TD article from 1/22

Dan III

If he will tell Bledsoe in a couple of weeks, that can't mean he will start...

217027[/snapback]

"I think you can have Drew back as a starter........You can open it up to a competition... or you can do something different with the position." -- TD

according to that comment, he obviously views bledsoe being named the starter without a competition as an option.........do you think he's lying?

"I think you can have Drew back as a starter........You can open it up to a competition... or you can do something different with the position." -- TD

according to that comment, he obviously views bledsoe being named the starter without a competition as an option.........do you think he's lying?

217042[/snapback]

I finally understand why no one outside this board thinks what TD said last week is a big deal(thus no newspaper articles)--it's not. Unless the Bills "do something different"--which seems unlikely givne their investment in Losman and Bledsoe-- the issue is whether Bledsoe is guaranteed the job, or whether he has to earn it in camp. Big deal. I mean I always assumed if and when Losman is performing better than Bledsoe, he would get the job. This all now seems like a big nothing to me...CD

217042[/snapback]

All TD is saying is that he's not saying anything right now. And yes, he has been known to flat out lie.

If he does want to dump Drew, I fully expect him try and get something from someone for Drew -- even if it's a 5th round pick from Arizona. TD may believe he'd be degrading Drew's value by telling the world that Drew is no longer the starter in Buffalo. I would agree with that.

All TD is saying is that he's not saying anything right now. And yes, he has been known to flat out lie.

If he does want to dump Drew, I fully expect him try and get something from someone for Drew -- even if it's a 5th round pick from Arizona. TD may believe he'd be degrading Drew's value by telling the world that Drew is no longer the starter in Buffalo. I would agree with that.

217066[/snapback]

if i'm arizona, why do i want drew under the current terms of his contract??

2005 -- 3.3 million plus 1 million roster bonus

2006 -- 4.35 million plus 1 million roster bonus

why don't i just wait until he's cut, save my draft pick, and then sign him to a more reasonable deal?

if i'm arizona, why do i want drew under the current terms of his contract??

2005 -- 3.3 million plus 1 million roster bonus

2006 -- 4.35 million plus 1 million roster bonus

why don't i just wait until he's cut, save my draft pick, and then sign him to a more reasonable deal?

217088[/snapback]

Thank you for validating my point. That is why TD is witholding any announcment, IMHO.

The Cards would likely work out a new deal with Drew before they’d pull the trigger.

All TD said is "nothing". He's left all his options open, yet the one thing that we can gain from this was he did not give Bledsoe an endorsement either. TD has left the position wide open for who ever steps up and takes it, just as it should be.

Whether TD will be able to wheel and deal TH or even possibly Bledsoe (very doubtful though) remains to be seen.

I think that when you take into consideration the "We will make a decision at QB in the next couple weeks," which he apparently said on the radio, he is clearly asking DB to take a pay cut or contemplating cutting hiim outright. (My guess would be the former.) Otherwise, what "decision" is there to make? There's no decision to be made on JP. He's on the team. They're not going to name a starter in February. So unless you think he's talking about the big Shane Matthews decision, he must be contemplating some sort of immediate change re: DB (whether $ or roster status) to have made that comment.

I think that when you take into consideration the "We will make a decision at QB in the next couple weeks," which he apparently said on the radio, he is clearly asking DB to take a pay cut or contemplating cutting hiim outright. (My guess would be the former.) Otherwise, what "decision" is there to make? There's no decision to be made on JP. He's on the team. They're not going to name a starter in February. So unless you think he's talking about the big Shane Matthews decision, he must be contemplating some sort of immediate change re: DB (whether $ or roster status) to have made that comment.

217148[/snapback]

I think you nailed it on the head!!

Thank you for validating my point. That is why TD is witholding any announcment, IMHO.

The Cards would likely work out a new deal with Drew before they’d pull the trigger.

217094[/snapback]

you didn't answer the questions

We can't know for sure what TD is thinking......but that's probably the whole point. But the fact of the matter is that the season just ended and already there is commenting on the QB position that does NOT involve an endorsement, as was pointed out above. Coming on the heels of Bledsoe's "this is my team" comment, I think you'd have to look at that as being curious. Sure, those of us who are ready for JP to be given the reigns are going to read it one way, and those of you who think Drew should still be the starter will see it another. But, as many of us always come back to, the fact of the matter is that TD drafted JP for a reason. It wasn't to have a project......it wasn't to have a mobile back-up for Drew. It was with the intention of making a change at the position. It's just a matter of when that change will occur. To me, when you look at the situation as a whole, it looks like change is on the horizon.

217148[/snapback]

i think you are jumping to conclusions.......

i think the comment "we will make a decision at QB the next couple weeks" could also just be the decision as to whether to open the competition or not.......it may have nothing to do with having drew take a pay cut or contemplating cutting him completely.........

it is possible they could name a starter in february........

you have assumed when he says "decision" that he means "who will be on the roster", when in fact he could just mean "depth chart decision".........

you didn't answer the questions

217167[/snapback]

I believe I did, but I must not have been clear enough. In theory TD needs maintain that he he’s willing to keep Drew on team, whether as the starter or as an expensive clipboard carrier. If you’re Dennis Green you are then left to decide whether TD is bluffing or not. If he is bluffing, you just hope no one beats you to Drew – trading for him allows Green to not have to worry about that. If TD isn’t bluffing, then Green won’t get his guy.

I believe I did, but I must not have been clear enough. In theory TD needs maintain that he he’s willing to keep Drew on team, whether as the starter or as an expensive clipboard carrier. If you’re Dennis Green you are then left to decide whether TD is bluffing or not. If he is bluffing, you just hope no one beats you to Drew – trading for him allows Green to not have to worry about that. If TD isn’t bluffing, then Green won’t get his guy.

217178[/snapback]

so why would any team be bending over backwards to land a guy like bledsoe (and his current contract)? why would they be pinning their off-season hopes at the QB position on one guy? that is what i don't get.........

so why would any team be bending over backwards to land a guy like bledsoe (and his current contract)? why would they be pinning their off-season hopes at the QB position on one guy? that is what i don't get.........

217183[/snapback]

I never said anyone was going to be “bending over backwards” for Bledsoe. Actually, I never said anyone would do anything for Bledsoe. Read back and you’ll see I was writing about what I believe TD is trying to do with his latest statements.

However, I do believe there are some teams in the league that think Drew still has what it takes to win. I think the Cards may be among those teams. I don’t think trading a late draft pick for Drew is bending over backwards.

In reality, I think Drew will be cut and retire. I am just stating what think TD is trying to do right now.