Is there something to be said about hometown...

When you are a good boss (like Whaley is), the first layer in the foundation is having people that want to be there. A true 100% from someone who is passionate about wanting to be there is worth way more than a so so effort from a superstar.

It's all good and fun, but with all due respect...those three combined won't have half the impact Lebron has on his team and community.

And as far as Patrick Kane, after seeing this...there's no doubt in my mind that if Chicago starts to slip, he demands a trade "home," especially if they end up with McDavid. And as we have seen in all sports, these teams cannot stay good forever...it goes in cycles...the good will be bad and the bad will be good.

The Bills have been due for about 10 years then.

Kane to Buffalo would be some what comparable to LeBron going back to Cleveland. Still no athlete is on par with LeBron at this time. ESPN seemingly had a 24 hour LeBron watch for a week.

Was Sammy really a "huge Bills fan," or did he just like the Bills for a short period of time? I've heard the interviews, and it sounds like he was into the Bills during the Bledsoe/Peerless Price years.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but was he really that big of a fan?

SW was rooting for the Bills as you stated during those years. Well, living in FL, Ft. Myers residents usually are Dolphins or Bucs fans. During that time, the Buccs were a top 5 or 10 defense for almost a decade between the late 90's to 2005 or so. They also had Keyshawn at the time. I think it's great he was a fan.

When you are a good boss (like Whaley is), the first layer in the foundation is having people that want to be there. A true 100% from someone who is passionate about wanting to be there is worth way more than a so so effort from a superstar.

There was a book we were required to read regarding managing people at my job a few years ago, and there was an entire chapter dedicated to just that...can't remember the name of it but it was an excellent book.

Basically he said that getting the wrong people off the bus is just as important if not more important than getting the right people on the bus...

People who love the city and the team are going to be more invested and work harder than those who don't and view it as their job, and especially more than those who really don't want to be here...its just human nature.

Edited by matter2003

Thanks LV for starting this topic!! As someone that has relocated from WNY I often feel that same gravitational pull back home. There was something about that LeBron letter that was so endearing, so genuine, so mature and so relatable. How many times have we talked about on here how important the Bills are to WNY?

People on the outside just don't get it. It isn't just a team that we cheer for it is a part of our identity. They legitimize us in a very similar manner to the Cavs in Cleveland (or the Browns, Sabres, Tribe). The rust belt has been downtrodden for decades and to outsiders they say "move on." He said no. What LeBron just did was stand up for those areas. He is not going to let his hometown die; he is going to do his best to revitalize it. One of the biggest stars in the entire world just moved from Miami to Akron!! That is a victory for people like us. A victory for the little guy. I found it very inspiring. Well done, King James and best of luck heading home.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Thanks LV for starting this topic!! As someone that has relocated from WNY I often feel that same gravitational pull back home. There was something about that LeBron letter that was so endearing, so genuine, so mature and so relatable. How many times have we talked about on here how important the Bills are to WNY?

People on the outside just don't get it. It isn't just a team that we route for it is a part of our identity. They legitimize us in a very similar manner to the Cavs in Cleveland (or the Browns, Sabres, Tribe). The rust belt has been downtrodden for decades and to outsiders they say "move on." He said no. What LeBron just did was stand up for those areas. He is not going to let his hometown die; he is going to do his best to revitalize it. One of the biggest stars in the entire world just moved from Miami to Akron!! That is a victory for people like us. A victory for the little guy. I found it very inspiring. Well done, King James and best of luck heading home.

Couldn't of said it better myself. You hit it right on the head nice work.

People on the outside just don't get it. It isn't just a team that we route for it is a part of our identity. They legitimize us in a very similar manner to the Cavs in Cleveland (or the Browns, Sabres, Tribe). The rust belt has been downtrodden for decades and to outsiders they say "move on." He said no. What LeBron just did was stand up for those areas. He is not going to let his hometown die; he is going to do his best to revitalize it. One of the biggest stars in the entire world just moved from Miami to Akron!! That is a victory for people like us. A victory for the little guy. I found it very inspiring. Well done, King James and best of luck heading home.

absolutely, I said something very similar in the LJ returns thread now on OTW. Also don't discount the positive effect this has on OSU recruiting. He is a huge booster and fan, roaming the sidelines of the big night games where recruits get to rub elbows with him and has his own locker in the bball locker room because he donated a ton of money to the program despite not having actually gone there.

IMO, Whaley and Marrone are trying to build a family and develop a winning attitude by players having each others back and representing Buffalo well.

Its not by chance that there are many New York connections. We can clearly say the attitude towards the Bills have changed since Marrone took over. Enjoy the ride folks, Weve suffered long enough and soon we will see some Playoff football.

Mark80 - was thinking the exact same thing.....so who is/was the best football player ever to come out of WNY? Bill Bergy? Gronkowski? Ron Jaworski? The Dombrowski kid from Williamsville (back in the 70's - may have the last name wrong)?

WNY may not have a lot of NFL players that call it home, but it has produces several coaches and FO executives. Off the top of my head - Mark Murphy, Tom Telesco, Chris Polian, Dave Caldwell, Brian Daboll, Kyle Smith. Also, Brian Polian is the head coach at U of Nevada.

You might be overstating it just a tad. It is a great contract for him. Big bucks and only a 2 year contract, and he can opt out after the first year.

You might be overstating it just a tad. It is a great contract for him. Big bucks and only a 2 year contract, and he can opt out after the first year.

Am I overstating it? He isn't going anywhere he is just waiting for the TV contract to kick in and the max contract will increase by an estimated $10M. Money wasn't a factor at all because he would have gotten the same with every single team. It wasn't a Bosh type of move where he took the $. The opt out is just about keeping the power and holding the team accountable.

On the Heels of Lebrons decision of going back home, does TSW think that maybe Whaley had some foresight with bringing in a few hometown kids (Graham,Williams etc) We all know that Places like Buffalo and Cleveland are not understood by people who are not from the area or who have never experienced how passionate Buffalo fans are. Time will tell how much impact it will have to have kids playing for their hometown team but IMHO there's nothing like cheering for kids who bleed Bills red white and blue. Just ask any Caves fan today how they feel.....thoughts?

LV

There is something special for the player and the organization when it comes to home town scenarios. Lebrons situation is no different, he happens to be high profile is all.

As for understanding an area, a city or a region, I don't buy in to that. Fans passion has little to do with a players decision to come here, it's either money or the caliber of team in almost every case.

Personally, I don't care if they are from Buffalo or Timbucktoo, as long as they give their all on the field and work hard to maintain that competitive edge, that is what interest me.