at least we're seeing some progress. Offensively, I'm seeing the same stubborn play calling by Hackett that we saw last year. 2nd and 1 with the defense playing 8 guys in coverage - pass incomplete. 3rd and 1 with the defense playing 8 guys in coverage - pass incomplete. Follow that up with a 4th and 1 run with the defense playing with 8 guys int he box - stuffed and turnover. I think the red zone offense is a mess. I don't think it has anything to do with execution, vanilla play calling, or anything of the sort. As each week passes, more and more I'm putting the responsibility clearly on Hackett's shoulders.

The Bills were staring down the barrel of a first half that might have otherwise ended in four scoring drives, all of them starting in opponent territory. Nevertheless, they could have racked up four field goals in one half pretty easily.

If they can do this consistently, working in just ONE touch down per game, that puts them at 28 points per game.

Just another way of looking at it.

we sucked in the red zone last year too. you would think they would have devoted the offseason to figuring that kind of stuff out. Boobie has shown some good athleticism getting in the end zone, i just want him to protect the ball a little better when he's jumping over the pile and extending it.

the one thing we know for sure...don't let Jeff Tuel ever throw a pass from the goal line

why in heavens name would you show your red zone stuff to regular season opponents during a freakin public exhibition? why would you show much at all? that 's why they don't . preseason games are just plain vanilla offense/defense tryouts against another team for the bottom 50% of your roster. I hate preseason games. Just have two of them and then get on with the season. this is stupid. thank goodness we haven't gotten any IR injuries yet in these stupid things. guarantee you they are working the h-ll out of red zone/goal line in practice

Edited by 8and8Forever

why in heavens name would you show your red zone stuff to regular season opponents during a freakin public exhibition? why would you show much at all? that 's why they don't . preseason games are just plain vanilla offense/defense tryouts against another team for the bottom 50% of your roster. I hate preseason games. Just have two of them and then get on with the season. this is stupid. thank goodness we haven't gotten any IR injuries yet in these stupid things. guarantee you they are working the h-ll out of red zone/goal line in practice

I mean you realize we can watch their practices, right? you don't have to guarantee it. Here are some recaps. Note: EJ does his best work on 7vs7 (subnote: football is played 11v11):

• The results of the red zone work were mixed. EJ Manuel's first six reps came in a nine-on-nine drill where there was a half-offensive line on the right side. We scratched our head when Manuel was pressured from the right side, tucked the ball, and scrambled to the left. Doug Marrone has previously emphasized the point of the seven-on-seven drill (or its cousin, the nine-on-nine drill) is to throw the ball downfield, so scrambling to the side of the field with no offensive or defensive linemen -- by design -- is a questionable decision. In 11-on-11 red zone work, Manuel was sacked on two of his first four reps and didn't record a touchdown in any of his seven total reps in that period. In the final seven-on-seven series, Manuel's first two passes didn't score points but he finished on a strong note, hitting Lee Smith and Mike Williams for back-to-back touchdowns.

• There was a heavy emphasis on the red zone in Wednesday's practice. The results weren't spectacular. In his second set of 11-on-11 reps, Manuel was sacked on his first two plays. The second play featured Manny Lawson pulling up in front of Manuel (no contact is allowed on quarterbacks) and standing there as Manuel continued to move his feet and read the defense for another second or two. It was an odd sight. Manuel found Lee Smith on the next play for a touchdown, one of just two we logged for Manuel in red zone drills. Some of Manuel's past problems cropped up Tuesday night, as he appeared to hold the ball too long on some plays while making questionable decisions (e.g. targeting Scott Chandler in double coverage in the end zone) on others. Overall, it was one of Manuel's poorer practices of camp.
  • Following the two-minute drill, the Bills closed out their practice with a 7-on-7 drill in the red zone, as they've done for most of camp. Manuel overthrew Sammy Watkins on a fade pattern, then had Evan Rodriguez drop a pass across the middle. Manuel scrambled on his third play, and Watkins dropped a would-be touchdown on the final play. Not the best series. In an 11-on-11 red zone drill earlier in practice, Manuel overthrew Watkins on one play and was picked off by safety Jajuan Harley in the end zone on another before finding Robert Woods (twice) and Chris Gragg on touchdowns.
  • The Bills offense was all over the map in red zone work. On the plus side, Manuel hit Mike Williams for a touchdown in 7-on-7 and lofted two well-thrown passes to Sammy Watkins and Scott Chandler that were either dropped or broken up. Jeff Tuel followed with a touchdowns to Lee Smith and Chris Gragg, as well as a beautiful one-handed grab by Woods in the end zone. On the negative end, Manuel badly overthrew Williams on a broken play where Williams was open in the end zone. On the next play, Manuel scrambled in the backfield and tried forcing a ball into coverage. He was intercepted by first-year safety Jajuan Harley.

I mean you realize we can watch their practices, right? you don't have to guarantee it. Here are some recaps. Note: EJ does his best work on 7vs7 (subnote: football is played 11v11):

• The results of the red zone work were mixed. EJ Manuel's first six reps came in a nine-on-nine drill where there was a half-offensive line on the right side. We scratched our head when Manuel was pressured from the right side, tucked the ball, and scrambled to the left. Doug Marrone has previously emphasized the point of the seven-on-seven drill (or its cousin, the nine-on-nine drill) is to throw the ball downfield, so scrambling to the side of the field with no offensive or defensive linemen -- by design -- is a questionable decision. In 11-on-11 red zone work, Manuel was sacked on two of his first four reps and didn't record a touchdown in any of his seven total reps in that period. In the final seven-on-seven series, Manuel's first two passes didn't score points but he finished on a strong note, hitting Lee Smith and Mike Williams for back-to-back touchdowns.

• There was a heavy emphasis on the red zone in Wednesday's practice. The results weren't spectacular. In his second set of 11-on-11 reps, Manuel was sacked on his first two plays. The second play featured Manny Lawson pulling up in front of Manuel (no contact is allowed on quarterbacks) and standing there as Manuel continued to move his feet and read the defense for another second or two. It was an odd sight. Manuel found Lee Smith on the next play for a touchdown, one of just two we logged for Manuel in red zone drills. Some of Manuel's past problems cropped up Tuesday night, as he appeared to hold the ball too long on some plays while making questionable decisions (e.g. targeting Scott Chandler in double coverage in the end zone) on others. Overall, it was one of Manuel's poorer practices of camp.
  • Following the two-minute drill, the Bills closed out their practice with a 7-on-7 drill in the red zone, as they've done for most of camp. Manuel overthrew Sammy Watkins on a fade pattern, then had Evan Rodriguez drop a pass across the middle. Manuel scrambled on his third play, and Watkins dropped a would-be touchdown on the final play. Not the best series. In an 11-on-11 red zone drill earlier in practice, Manuel overthrew Watkins on one play and was picked off by safety Jajuan Harley in the end zone on another before finding Robert Woods (twice) and Chris Gragg on touchdowns.
  • The Bills offense was all over the map in red zone work. On the plus side, Manuel hit Mike Williams for a touchdown in 7-on-7 and lofted two well-thrown passes to Sammy Watkins and Scott Chandler that were either dropped or broken up. Jeff Tuel followed with a touchdowns to Lee Smith and Chris Gragg, as well as a beautiful one-handed grab by Woods in the end zone. On the negative end, Manuel badly overthrew Williams on a broken play where Williams was open in the end zone. On the next play, Manuel scrambled in the backfield and tried forcing a ball into coverage. He was intercepted by first-year safety Jajuan Harley.

Sounds like Manuel should orchestrate the drive, then we can sub in Tuel for the Red Zone.