New NYC building: Separate entrances for rich and poor tenants

the comments were even better than the article. I enjoyed this bit:

'The better question is, should the government have any right to tell developers that they MUST build cheap housing?'

' No one is saying that they must. What the ordinance means is that developers CAN build larger properties if they include affordable housing as part of the project'

the comments were even better than the article. I enjoyed this bit:

'The better question is, should the government have any right to tell developers that they MUST build cheap housing?'

' No one is saying that they must. What the ordinance means is that developers CAN build larger properties if they include affordable housing as part of the project'

What does the the word "must" usually mean? :lol: What does a developer do for a job? Answer: Develop. And, if he wants to keep his job, he looks to develop larger properties, small properties, all properties, any properties. The small stuff covers the overhead his business incurs, the big stuff is how he pays himself/his best people. So, in order to his job, yes, a developer MUST build affordable housing. The only alternative? A developer doesn't do his job. He goes out of business.

That is known as: logic.

The bolded above is another example of leftist anti-logic. Anti-logic: the exact opposite of logic, substituted for logic by those whose emotional deficiencies/hangups make dealing with actual logic untenable. Fox Butterfield is the example I use all the time.

I truly believe anti-logic is the root cause of most the failure of leftist thought-->policy.

The worst/best? I honestly don't believe that this commenter realizes he's just tried to sell anti-logic. :doh: I'd like to believe that most of left is simply confused, because they don't have the experience/didactic preparation to deal with problems logically-->properly, and simply arrive at anti-logic, like the above, by accident. Example: the commenter above doesn't have any experience with development, so, he doesn't realize that a developer MUST develop larger properties, smaller properties, any and all properties, to survive.

I'd like to believe that they don't resort to anti-logic intentionally.

But, I don't believe that. I believe that anti-logic has become so pervasive for the left, that at least some of its propagation had to be intentional. And, anti-logic is much easier to deal with than logic. It's convenient as hell, and best of all, it doesn't require thought, or familiarity with the dictionary.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Based on this quote from the article it sounds like they are two separate buildings that would have two separate enterances. Not sure what a "building segment" is. As I mentioned we're missing a boatload of info on this and it's a crappy written article.

The development will have 219 units overlooking the waterfront and 55 affordable units in a “building segment” facing the street.

Based on this quote from the article it sounds like they are two separate buildings that would have two separate enterances. Not sure what a "building segment" is. As I mentioned we're missing a boatload of info on this and it's a crappy written article.

It's a single structure built with an internal partition, such that it meets the city's building requirements, yet is still a desirable property for the types who would want to drop huge amounts of coin to live in a high rise condo in NYC.

Further, why in the world would any developer essentially give away his "vista views" to section 8's? He needs those to sell. Of course the section 8's get the street view.

Umm, life is not fair, some people work harder than others and earn it, too freaking bad.

Now hurry up and have the special line at the grocery where the EBT users can buy soda and already prepared expensive food, and ridiculous other items.

Umm, life is not fair, some people work harder than others and earn it, too freaking bad.

Now hurry up and have the special line at the grocery where the EBT users can buy soda and already prepared expensive food, and ridiculous other items.

Lottery, don't forget the lottery.

We have differential seating on planes, VIP sections in clubs, etc.

How is this any different?

Airlines aren't forced to provide affordable seating for the great unwashed. I know that's not what you're talking about BTW.

SF has been doing this for awhile. Very dumb idea.

Is it bad that I think it's a good idea?

I mean, if you're paying for a high-end condo, would YOU want to be slumming it every time you walk in the front door?

+1

I can't really understand how anyone would have an issue with this.