EJ dependent on Watkins or Watkins dependent on EJ?

boyst

We like Polls. Polls are fun. Mrags should always stay.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which is MORE true:

• In order for EJ Manuel to have a successful season Sammy Watkins must have a successful season.
    • In order for Sammy Watkins to have a successful season EJ Manuel must have a successful season.
    • The are codependent and must both be successful before either will successful.

In my random musings while thinking about how much I miss Beerball I got to thinking...

Is there any possible way Sammy Watkins can have a successful season without EJ Manuel performing successfully?

The first thought came to mind is that EJ Manuel misses time and Watkins then rises up in that time to a higher level. Then, I got to thinking: Many here thought Stevie Johnson was very successful despite having lackluster QB's tossing him the football. Eric Moulds and Lee Evans also overcame poor[er] QB's. Could that happen with Watkins? Could he become so magnanimous to let any QB effect his play?

What about EJ Manuel? Could he just play at a level good enough, maybe slightly better then last year, and still finish the year without Sammy Watkins being a significant factor? If Chandler leads us in catches, if Mike Wiliams leads us in YAC, Robert Woods leads us in yards, well, where would Watkins fit in?

Is it possible that Manuel could be successful in 2014 without Sammy Watkins leading a receiving stat?

It must certainly be accepted that without a QB capable of throwing the ball at all a catcher cannot catch. But, with everyone we have running down field, how many times will Watkins find himself targeted and then thrown to?

The more I think about it, the more I think we may have some struggles from our young WR.

In my random musings while thinking about how much I miss Beerball I got to thinking...

Is there any possible way Sammy Watkins can have a successful season without EJ Manuel performing successfully?

The first thought came to mind is that EJ Manuel misses time and Watkins then rises up in that time to a higher level. Then, I got to thinking: Many here thought Stevie Johnson was very successful despite having lackluster QB's tossing him the football. Eric Moulds and Lee Evans also overcame poor[er] QB's. Could that happen with Watkins? Could he become so magnanimous to let any QB effect his play?

What about EJ Manuel? Could he just play at a level good enough, maybe slightly better then last year, and still finish the year without Sammy Watkins being a significant factor? If Chandler leads us in catches, if Mike Wiliams leads us in YAC, Robert Woods leads us in yards, well, where would Watkins fit in?

Is it possible that Manuel could be successful in 2014 without Sammy Watkins leading a receiving stat?

It must certainly be accepted that without a QB capable of throwing the ball at all a catcher cannot catch. But, with everyone we have running down field, how many times will Watkins find himself targeted and then thrown to?

The more I think about it, the more I think we may have some struggles from our young WR.

I think Robert Woods will be our best WR statistically this year. Sammy can do many things, but the Woods/EJ connection is already established.

Thus, I reject your poll and substitute my own.

I think Robert Woods will be our best WR statistically this year. Sammy can do many things, but the Woods/EJ connection is already established.

Thus, I reject your poll and substitute my own.

I do not deny nor ignore your suggestion of Mr Robert Woods but I am hoping we all let this guy disappear in our minds to blow it up week 1.

Robert Woods will have 100 yards catching against Chicago.

Sammy succeeding without EJ is the more likely scenario. He is the more gifted football player. If EJ is successful Watkins will be playing a role. Cordarelle Patterson showed flashes last year with BAD QB play. Sammy can score from anywhere on the field as well and is a more refined route runner than Patterson.

I'd have gone with a 4th option......in that either player can have a successful season independently of the other.

I can foresee the scenario where EJ has improved(thus being somewhat successful) and Sammy has a difficult time adjusting to the NFL........and I can also foresee the scenario where EJ still struggles(throws picks, gets sacked, timing regularly off etc), but Sammy maximizes his oportunities, makes plays independently and generally succeeds as a rookie.

Is it, though?

Which is more likely?

Sammy Watkins succeeding without EJ Manuel?

EJ Manuel succeeding without Sammy Watkins?

Thank you for breaking it down for me...

I think EJ can succeed without Sammy...

Sammy is probably more dependent on on EJ...

Watkins needs Manuel unless you want all of his success to come in the return game. A WR requires a QB to get them the ball.

Not necessarily, Andre Johnson had a great year last year with bad QB play. I referenced Patterson earlier and Fitzgerald has done it for years. The best example is Josh Gordon. He had over 1,600 yards last year (in 14 games I believe) to lead the league. His QBs were Hoyer, Weeden and Campbell.

Obviously it helps if the QB plays well but it isn't a necessity.

Not necessarily, Andre Johnson had a great year last year with bad QB play. I referenced Patterson earlier and Fitzgerald has done it for years. The best example is Josh Gordon. He had over 1,600 yards last year (in 14 games I believe) to lead the league. His QBs were Hoyer, Weeden and Campbell.

Obviously it helps if the QB plays well but it isn't a necessity.

I didn't say he needs Manuel to be good, I said he needs Manuel (or whatever QB) to get him the ball. (unless you want to go back to some old time football formations)

WR's are dependent on a QB getting them the ball.

I didn't say he needs Manuel to be good, I said he needs Manuel (or whatever QB) to get him the ball. (unless you want to go back to some old time football formations)

WR's are dependent on a QB getting them the ball.

Ha ha, got it. I have seen a lot of people saying that Watkins can't be good unless EJ is good. That just isn't true as evidenced by the above list. I apologize for lumping you in with that crew.

Ha ha, got it. I have seen a lot of people saying that Watkins can't be good unless EJ is good. That just isn't true as evidenced by the above list. I apologize for lumping you in with that crew.

Not a problem. If Watkins can carve out those WR screens in the NFL (2-3 times/game) it won't take good QBing to get him the ball. Connect on some intermediate passes, a long one once in a while...

I'm hopeful.

I say none of the above. I think both can be successful independent of each other. EJ's success, IMO, will be based on Wins. We can win without Sammy being "successful" (however one would measure that) this year. Also, Sammy could have a monster year and the Bills could still lose or EJ could turn the ball over, etc. EJ has a lot of WRs to spread the ball out to and the Bills wants to run the ball a ton, so Sammy's #s may be not huge yet the team could still win. BTW his presence on the field will help regardless of whether he gets the ball because the D has to game plan for him. His numbers could be misleading when deciding on his "success" at the end of the year.

Yep, I have mentioned this in the past that I think Boyd is a poor man's EJ. Sammy was able to catch Boyd's passes which were anything but perfect.

Over 50% of those passes were at or behind the LOS. While they'll try those from time to time I doubt he makes a living on those in the NFL. He must evolve and his QB must be able to get him the ball.

Over 50% of those passes were at or behind the LOS. While they'll try those from time to time I doubt he makes a living on those in the NFL. He must evolve and his QB must be able to get him the ball.

You're talking about his junior year when he got a 10 yard cushion because he had already proved in his freshman year that he can't be pressed and will roast DBs anywhere down the field.

His freshman year highlights are a better indication of his all around skill set than the 2013 bubble screen highlights that seem so ubiquitous now.

I agree it's unlikely that he'll make a living off those types of plays right off the bat, but Julio, AJ Green, and Megatron all catch most of their balls near the the line of scrimmage. Why? They get the same cushion that Sammy got last year. If they give you 5-7 yards each time because they're scared of getting burned downfield- you take it every time.

Once Sammy proves he can take the top off of an NFL defense, he'll get back to catching those short throws we saw so much of at Clemson last year.

Edited by uncle flap