Sportsmanship or Douchery?

Guffalo

Story from California High School Softball playoffs.

Opposing coach sees a rule violation prior to the game (conducting batting practice prior to a playoff game). After his team loses, he then shows evidence he gathered on the cellphone. I wonder if his team won would he have bothered to show the video. As part of sportsmanship why not warn the opposing coach he may be in violation. What message do the kids get "If all fails, have a backup plan"

What's the punishment? Forfeit the game. What stops teams from just ignoring the rule then? Did the illegal practice help them to win? Maybe. I am not sure what to make of this. If penalty was immediate forfeit, I can understand why he tried to beat them... Then after losing... The game is lost anyway (forfeit). Maybe the illegal practice gave the other team enough batting practice that the team just couldn't overcome. By playing them, they tried to overcome a very warmed up opponent.

Douchery.

I can't believe the league couldn't have given them another punishment too-- like a warning or fine?

What's a warning or a fine going to do if you beat your opponent because you are warmed up... Cost of doing business.

What is the primary reason why they don't allow batting practice before a playoff game?

Huge douchery. And absurd that kids messing around with a Wiffle ball would be interpreted as batting practice. If anything, it would hurt their timing.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the coach of the DQ'd team is the one at fault for failing to know the rules and ensure his team followed them.

Why on earth does this rule even exist?

Exactly.

Douchbagery at its finest by the opposing coach.

Based on this I'd say also douchbagery on the part of the sponsoring organization.

THE PENALTY FOR BATTING PRACTICE WITH WIFFLE BALLS, SOFTBALLS, BASEBALLS, ETC. MAY BE FORFEITURE OF THE GAME.
Looks like they left themselves some wiggle room but decided not to use it. Edited by Beerball

there has to be more to the story.

and it is d-bag. If i was the opposing coach i'd smile, say thanks for upholding the rules, wish them luck, walk away with my head held high.

later when he's at his car, i'd shiv the mofo.

Huge douchery. And absurd that kids messing around with a Wiffle ball would be interpreted as batting practice. If anything, it would hurt their timing.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the coach of the DQ'd team is the one at fault for failing to know the rules and ensure his team followed them.

I didn't read the article... Were they messing around with a wiffle ball?

UNLESS... They are actually timing opposing pitchers? Remember when the Cubs prospect pitcher beaned an opposing batter (I think college ball) and permanently disabled the batter, wrecking his career.

Then again... One can't bean another with a wiffle ball and destroy their eye socket... LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois