Who's Zoomin' Who?

POTUS accuses some US companies of "gaming the system" with their financial machinations overseas.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/obama-companies-game-system-not-playing-fair-taxes-n164281

Should that same phrase be applied to POTUS' "I've got a pen and a telephone" tactic of end-running the legislative process? Does the current administration really think the electorate is so stupid as to be unable to carry (and apply) concepts from one issue to the next?

Jesus (read Hey-Soos), POTUS is just butt stupid!

Was it suggested to you that you should be outraged before you watched the clip? It doesn't seem so infuriating to me.

It seems to me that he made some reasonable statements about corporate tax reform, something both parties say they would like to accomplish

Was it suggested to you that you should be outraged before you watched the clip? It doesn't seem so infuriating to me.

It seems to me that he made some reasonable statements about corporate tax reform, something both parties say they would like to accomplish

What do you believe to be the benefits of making it more expensive to do business in America?

At the heart of these US companies moving abroad it is really the disassociation of corporations from countries - multi-nationals. It used to be pretty easy to tell the home country of a company but not so easy anymore. Is it their corporate headquarters, where they have the most employees, or their biggest market going forward, or where is their home?

Maximize shareholder value is the corporate mantra. That means whenever possible and where it makes business sense, cut costs. If possible, reduce taxes, as long as attempting to do so does not cause a backlash, 'like a 'Buy American' movement. Since lately it is not at all uncommon and the threat of backlash is minimal, save that corporate cash. Move your headquarters to a place with lower taxes, like Switzerland or Ireland. These countries have an inordinate number of corporate headquarters for only one reason - tax rates. So, yeah, maybe it is time to do something about our corporate tax system

Edited by Bob in Mich

Is money treated well there?

You didn't say treated well. You said treated best. It may be treated better than other parts of CA but it's not treated the best. There are other parts of the country with much better incentives but they don't have the talent.

Outraged? Not any more; I've witnessed the double speak of this administration so often I see it as an every day occurrence. And it's not the specific issue used to illustrate my point; I understand the economic advantages to corporations. I don't like the concept of if I do it, it's OK; if you do it, it ain't. Or, more specifically, if Democrats do/say it, OK; if Republicans do the same thing - outrage.

Admittedly, most administrations appear to change horses in mid-stream on a lot of issues, but many do seek at least the appearance of rationale for the shift. Not this one; POTUS appears to relish flying in the face of the electorate with nary a care. Rolled up sleeves, loosened tie, and late night shuck and jive seem just a bit out of place in the context of economic recession, foreign policy disasters, loss of public confidence, and an immigration policy vacuum.

But, hey, that's just me....

Outraged? Not any more; I've witnessed the double speak of this administration so often I see it as an every day occurrence. And it's not the specific issue used to illustrate my point; I understand the economic advantages to corporations. I don't like the concept of if I do it, it's OK; if you do it, it ain't. Or, more specifically, if Democrats do/say it, OK; if Republicans do the same thing - outrage.

Admittedly, most administrations appear to change horses in mid-stream on a lot of issues, but many do seek at least the appearance of rationale for the shift. Not this one; POTUS appears to relish flying in the face of the electorate with nary a care. Rolled up sleeves, loosened tie, and late night shuck and jive seem just a bit out of place in the context of economic recession, foreign policy disasters, loss of public confidence, and an immigration policy vacuum.

But, hey, that's just me....

You mean like Bush doing bupkis when Russia invaded Georgia, with nary a peep from conservatives, but massive rightwing outrage over Obama's handling of the Ukraine? It works two ways, you see (or maybe you don't--this era seems to have produced more than its share of self-blind conservatives).....

You mean like Bush doing bupkis when Russia invaded Georgia, with nary a peep from conservatives, but massive rightwing outrage over Obama's handling of the Ukraine? It works two ways, you see (or maybe you don't--this era seems to have produced more than its share of self-blind conservatives).....

If you took umbrage at Bush's lack of action regarding Georgia, permit me to do the same in today's Ukraine. I don't recall whether or not Bush was fund raising during the Georgia crisis, do you? So, actually, it doesn't work two ways; it works the same way...and I didn't even have to be half blind to see it.

Perhaps the U.S. should ask itself if its uncompetitive corporate tax rate is the reason for the situation...

The problem isn't that the US doesn't have a competitive corporate tax rate. The problem is that corporations are un-American by taking advantage of the very tax loopholes put in place by the elected officials who were put in office by the large corporations.

If large corporations would just stop being un-American, everything would be fine.

You know what's going to suck for people like you the next time we have a Republican president? The number of times you'll subject yourself to countless sentences that will start with the words "Where was your outrage when Obama ..."

Because it will be coming in droves.

It is not so much 'un-American' as not really American. Companies are global entities now, including lots of companies that got their start in the USA. Many have markets, factories, and offices worldwide.

I certainly don't want any large scale wars to break out any time soon, but it would be interesting to see how these multi-national companies aligned themselves if say the US and China began fighting. Certainly GM operations in China would not be permitted to help the US if war broke out.