anybody used ikea cabinets?

not specifically cabinets but i have had a fair amount of ikea products/furniture over the years, despite the odd sizing and the pain in the ass installations, i have always found their stuff to be very durable and functional, and the pricing is pretty good as well...in fact i was just on their site checking out futons and dressers

not specifically cabinets but i have had a fair amount of ikea products/furniture over the years, despite the odd sizing and the pain in the ass installations, i have always found their stuff to be very durable and functional, and the pricing is pretty good as well...in fact i was just on their site checking out futons and dressers

thanks. we just went to the charlotte store and i was amazed. it's gigantic and has more products than i'd ever thought. we picked up some lamps and bedding which seem good quality and the price was excellent. the sleek, modern look of the cabinets (and really most of their stock) is pretty much impossible to find elsewhere in the US (that i'm aware of) except in high end specialty stores at ridiculously high prices. from what i've read the hardware is top quality but the cabinets are frameless and veneer. about 10 years ago consumer reports rated them the best value cabinets but that's pretty long ago. they're about 1/2 the price of even semi custom cabinets from home depot or lowes but you have to put them together or pay someone else to do it. i've talked to a local bed and breakfast owner that put them in 3 years ago and was extremely happy. was hoping for some other experiences. maybe a DIY or home improvement site would be a better bet.

I've had the exact opposite experience: except for one reclining chair and two magazine holders made from some pretty good quality birch ply, everything I've ever seen from Ikea has been cheap particle board (and sometimes cardboard) garbage that hasn't lasted more than three years.

Their engineering and design is pretty good...but their manufacturing for the most part is so shoddy that their engineering and design efforts are wasted.

I've had the exact opposite experience: except for one reclining chair and two magazine holders made from some pretty good quality birch ply, everything I've ever seen from Ikea has been cheap particle board (and sometimes cardboard) garbage that hasn't lasted more than three years.

Their engineering and design is pretty good...but their manufacturing for the most part is so shoddy that their engineering and design efforts are wasted.

I don't buy my furniture from the same place I buy my meatballs and I sure as !@#$ don't buy my meatballs from a furniture store, so maybe I'll shop at IKEA at some point, but probably not. My real issue with this idea is how exactly do IKEA cabinets promote wealth equality? Wouldn't such purchases simply exacerbate the problem?

The kitchen stuff is not as cheap and flimsy as their regular, bargain furniture. I had their basic cabinets in my condo's kitchen when I moved in and never had any problems. Also had friends re-do their kitchen and used Ikea's high-end cabinets and it came out very nice, and theyve had no functionality issues (3 years into it).

Edited by DrDareustein

The kitchen stuff is not as cheap and flimsy as their regular, bargain furniture. I had their basic cabinets in my condo's kitchen when I moved in and never had any problems. Also had friends re-do their kitchen and used Ikea's high-end cabinets and it came out very nice, and theyve had no functionality issues (3 years into it).

cool. thanks for that. we'd be looking at their high end cabinets which are still much less expensive than most anything else with similar aesthetics. this is what i've heard from a few other people: their cabinets and countertops are some of their best products.

I don't buy my furniture from the same place I buy my meatballs and I sure as !@#$ don't buy my meatballs from a furniture store, so maybe I'll shop at IKEA at some point, but probably not. My real issue with this idea is how exactly do IKEA cabinets promote wealth equality? Wouldn't such purchases simply exacerbate the problem?

they're swedish, smart guy. very egalitarian http://www.economist.com/node/21564412. it's some of the appeal but i also really like the design. the model kitchens were awesome. and their meatballs are damn good. i tried them in the charlotte store. Edited by birdog1960