Which NFL team has the worst QB situation going into 2014?

Which team has the worst QB situation?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has the worst QB situation?

• NY Jets (Vick/Geno)
    • Bills (EJ/Thad)
    • Cleveland (Johnny/Hoyer)
    • Tennessee (Locker/Whitehurst/Mettenberger)
    • Houston (Fitz/Keenum/Yates/Savage)
    • Jax (Bortles/Henne)
    • Raiders (Schaub/Carr)
    • Minnesota (Bridgewater/Ponder/Cassell)
    • TB (Glennon/McCown)
    • St. Louis (Bradford/Shaun Hill/Garrett Gilbert)

Has everyone forgotten FITZ can't make an accurate throw over 15 yards so they stack the box. I like the guy as a person, but he's nothing more than a decent back up.

Andre Johnson is getting older and slower, and is now holding out to go somewhere else. There is no way they come out ok, but Clowney could be a good pick. I'm still surprised in a 3-4 why they pick him unless they really feel Mack was not up to the hype. He would have been perfect in a 3-4.

Interesting take on Fitz: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11075488/houston-texans-name-ryan-fitzpatrick-starting-quarterback-now

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, The love for Thad in this town, I think is infounded, similarily, the hate for Tuel is also unfounded.

I actually like Tuel better as a prospect. Until, "the throw" vs. KC, i thought he moved the team better than any Bills QB last year.

Sure, it wasn't great, or maybe even good, but it didn't have to be, to be our best from last year.

I think he got the ball out to the right guy faster than the other two..... Tuel's arm still scares me, but I think he is a decent prospect; a good guy to have as your third-stringer especially because he too, enters his second season as a Bill in this offense.

I give EJ more of a bump entering his second year, because he works hard, sez all the right things, and has the skills needed to play at the ralph.

I do think we have a little more than just EJ though..... Thad did surprise me in the last game of the season, so even though I think he is over-rated in Buffalo, I think his game might surprise me again.

EJ's inaccuracies do raise my eye brow a little, but I also understand he is a raw piece of clay that has come a long way, but still has a long way to go before, the way they want him to play, becomes second nature.

Lastly, I am one of the few that was glad to see Tuel buffed-up coming to camp. Maybe his arm is a little stronger but surely, he will be less prone to injury and things of that nature.

I don't know who has the worst set of QBs; but I can tell you who has the best team to, "grow" a great NFL QB. That would be Buffalo...

Go Bills!

Thoughtful post Man !

Tuel has some zip on the ball. his issue is more happy feet than his arm. Experience will help that.

The Vick thing with the Jets seems unstable . Because they are within the division i am going to watch that unfold

Funny poll.

The inherent message, and usual Bills battling cry: hey, we're not the worst at (insert position here)...woohoo!

Not the intention but that is how it looks. It was a spin-off of another thread. I would not have included the Bills on this poll if it wasn't an assertion elsewhere that it was the case. I don't think we are in a bad QB situation, at this point. Hopefully I'm right!

Just looking at Tampa's QB line up makes me want to vomit if I was their coach. But Houston is a very close second. While Fitz is not a stellar QB, he can be serviceable if the Houston O line holds up. If Fitz was not on the team, I would put them ahead of TB in the bad QB line up.

BigPappy

Just looking at Tampa's QB line up makes me want to vomit if I was their coach. But Houston is a very close second. While Fitz is not a stellar QB, he can be serviceable if the Houston O line holds up. If Fitz was not on the team, I would put them ahead of TB in the bad QB line up.

BigPappy

Agree...I like TB's WRs but I would be cautious about assuming McCown is going to light it up like he did for a few games last year with the Bears. He is a 34 yr old journeyman who was never good enough to be starter until he got with the "QB whisperer" Trestman in Chi and their awesome WR set. He could continue his resurgence or be another Fitzy. I believe they plan on starting him with Glennon as the backup but haven't looked at TB enough to know that for sure. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Jets: Geno Smith is likely a bust. Vick gives them a decent stopgap; but is too old to be a long-term solution.
  • Bills: Manuel is also likely a bust. But for now the Bills' front office seems committed to him. The Jets will probably draft a replacement for Geno before the Bills draft a replacement for EJ. This means the Jets may fix their QB problems before we fix ours.
  • Cleveland: I've seen maturity and motivation concerns raised regarding Manziel. I personally would have been very cautious about using a first round pick on him. But if I had a 100% guarantee about his maturity and passion for the game, I'd be very intrigued by him as a QB prospect.
  • Tennessee: Locker may develop into a decent starting QB.
  • Houston: nobody in particular at QB. But at least Houston's front office is hopefully smart enough to realize that, and open to making a move at the first good opportunity.
  • Jacksonville: a top-10 pick was recently used on Bortles. Time will tell if that was worthwhile.
  • Raiders: Schaub may not be the player he once was, but should be good enough to get them by for now.
  • Minnesota: Ponder has sometimes shown signs of being a Drew Brees story. For long periods he let his team down. But then, just when everyone was ready to give up on him, he'd show flashes of being the player they'd hoped he'd become. If he ultimately fails, they always have Bridgewater waiting in the wings.
  • Tampa Bay: Glennon had a better rookie year than EJ; and seemed like a more polished player. I suspect he will go on to have the better overall career. Glennon isn't the next Manning or Brady, but he might be the next Neil O'Donnell.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

• Jets: Geno Smith is likely a bust. Vick gives them a decent stopgap; but is too old to be a long-term solution.
  • Bills: Manuel is also likely a bust. But for now the Bills' front office seems committed to him. The Jets will probably draft a replacement for Geno before the Bills draft a replacement for EJ. This means the Jets may fix their QB problems before we fix ours.
  • Cleveland: I've seen maturity and motivation concerns raised regarding Manziel. I personally would have been very cautious about using a first round pick on him. But if I had a 100% guarantee about his maturity and passion for the game, I'd be very intrigued by him as a QB prospect.
  • Houston: nobody in particular at QB. But at least Houston's front office is hopefully smart enough to realize that, and open to making a move at the first good opportunity.
  • Jacksonville: a top-10 pick was recently used on Bortles. Time will tell if that was worthwhile.
  • Raiders: Schaub may not be the player he once was, but should be good enough to get them by for now.
  • Minnesota: Ponder has sometimes shown signs of being a Drew Brees story. For long periods he let his team down. But then, just when everyone was ready to give up on him, he'd show flashes of being the player they'd hoped he'd become. If he ultimately fails, they always have Bridgewater waiting in the wings.
  • Tampa Bay: Glennon had a better rookie year than EJ; and seemed like a more polished player. I suspect he will go on to have the better overall career. Glennon isn't the next Manning or Brady, but he might be the next Neil O'Donnell.

Nice breakdown. Just curious though... why you think EJ and Geno are likely busts after less than 1 season, but Locker after 3 seasons could still develop into a starter (even though his own team doesn't believe that otherwise they would have picked up his 5th yr option based on what QBs are now getting)?

My view on this subject is pretty simple. Several of these teams have rookies that haven't taken a snap in the NFL. To say their QB situation is good or bad is quite frankly premature. We can't say one way or the other whether Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater will be good or bad. As for the other QB's on those respective teams, we can say they're bad. We know exactly what they did when given the opportunity to be "the guy". Squat. Nada. Now let's talk about the veterans. The best of that group has to be Schaub. He's shown the ability to do it with just one weapon on his team. Fitzpatrick and Locker have been nothing but average. Don't try to sell the idea of "potential" when it's been only that for years. It's a bad sell that I'm just not buying. That leaves us with 3 guys that don't have a lot of experience. EJ, Smith and Glennon. Glennon showed us something last year and put up ridiculous numbers. 19 TD's to 9 INT's should speak for itself. EJ was up and down last year, but for the most part an average game manager. Geno Smith was atrocious. The Jets better hope that Vick finds a fountain of youth, because they're not going anywhere with Geno Smith under center. Vick is an inaccurate passer. Has been his whole career. Can he still get it done with his legs? I have my doubts. So my ranking from worst to best would look like this:

Houston - I can't believe someone took another shot at Fitzpatrick. To say it's a failure out of the gates is an understatement.

Tennessee - At least Jake Locker has an arm, or I would have called him a tie with Houston.

NY Jets - Vick could have an OK year, but doubt it. Geno Smith was a train wreck last season.

Buffalo - This is truly a make or break year for EJ. Another injury and I think he would be out unless he really progresses.

Tampa Bay - Glennon has limited starts or I would have him higher. He could be THAT good.

Oakland - Last year was one bad season, but look at his body of work. 130 TD's to 84 INT's isn't bad.

Cleveland/Jacksonville/Minnesota - I give these guys incompletes because we're really talking about rookies. If you grade them based on the guys that are behind them, then I put them between Tennessee and the Jets. Hoyer, Henne and Ponder don't exactly scare anyone.

Nice breakdown. Just curious though... why you think EJ and Geno are likely busts after less than 1 season, but Locker after 3 seasons could still develop into a starter (even though his own team doesn't believe that otherwise they would have picked up his 5th yr option based on what QBs are now getting)?

YoloinOhio,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

BigPappy

How could we forget St Louis on this list! 50 mill guaranteed and no playoffs going into Bradford's 5th yr! 2nd pick in the draft and.... nada.

I would add Baltimore too. Joe Flacco hasn't been anything but average his entire career. Sure he's been on a team to win a Superbowl, but he's been nothing more than a game manager. None the less, I think you hit the nail on the head on Bradford.

YoloinOhio,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

BigPappy

Because EJ sucks, duh. :rolleyes:

I would add Baltimore too. Joe Flacco hasn't been anything but average his entire career. Sure he's been on a team to win a Superbowl, but he's been nothing more than a game manager. None the less, I think you hit the nail on the head on Bradford.

While I like Flacco because he has been a big-game QB and taken his team to the playoffs each year except for last, and seems to be able to avoid injury, his contract could now hamstring them against making another one. They really need their running game and OL to get better or Flacco really can look average.

Houston has got to be the worst, I don't think theres many Bills fans that would trade QB rosters with them so theres no way the Bills are the worst...and I'm among the most serious of EJ doubters. Honestly, the only roster I would swap with would be Cleveland...Hoyer showed more than EJ did in a shorter time and J. Football has more upside than either of our guys.

Hoyer has been in the league a lot longer than EJ. He played fewer games last year, so if you mean he looked better in the two games than EJ did in the 10 games I am not sure. He threw 3 picks against the Vikings. Coming off of a torn ACL, he isn't even a full practice participant yet... and Manziel as a total question mark... I am amazed you would say this. I mean, I have high hopes for Hoyer but also a realist that he really has a tiny sample size.

Hoyer has been in the league a lot longer than EJ. He played fewer games last year, so if you mean he looked better in the two games than EJ did in the 10 games I am not sure. He threw 3 picks against the Vikings. Coming off of a torn ACL, he isn't even a full practice participant yet... and Manziel as a total question mark... I am amazed you would say this. I mean, I have high hopes for Hoyer but also a realist that he really has a tiny sample size.

I get the impression that most Bills fans already think EJ is the worst QB in the league.

Houston has got to be the worst, I don't think theres many Bills fans that would trade QB rosters with them so theres no way the Bills are the worst...and I'm among the most serious of EJ doubters. Honestly, the only roster I would swap with would be Cleveland...Hoyer showed more than EJ did in a shorter time and J. Football has more upside than either of our guys.

Hoyer played in 2 games last year (he only played about 2 series of the Bills game). His better game of the 2 was against the Bengals at home. He threw for 269 and 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Thad Lewis threw for 216 and 2 TDs plus ran for a TD, and 0 INTs against the same Bengals team. Thad also had a long completing to Goodwin called back that should have been a 1st down that they ruled a drop but it clearly was caught. The difference in those two games is the Browns gave up 6 pts and the Bills gave up 27. I know you are comparing Hoyer to EJ but I don't even think he is better than Thad. Edited by YoloinOhio