New Camper

1billsnut

I just bought a new camper today and I am sure that there are some camping masters on here. What are some camper "must haves"? No need to suggest beer.....I got that part covered! Any suggestions welcomed.

Well, where are you at with what you have now? What are the things you want to do? Is it a pull behind camper? An RV type camper? A truck bed camper/sleeper?

Must haves?

A bike for everyone.

A hammock and portable stand that is easy and takes up little to no space.

If it is an RV camper vs. a trailer camper, one of those bumper racks to let you store more gear.

A dedicated GPS system - not just your phone. They're worth every penny when doing serious traveling.

An air pump. Maybe even spring for one of those $70 portable real units like this.

Inflatable mattress - blow up dolls are not that comfortable to sleep on. But, seriously, if you ever end up going somewhere and for whatever reason staying at someone else's place and do not want to use your RV during that time it helps having the mattress.

The simple must haves:

Swiss Army Champion

Leatherman or utility knife

Hatchet

fire starter

Water filtering unit

solar charger for USB devices

stove

portable coffee maker - they make them with gas packs now like you use on a stove

outdoor solar shower

www.campmor.com has a shizzy ton of stuff.

Also makes a difference if you expect to generally stay at campsites with electrical hookups or plan to "bushwhack" out in the boonies where you need to be more "self-contained." The sites with hookups are nice for overnight stays while trying to get to your destination or get home, but I usually prefer to get as far out in the boonies as possible for my actual destination. I like to hike, and with some exceptions, the best hiking trails are often more accessible from smaller, more remote campsites with no hookups. To each his/her own, though.

Jboyst posted a nice list. One thing I would add is tiered-step blocks for 2 wheels. Depending on what type of camper you have, you may need to keep the camper level for a propane-powered fridge to run, for example. The blocks let you use such a fridge in campsites that would otherwise not be flat enough.

Enjoy!

Yeah what kind? and brand new or new to you?

Must haves:

Coffee Pot

Folding CHairs

NIce folding table

Awning lights

Good Portable Grill

Get the leveling Blocks to go under the wheels and if a travel trailer get the small cone thing to crank down the front

If it doesn't have one get one of the covers for the stove top because work space is a permium

I hope it has an awning. That expands your square footage if it rains. I like to use the propane stove outside to keep steam and cooking "odor" out of the sleeping area.

Is it a hard camper or a "popup" tent camper?

I gotta tell ya'll.....I loved everyone of these suggestions. Thanks for the list jboyst, some useful stuff there.

It is a hard camper, and it does have an awning....probably not enough room for a hot tub though. :doh:

edit: I live in Indiana hopefully it will make it to the Ralph for the home opener!!

Edited by 1billsnut

Basic tools. You could go all out fancy and get some good tools, or just go easier and get a quick set already prefabbed up for you. They're generally cheap tools but you can replace them as you break them and/or upgrade as you do.

Tools are a must with camping, something always seems to break:

• duct tape
  • zip ties
  • wd40
  • lighter
  • rope
  • mallet
  • bungees
  • safety pins
  • hammer
  • two crescent wrenches
  • pipe wrench - larger better
  • roll of medium gauge electric wire
  • fire extinguisher
  • gloves
  • nails
  • screwdrivers
  • bolts, nuts & washers
  • flares
  • poncho
  • goggles/safety glasses
  • long sleeve shirt
  • 10x10 or so tarp
  • a good thick or old blanket - I carry furniture blankets
  • convertible saw - awesome for a ton of stuff
  • machette
  • 2 gallon fuel tank
  • 1 gallon of distilled water

those are all considered tools. I have all of that plus some in my truck box 24x7.

Every time I drive in diana from Ohio, there are like a hundred billboards advertising the world's largest camper selection. Indiana must be a campers paradise.

Read it as is above. :lol: Edited by jboyst62

Toilet paper. Without that, you're just a bear sh##ting in the woods.

uh.some of the best stuff I've ever used was not TP. Find a good leaf wad and you'll see. Corn cobs work, too. I avoid oak leaves because I am allergic but maple and elm work good and the oil keeps your bottom soft, too.

uh.some of the best stuff I've ever used was not TP. Find a good leaf wad and you'll see. Corn cobs work, too. I avoid oak leaves because I am allergic but maple and elm work good and the oil keeps your bottom soft, too.

There is a stat I recall reading...

33% of the world uses TP. The other 66% fend for themselves. Here's proof that Boyst is one of the fend for yourself crowd. Yeah, I always thought that the whole 66% fell outside the borders of first world nations... I guess I was wrong.

;-P

There is a stat I recall reading...

33% of the world uses TP. The other 66% fend for themselves. Here's proof that Boyst is one of the fend for yourself crowd. Yeah, I always thought that the whole 66% fell outside the borders of first world nations... I guess I was wrong.

;-P

do you know how much better it feels to use leaves and such? Its up there with wetnaps at the top, bro

I'd done it before but sometimes I'd be so busy I couldn't get to the house to dump. So I just tried. I found a few ways to make it easier and one was simply using a belt or limb.

The only reason I still use the toilet is because its about the only place I check my email anymore

#mybumisshiny