Can WR Change This Team?

There is little question in my mind that, overall, this Bills team is the most talented they have had across the board in some time. They have one of the top D Lines in the NFL, have significantly added to their LB's at starting and back up positions (in addition to having a budding superstar in Kiko), and despite losing Byrd still have a very talented group of DBs.

On the offensive side, many would consider the tandem of Spiller/Jackson to be among the best, if not the best, pair of running backs in the NFL and they have added a talented player to that. Woods and Goodwin showed great potential for their roles in their rookie year. They added Williams via trade who has some impressive numbers and talents on his own. They have a potential all pro LT in Glen, one of the leagues most solid Centers in Wood, and have added considerable talent at LG and RT to go along with some decent potential late round OL prospects and a few that were already on the roster. They do not have a superstar at TE but what they have adequate.

This all comes down to one thing: If you believe EJ will make a big step forward this year and be even an above average NFL starting QB in his second year, then trading for the right to select Watkins will make a huge difference. This offense lacked a true Number 1, consistent threat at WR. I have always been a fan of Stevie but he was not it. Williams is, at worst, a wash with Johnson and I think will be an upgrade. Combined with Goodwin, Woods, and Williams the Bills could have a scary offense with Watkins. It all comes down to EJ.

Many here do not believe EJ will justify the confidence the Bills have shown in him. Thats fine. The jury is out. I saw both good and bad, but just not enough of either to say for sure. The Bills obviously believe in him and have surrounded him with great talent. Many fans do not believe in the coaching staff. I do. I think Whaley has done a heck of a job so far, and that his moves in this draft do not signal anything approaching desperation to keep his job as many posters here have said and some media as well. I think last year's and this year's move simply signal belief in what they are doing and confidence in the coaches and players they have brought in. For all these reasons, I believe the Bills are very close to being a serious contender and I have not said that for a long time.

To the original OP, these are my reasoned opinions, and if you think they smack of "kook-aid drinking", in any flavor, I have two words for you which taken together are not allowable under the TSW policy. As for the comparison to Trent Edwards and the train wreck of a team at that time, I do not see any comparison at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Count much? 5 of 11 is the correct answer.

count along with me...

Antonio Brown, Steelers (missed playoffs)

Dez Bryant, Cowboys (missed playoffs)

Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals (missed playoffs)

Josh Gordon, Browns (missed playoffs)

A.J. Green, Bengals (MADE #1)

Alshon Jeffery, Bears (missed playoffs)

DeSean Jackson, Eagles (MADE #2) then cut

Andre Johnson, Texans (missed playoffs)

Calvin Johnson, Lions (missed playoffs)

Brandon Marshall, Bears (missed playoffs)

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos (MADE #3)

count along with me...

Antonio Brown, Steelers (missed playoffs)

Dez Bryant, Cowboys (missed playoffs)

Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals (missed playoffs)

Josh Gordon, Browns (missed playoffs)

A.J. Green, Bengals (MADE #1)

Alshon Jeffery, Bears (missed playoffs)

DeSean Jackson, Eagles (MADE #2) then cut

Andre Johnson, Texans (missed playoffs)

Calvin Johnson, Lions (missed playoffs)

Brandon Marshall, Bears (missed playoffs)

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos (MADE #3)

My mistake. I thought the Bears made it.

Look on the bright side, maybe Sammy won't make the Pro Bowl.

Well look at the Cincinnati Bengals:

Andy Dalton, average on his best days. But give him AJ Green and all of a sudden the Bengals offense is a threat at anytime. Add to that a very good defense and you have yourself a playoff caliber team in a very tough division.

Same logic can be applied to the Bills. We may not know if EJ is very good or not but if Sammy can do what AJ does in Cincy, that changes the whole offense.

AJ really is a difference maker for Dalton. He catches every horrible throw which arrives anywhere in his vicinity.

If Sammy Watkins can perform similar feats for EJ, he will look like a much better QB whether or not he is

As for the comparison to Trent Edwards and the train wreck of a team at that time, I do not see any comparison at all.

Coming off that pre-concussion 5-1 start the year prior, having drafted 2 much needed offensive linemen, having drafted the much needed pass rusher, having signed TO and switching to a no huddle offense, there was defintely a strong pre-season hype going into the 2009 season; combined with lot's of discussion (mainly focussed on not getting a LT and on Maybin, TE didnt become Captain Checkdown till we got to see him in pre-season). I think that's where the OP is coming from.

Bottomline is that we have way more talent on the roster and have no real gaping holes on the roster before we hit the preseason games and get to see a lot better if the team and talent is indeed where we believe it is at.

Can someone who hasn't had much grape kool-aid please explain how the Bills' situation is any better now than it was five years ago from avoiding more 6-10 or 7-9 seasons?:

2009: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (Trent Edwards), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL: Terrell Owens.

2014: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (E.J. Manuel), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL draft: Sammy Watkins.

Looking at this logically, the Bills' situation could potentially be much worse in 2014 than it was in 2009 since we traded away our most proven WR (Stevie Johnson) and we will not have a #1 draft pick next season. Please discuss.

Did you not notice that we picked up 4 massive Offensive Linemen to go along with our shiny new WR? Everything that has been wrong with the Buffalo offense for the last 10yrs(with the exception of QB) has been a weak, small and untalented OL. We have had some good receivers and running backs but could never ever bulldoze our way to a one yd gain on a goal line TD. This team has been running all of these tricky plays because they have been incapable of just lining up and daring a defense to try and stop them.

The AFCE is loaded with big defensive lines. Guys like Wilfork have been destroying our offensive line for years. That just just changed. This team will not be scared to run on 3rd down in short yardage situations any more. How many times have we watched a play, screamed at the TV or questioned a play call when we know they should have run the damn ball? We don't run in obvious short yardage situations because our OL has been weak.

You have to take into account the number of sacks this team had last year to get an idea of what's going on. You also have to ask yourself why a guy like CJ Spiller is not torching defenses too. We had Cordy Glen and Eric Wood who have performed admirably, but now we have finished the very foundation of what it takes to build a great offense.....a big nasty offensive line.

I didn't realize Watkins was the only player the Bills added this offseason

:thumbsup:

Can someone who hasn't had much grape kool-aid please explain how the Bills' situation is any better now than it was five years ago from avoiding more 6-10 or 7-9 seasons?:

2009: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (Trent Edwards), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL: Terrell Owens.

2014: The Bills, with an unproven young QB with speculative potential (E.J. Manuel), feel that they are one big player away on offense from making the playoffs and sign the top WR in the NFL draft: Sammy Watkins.

Looking at this logically, the Bills' situation could potentially be much worse in 2014 than it was in 2009 since we traded away our most proven WR (Stevie Johnson) and we will not have a #1 draft pick next season. Please discuss.

Not just the WR position got improvement. The O-line should be better (maybe inconsistent) based on the 2nd and 5th round picks. the team also added additional depth at RB. Therefore we have improved the offense as a whol (on paper). Now it falls on EJ willingness to trust his player and try to get the ball down field more often. Check downs a nice but he has to showing the ability to trust his WR/TE to make a play when they have one on one coverage. Don't lock not receivers, learn to move through the progressions and check it down when needed. He also has to stay healthy. The offense goes no where if he can't stay on the field.

Hopefully the defense continues to play at high level and and learn to stop the darn run. With more offensive weapons we are in almost every game and we make a key play or two to win more than we lose.

Crossing the fingers.

just think about this for a sec guys.

Both a very hurt C.J. and not 100 percent Freddie BOTH gained over 900 yds last year behind an average line.

If C.J. stays healthy outside the normal bumps and bruises and if Freddie can remain healthy and the line with all the draft picks can upgrade this Oline to above average we WILL be able to run the ball.

EJ won't have to be Tom Brady. all he has to do is play point guard and get these skill players the rock and move the chains. I think this is why we got Watkins.

Teams are going to have to respect him out the gate. This should open up the field for Woods, Goodwin, Chandler and Williams.

All EJ has to do is hit the open man. Can he do it? We all shall see but the Bills have faith in him that he can do it . I have a wait and see approach about it because I'm not sold on E.J.

But if he does I see no reason why we can't make the playoffs this year.