Help us Obi John Wawrow, you're our only hope

Self-preservation if nothing else should influence Marrone to stop playing with fire... Or should I say FIRED. Which is EXACTLY what he will be if Sammy gets hurt doing something he shouldn't.

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please explain to me how they believe Sammy and CJ are at more of a risk for injury catching kickoffs or punts and running against air during practice sessions than they are when running their plays on offense. I don't understand.

Someone please explain to me how they believe Sammy and CJ are at more of a risk for injury catching kickoffs or punts and running against air during practice sessions than they are when running their plays on offense. I don't understand.

Personally I don't "care" what they do in practice. My desire is to never see Watkins return a meaningful kick or punt.

I don't think it is the threat of injury in practice that is concerning, but the fact that they are being given those reps and therefore that possibility of them being put out there to return kicks in games. But I think Goodwin at KR and Leo at PR will be the first options. We just need to block for them.

I don't think it is the threat of injury in practice that is concerning, but the fact that they are being given those reps and therefore that possibility of them being put out there to return kicks in games. But I think Goodwin at KR and Leo at PR will be the first options. We just need to block for them.

Well, since Goodwin and Leo are both frequently suffering from "ouchies" making sure there are competent replacements available is hardly what I'd call "the height of insanity."

Someone else mentioned getting the ball into your playmakers' hands as much as possible. Goodwin and Leo are definitely playmakers in the return game, but in their absence I don't have a problem with giving Watkins and CJ opportunities.

This brings up another question -- how frequently are kick returners injured while returning kicks? Is it more or less than regular position players? I think it's a valid question when we're implying Watkins or CJ would be "more at risk" if they return a kick in a game.

Good ST coaches cannot coach scrubs to become good STs.

it's hard to make chicken salad from chicken poop, but good coaches can at least make it edible. crossman made it worse. the teams he coached in carolina and detroit were mediocre at best -- and usually just bad -- so buffalo's performance last year was par for the course. i'm with the crew that believes the only thing keeping crossman in the nfl is his friendship with marrone (since it certainly ain't his ability to coach 'em up).

Well, since Goodwin and Leo are both frequently suffering from "ouchies" making sure there are competent replacements available is hardly what I'd call "the height of insanity."

As you can read in my reply to your question just one post above the one you quoted...I don't "care" about practice. The height of insanity IMO would be for Watkins to ever return a meaningful punt or kick in the 2014 season for the Bills.

It's all about risk/reward. To me the risk, if I am to believe all I've read on this forum about Watkins, far outweighs the possible reward. JMO.

I don't think its THAT crazy. And I'm guessing it's primarily just trying guys out in camp in case of injury or special need in a big moment at the end of a game.

You want to know what your guys are capable of.

I'm actually completely fine with it. Watkins has the ability to win games from the STs alone. Chances are this is just "giving him a look", but if they use him there during the season it's fine by me. Being a WR in the NFL takes some adjustment, but being a good returner is something he could make a huge difference with right away. The injury concerns are way overblown, I'd bet kick returners get hurt less than WRs do. Was there a single returner injured last year during a KO? Injuries usually end up happening to the blockers, and coverage guys.

Give your players a chance to win the game.

Didn't Moulds return kicks his first couple years?

1st round WR's regularly return kicks as a rookie, especially ones with Watkin's skill set. Cordarrelle Patterson didn't make a huge impact as a WR as a rookie, but he returned kicks last year also and was amazing at it. No injury concerns there.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

As you can read in my reply to your question just one post above the one you quoted...I don't "care" about practice. The height of insanity IMO would be for Watkins to ever return a meaningful punt or kick in the 2014 season for the Bills.

It's all about risk/reward. To me the risk, if I am to believe all I've read on this forum about Watkins, far outweighs the possible reward. JMO.

This is why I asked the question about what is the "real" risk to returners. Your entrenched position makes it seem as though you believe it is a foregone conclusion a kick returner will suffer an injury, but I'm not so sure the statistics bear that out.

This is why I asked the question about what is the "real" risk to returners. Your entrenched position makes it seem as though you believe it is a foregone conclusion a kick returner will suffer an injury, but I'm not so sure the statistics bear that out.

This is exactly my feeling. I don't believe kick returners face a higher risk of injury. There are injuries on kick returns, but that usually involves the blockers/tacklers. Playing WR appears to be way more risky from what I've seen. Half the time it will just be a touchback anyway.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If Watkins will never be used to return a kick or punt why are the coaches wasting valuable time having him practice at it? I'm not concerned with statistics. As I said earlier, when looked at from a risk/reward perspective to me the risk outweighs the possible reward.

If Watkins will never be used to return a kick or punt why are the coaches wasting valuable time having him practice at it? I'm not concerned with statistics. As I said earlier, when looked at from a risk/reward perspective to me the risk outweighs the possible reward.

I don't agree with your logic on this issue, but that's fine. Cheers.

I don't agree with your logic on this issue, but that's fine. Cheers.

I'm not sure that there is anything logical about it. I feel that using Watkins on kick or punt returns would be (potentially) a big mistake. It would smack of desperation to me and shortsightedness. It's simply what I think.

I haven't been able to find any statistics showing returners are more/less/equally susceptible to injury than the wide receiver position. Like you, I look at it anecdotally and it seems to me that wide receivers have been injured more than kick returners. Particularly those that work the middle of the field. It seems to me, far more often than returners, wide receivers are not focused on what is coming at them (instead, focusing on the ball), and consistently exposing their bodies in ways that are more likely to get them injured - particularly in this day of big strong safeties (and linebackers able to drop into coverage) who are all looking for that ESPN highlight hit.

If anyone out there has any statistics supporting one side or another, then I certainly am willing to evaluate my position accordingly. Until then, I do not have a big problem with it.

Edited by billsfan1959

:lol: It's like using your brand new Cadillac to haul lumber.

Can it do the job? -Probably.

However, considering the value of the vehicle, it just isn't something a responsible owner would do.

Caddies are plentiful, and easily replaced. Stud wide-outs, not so much.

The organization mortgaged it's future to move up and grab this kid. Putting him at the mercy of some Jet/Patsy/Dolphin gunner is nothing short of moronic. I'd FIRE a guy for that. In a second, -No questions asked.