Secretariat

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do any of you think that California Chrome will win tomorrow, or will he come up short?

History, and the numbers stack against him. Keep in mind the field is also larger than you would want. If Chrome wins it would be the largest Belmont Stakes field beaten by a Triple Crown winner. The previous 11 winners never faced more than 7 other horses. Chrome will face 10 tomorrow.

The handicapper in me doesn't want him to win but as a fan of horse racing I'd love to see it. It would be a great boost for the industry.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

why?

Good question Pooj, and i will go into a long winded answer LOL

Derby is the hardest race in the world to handicap..by a mile. The outcome is often so random and determined by factors that one can never anticipate...it is very hard to lay money on the favorite.Andrew Beyer has not hit the Derby in over twenty years, but crushes the Breeders Cup races like nobodies business, and eben has a major handicapping figure named after him.

GoDD also is not one to come on the board and say i "crushed that triple" after the fact. He tells you exactly what he his betting and why, before the card even starts. I am more than willing to bet all the sharpies on here are not willing to do the same...only claim their smartness after the race without ever publicly claiming the numbers and amounts of their bets.

But that is all beside the point...GoDD is in the game, and as astute a turf handicapper as i have ever seen. I have crushed cards when he lays out best bets on the turf.Go back and read that entire thread, dude is money on turf...and he calls it upfront, not once the race is over.

Tomorrow is all about taking money from drunk New Yorkers ....and GoDD gives you a great shot at doing that. My Belmont wager tomorrow will be less than 2% of what i bet in the other races..and hopefully GoDD has some good ones for me. Dude is the real deal!

Edited by plenzmd1

I really don't know much about horse racing but it seems odd to me that a conversation about the best racehorse of all time doesn't have any mention of Phar Lap(possibly the best, certainly at least 2nd best).

I really don't know much about horse racing but it seems odd to me that a conversation about the best racehorse of all time doesn't have any mention of Phar Lap(possibly the best, certainly at least 2nd best).

It is obviously hard to compare the two... But you do bring a unique "down under" viewpoint. Probably for many, what they are talking about revolves around North American thoroughbred racing.

With California Chrome attempting to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978, I figured some folks might enjoy a tribute to Secretariat, the greatest racing horse in documented history.

If you simply want to be amazed, skip ahead to the video...otherwise, a few facts to whet your palate:

- Secretariat's heart was 2-1/2 times the size of a typical horse's heart, which trainers believe was the single biggest contributing factor to his dominance

- Many trainers and owners chose to keep their horses from running in the 1973 Belmont Stakes against Secretariat, as they were worried their horses would injured (or even kill) themselves attempting to keep up with him

- Sham, the horse that finished 2nd to Secretariat, nearly suffered internal bleeding trying to keep pace with him

- Were it not for Secretariat, Sham not only would've won the Triple Crown in 1973, but would've had the fastest combined Triple Crown race time in history up to that point

And now, for your viewing pleasure and sheer amazement (because everyone ought to see this race at least once in their lives), I present to you the single greatest feat in horse racing history; the 1973 Belmont Stakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Unbelievable.

That was an unbelievable performance, but I've always preferred Secretariat's Preakness run. Dead last coming into the second turn, Secretariat comes out of nowhere like he's shot out of a cannon and blows past the field like it's nothing. Ultimately wins by 2.5 lengths.

His Belmont victory was so dominant it almost lacks context, the rest of the field was so far behind. That move at the Preakness, though, where you actually see Secretariat running with other horses and passing them like they're standing still, shows how other-worldly Secretariat actually was. That horse performed on a completely different level.

No love for Real Quiet from the both of you?

No love for Silver Charm? This horse was amazing and had some really good competition. Leading up to the Derby he chased a highly regarded filly Sharp Cat around the track through some blistering fractions in the Santa Anita Derby and lost to Free House by a nose. Some wondered would Silver Charm have anything left for the Derby. He was awesome in the Derby holding off a late charging Captin Bogit and Free House to capture the roses by a neck. The Preakness was even better and all the top horses were in it, Silver Charm, Free House, Captin Bogit, and Touch Gold and boy did they not disappoint, it was an unbelievable finish between Silver Charm, Free House, and Captin Bogit with Silver Charm prevailing by a nose. Silver Charm, Free House and Touch Gold gave us another epic battle down the stretch in the Belmont, with Silver Charm losing by a half length to Touch Gold. Those 4 races by Silver Charm were simply amazing. The compeition was so good. A great story behind Silver Charm. For all the money Silver Charm would earn in his career, the gray or roan son of Silver Buck attracted a meager price of $16,500 when he was sold as a yearling in 1995. He was later re-sold for $30,000 and then in the spring of his 2-year-old season was purchased privately for $85,000 by Baffert on behalf of the Lewises. He might have lost the triple crown by in my eyes he was one of the all time greats. If you have a chance youtube those 4 races. They were just remarkable.

Edited by tomato can

No love for Silver Charm? This horse was amazing and had some really good competition. Leading up to the Derby he chased a highly regarded filly Sharp Cat around the track through some blistering fractions in the Santa Anita Derby and lost to Free House by a nose. Some wondered would Silver Charm have anything left for the Derby. He was awesome in the Derby holding off a late charging Captin Bogit and Free House to capture the roses by a neck. The Preakness was even better and all the top horses were in it, Silver Charm, Free House, Captin Bogit, and Touch Gold and boy did they not disappoint, it was an unbelievable finish between Silver Charm, Free House, and Captin Bogit with Silver Charm prevailing by a nose. Silver Charm, Free House and Touch Gold gave us another epic battle down the stretch in the Belmont, with Silver Charm losing by a half length to Touch Gold. Those 4 races by Silver Charm were simply amazing. The compeition was so good. A great story behind Silver Charm. For all the money Silver Charm would earn in his career, the gray or roan son of Silver Buck attracted a meager price of $16,500 when he was sold as a yearling in 1995. He was later re-sold for $30,000 and then in the spring of his 2-year-old season was purchased privately for $85,000 by Baffert on behalf of the Lewises. He might have lost the triple crown by in my eyes he was one of the all time greats. If you have a chance youtube those 4 races. They were just remarkable.

Silver Charm was mentioned earlier, albeit not as in great detail as you put it.

I remember that Triple Crown very well. Those three races were all thrillers. I remember how in that Preakness race that Touch Gold stumbled out of the gate and still managed to come in 4th. Captain Bogit was an exciting horse as well, too bad he could not run in the Belmont.

Silver Charm was mentioned earlier, albeit not as in great detail as you put it.

I remember that Triple Crown very well. Those three races were all thrillers. I remember how in that Preakness race that Touch Gold stumbled out of the gate and still managed to come in 4th. Captain Bogit was an exciting horse as well, too bad he could not run in the Belmont.

My apologies Mark, Silver Charm was mentioned and I missed it. Those races were definitely thrillers. That Santa Anita Derby battle was equally as good. Captain Bogit was very exciting and it was disappointing that he was not able to go in the Belmont. With the Belmont being even longer and him being an great closer he may very well have been able to run them down. He just ran out of real estate in the Derby and Preakness. Touch Gold was awesome in the Preakness to stumble out of the gate and still get back into the race was impressive.

Not to knock California Chrome but over the last several years it seems like the top derby contenders that do not win the derby all seem to be passing either the Preakness or the Belmont. I guess the money is so good in other big races there is no real urgency to race in the Preakness or Belmont anymore.

Sham was incredible...that cannot be over-stated. It's possible he suffered from the worst timing in the history of sports racing against Secretariat. He really did keep up with him for 2-1/2 races...

Alydar might argue with that.

Yeah I was kinda kidding...just focused on his one statement. He, you and a couple others seem to exponentially more knowledgeable about horseracing than i am. I watch it simply for the tradition and pageantry, that's where my acumen ends. Thanks for your time in trying to enlighten some of us schlubs.

Good question Pooj, and i will go into a long winded answer LOL

Derby is the hardest race in the world to handicap..by a mile. The outcome is often so random and determined by factors that one can never anticipate...it is very hard to lay money on the favorite.Andrew Beyer has not hit the Derby in over twenty years, but crushes the Breeders Cup races like nobodies business, and eben has a major handicapping figure named after him.

GoDD also is not one to come on the board and say i "crushed that triple" after the fact. He tells you exactly what he his betting and why, before the card even starts. I am more than willing to bet all the sharpies on here are not willing to do the same...only claim their smartness after the race without ever publicly claiming the numbers and amounts of their bets.

But that is all beside the point...GoDD is in the game, and as astute a turf handicapper as i have ever seen. I have crushed cards when he lays out best bets on the turf.Go back and read that entire thread, dude is money on turf...and he calls it upfront, not once the race is over.

Tomorrow is all about taking money from drunk New Yorkers ....and GoDD gives you a great shot at doing that. My Belmont wager tomorrow will be less than 2% of what i bet in the other races..and hopefully GoDD has some good ones for me. Dude is the real deal!

Yeah I was kinda kidding...just focused on his one statement. He, you and a couple others seem to exponentially more knowledgeable about horseracing than i am. I watch it simply for the tradition and pageantry, that's where my acumen ends. Thanks for your time in trying to enlighten some of us schlubs.

his picks for the card today are up...and he has some juicy long shots on the turf races. Just so ya know, TwinSpires is really easy to set up and account, and if i am correct you can be playing first day. If you can,open an account there, and put $5 on his 20-1 shot in the 4th, and a few dollars on his other picks.

He may come up empty today, but he has made my twinspires account grow with a few of his hits in those turf races.

BTW, Beyers picks for the Belmont ???outside the derby he is usually a great handicapper

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/in-belmont-stakes-place-your-sentiments-on-california-chrome-put-your-money-elsewhere/2014/06/05/bfbc4b38-ecb0-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

Edited by plenzmd1

i didn't go over there for fear that i might take his advise with money that i shouldn't bet with...how have his picks done so far

his picks for the card today are up...and he has some juicy long shots on the turf races. Just so ya know, TwinSpires is really easy to set up and account, and if i am correct you can be playing first day. If you can,open an account there, and put $5 on his 20-1 shot in the 4th, and a few dollars on his other picks.

He may come up empty today, but he has made my twinspires account grow with a few of his hits in those turf races.

BTW, Beyers picks for the Belmont ???outside the derby he is usually a great handicapper

http://www.washingto...5d9e_story.html

Looks like the topic of conversation will be California Chrome's owner's comments after the race. Wow!

Yes it will. Ride on Curlin raced all 3 races (derby, preakness, and belmont) and he was flat also.