NFLS top RB Trios

Joe B's Day 3 OTA notes said that Hackett had Spiller and Jackson in the same formation. They will be able to do this because of the acquisition of Bryce Brown, and I also think that was why they were trying to get Hyde in the draft. With a guy like that as the 3d RB, they will be able to use Spiller and Jackson simultaneously without having to worry about resting one because Brown can come in and take carries. This is very encouraging because if you have Spiller out there the defense always has to know where he is which takes focus off of Fred and plus you put Watkins out there....

Whaley said he had been trying to trade for Bryce Brown for 18 months. They know what they have in Spiller/Jackson now (I think they thought he was more of a bell cow back last year and by the time they figured out he was not that, he was hurt and couldn't use him the way they wanted to). The RB depth, with Dixon too.... is very awesome. If only we had been able to punch the ball in at the goal line against KC and Cincy....

That should be a different story this year with the big guards we've added. We might actually see some holes on running plays!

Does anyone honestly think we are going to carry 4 pure RB's? The answer should be no that said Doug Whaley brought in TWO of them this offseason, HIS personnel moves. Anyone care to guess which RB gets cut? Hint: It won't be one of the two guys HE Brought in this year.

Dixon is not a pure RB. He is a multi-purpose FB and ST player who can contribute in short-yardage but has the versatility to pinch-hit at RB if needed. Because of his versatility, he can take Summers' roster spot potentially while still providing RB depth and ST strength. Edited by YoloinOhio

Dixon is not a pure RB. He is a multi-purpose FB and ST player who can contribute in short-yardage but has the versatility to pinch-hit at RB if needed. Because of his versatility, he can take Summers' roster spot potentially while still providing RB depth and ST strength.

Agreed. Summers is history IMO.

Spiller isn't going anywhere; he's in the prime of his career and entering a contract year. We know PHI took a run at acquiring him and they were denied. CJ is primed to repeat his 2012 season.

Fred Jackson is Fred Jackson. He's a team leader and incredibly consistent. He is the perfect veteran role model for a player like Bryce Brown & could teach him a ton of things. Also in contract year.

Bryce Brown was just traded for at the draft. They've supposedly been after him for 18 months- I think Hackett/Marrone love his size and physicality in this offense. He picks up those tough 3rd and shorts.

Anthony Dixon rounds out the roster. They just signed him and he will fill the FB role. Big, bruising back that can pick up the tough 1st downs. More talented and versatile then Summers.

They aren't going to keep more then 4 RB/FB's. That means Summers is the odd man out unless Dixon really Has A Terrible camp

Edited by smapdi

They'll carry more RBs this year as they prepare to move on from Spiller and FJ. Spiller will have to produce like in 2012 to get the new contract. More likely he has a decent year, and we insert some of these new guys. FJ has one more year, and I don't see him getting another contract after 2015. He'll retire a Bill. No one else is picking up a 35-36 yr old RB.

Don't get me wrong as FJ is my favorite Bill all the way back to Kelly.

Agreed. Summers is history IMO.

Spiller isn't going anywhere; he's in the prime of his career and entering a contract year. We know PHI took a run at acquiring him and they were denied. CJ is primed to repeat his 2012 season.

Fred Jackson is Fred Jackson. He's a team leader and incredibly consistent. He is the perfect veteran role model for a player like Bryce Brown & could teach him a ton of things. Also in contract year.

Bryce Brown was just traded for at the draft. They've supposedly been after him for 18 months- I think Hackett/Marrone love his size and physicality in this offense. He picks up those tough 3rd and shorts.

Anthony Dixon rounds out the roster. They just signed him and he will fill the FB role. Big, bruising back that can pick up the tough 1st downs. More talented and versatile then Summers.

They aren't going to keep more then 4 RB/FB's. That means Summers is the odd man out unless Dixon really Has A Terrible camp

This is very close to my view on the RB/FB situation.

What I want to know is if Brown can effectively follow a fullback. It has looked to me like Fred can, and Spiller really can't. If Summers beats Dixon, I have to think it's by being a better pure FB. I really liked Summers when he got the ball last year, it just sounds, from the little info I have read, like Dixon is better at catching the ball, being a RB if needed, and also can play STs.

They'll carry more RBs this year as they prepare to move on from Spiller and FJ. Spiller will have to produce like in 2012 to get the new contract. More likely he has a decent year, and we insert some of these new guys. FJ has one more year, and I don't see him getting another contract after 2015. He'll retire a Bill. No one else is picking up a 35-36 yr old RB.

Don't get me wrong as FJ is my favorite Bill all the way back to Kelly.

Fairly stated.

This is very close to my view on the RB/FB situation.

What I want to know is if Brown can effectively follow a fullback. It has looked to me like Fred can, and Spiller really can't. If Summers beats Dixon, I have to think it's by being a better pure FB. I really liked Summers when he got the ball last year, it just sounds, from the little info I have read, like Dixon is better at catching the ball, being a RB if needed, and also can play STs.

Dixon , upon reading on recent reports is really showing off his versatility . That might be the tipping point over My Man Frank the Tank

insane to think our backfield used to be lynch, fj, and spiller.

The drafting of Spiller signaled the end of Lynch. The Bills just couldn't find the partner on draft day. They eventually had to hang on to him for months before Seattle plucked him