Colts Owner Jim Irsay Charged with Two Misdemeanors

@ESPNNFL

BREAKING: Jim Irsay is being charged with two misdemeanors relating to a March arrest.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10975471/indianapolis-colts-owner-jim-irsay-charged-two-misdemeanors-march-arrest

Irsay has been charged with one count of operating while intoxicated, a C misdemeanor, and one count of operating a vehicle with a schedule I or II controlled substance or its metabolite in the body, also a C misdemeanor. The substances were oxycodone and/or hydrocodone.

Goodell better put the hammer down on him hard if he's convicted.

Not saying Irsay wouldn't have it coming but I'd be surprised if the Commish drops the hammer on him because he's an owner.

Edited by Campy

There is nervous people in Colts nation. Living in Indy, some think that he could get the Sterling treatment. That is over kill. He will be sanctioned and fined. Suspension is a big possibility. Jimmy has been know to have alcohol problems but the drugs are a new wrinkle. The guy is really nice but a very flawed human. I hope he gets clean and sober.

Edited by Nitro

Not saying Irsay wouldn't have it coming but I'd be surprised if the Commish drops the hammer on him because he's an owner.

If not the NFLPA will rightfully raise hell about a double standard. Shouldn't the "protect the shield mantra" apply even more to a franchise owner?

If not the NFLPA will rightfully raise hell about a double standard. Shouldn't the "protect the shield mantra" apply even more to a franchise owner?

In theory, yes I think it should, the same way the rules are different for cops and teachers where we expect more and don't tolerate screw ups from them.

In application, he's not a contracted employee, he's one of the partners - an owner. Also, it could get dicey because he's an admitted addict which means he's ill and that could open a whole 'nother can of worms...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It sure as hell should. Just me plain old fan will be pissed if he doesn't hammer this guy

I'm pretty sure that if Goodell applies the same standard to Irsay as he does the players, then Irsay will get off with just a warning. I don't know if Irsay has any other arrests/convictions but players are usually not suspended after their first arrest.

edit: drinking and driving is 2 games. He'll get at least that.

Edited by Fingon

I'm pretty sure that if Goodell applies the same standard to Irsay as he does the players, then Irsay will get off with just a warning. I don't know if Irsay has any other arrests/convictions but players are usually not suspended after their first arrest.

edit: drinking and driving is 2 games. He'll get at least that.

For players a first offense with no escalating factors is 2 game checks not a 2 game suspension - unless that's been recently updated and I missed it

I'd expect him to get a pretty huge fine and probably excused from team functions for part (but not all) of the season assuming he completes his rehab and all that jazz.

Edited by NoSaint

Why is that? I believe this is his first offense correct? He shouldn't come down any harder on Irsay then he would a player in the same situation which I wouldn't call putting the hammer down on him hard.

Why is that? I believe this is his first offense correct? He shouldn't come down any harder on Irsay then he would a player in the same situation which I wouldn't call putting the hammer down on him hard.

It should be a higher standard, but that doesn't mean he has to be crazy about it either.

There is nervous people in Colts nation. Living in Indy, some think that he could get the Sterling treatment. That is over kill. He will be sanctioned and fined. Suspension is a big possibility. Jimmy has been know to have alcohol problems but the drugs are a new wrinkle. The guy is really nice but a very flawed human. I hope he gets clean and sober.

Why on earth would anyone think he would get the Sterling treatment? The guy is an addict and got busted, no idea how that even remotely compares to the Sterling situation.

I don't see what suspending an owner would actually mean even for one as heavily involved in the team decisions as him. He will be fined and all the normal stuff but I'm not expecting anything outrageous here especially with him admitting he has a problem which will basically give him somewhat of a free pass

This is how people are reacting. It might not seem like a big deal in Buffalo but here, it is. See this article from earlier this year.

http://www.indystar....s-help/6523925/

The team has been covering for him locally and cleaning up his messes. This has was kept low key until his arrest and this is why some folks here are on edge.

Edited by Nitro

This is how people are reacting. It might not seem like a big deal in Buffalo but here, it is. See this article from earlier this year.

http://www.indystar....s-help/6523925/

The team has been covering for him locally and cleaning up his messes. This has was kept low key until his arrest and this is why some folks here are on edge.

I am familiar with the FO in Indy and I have to agree. I have a relative who worked there for 16 years and now is in another FO but although he is a VERY nice man, he has a lot of demons, most of which were well-known in house. Sad.

Bill Pollion must be giigling :flirt:

Polian didn't agree with some of the direction Irsay wanted to take with the team, and some of the things he and Grigson have done since then, but some of that is ego. And he should have an ego, he is one of the most successful GMs of all time. I truly do not think he is laughing, though, about Irsay's personal struggles. Polian is a class act. Edited by YoloinOhio

As much as I dislike Irsay, I think it would be an injustice to" bring the hammer down", so to speak. Of course, I've never subscribed to the theory that you hold the owner to a higher standard either. It's a couple of misdemeanors. I fear for the future of our society when every minor mistake is met with calls for the proverbial guillotine (pronounced gee-ya-teen) by the peanut gallery.

As much as I dislike Irsay, I think it would be an injustice to" bring the hammer down", so to speak. Of course, I've never subscribed to the theory that you hold the owner to a higher standard either. It's a couple of misdemeanors. I fear for the future of our society when every minor mistake is met with calls for the proverbial guillotine (pronounced gee-ya-teen) by the peanut gallery.

Reduced from felonies . Lets keep that in mind.

Nitros link was eye opening to me .

And where i live Police get preferential treatment for drunk driving , hit and runs , embezzlement etc.

Again and again .

After reading that write up i just hope the guys gets some help before someone innocent gets hurt . Thats my thing .

Edited by 3rdand12

• 2 weeks later...