RD3, Pick #73: Preston Brown ILB, Louisville

This is just highlights, so it is deceptive, but he really works through the trash and is a good tackler. There are a lot of pretty impressive plays in this.

watched it twice.

this guy unloads in his tackles. he drops his hips and is very fluid at the movement to make a solid tackle. his angles and ability to target the ball seem sharp. he moves efficiently across the ball, plays like bradham except with fluid movements and a very different body style. he does not waste movement and converts every motion and maneuver to a football move.

this kid needs some work on rounding out his game, specifically it looks like lower body power and strength. i didn't see enough of him backing up and covering so i do not expect anything there - imagine that's probably because he is not good in spaces. definitely looks good in bottlenecks and tight places. sifts out well, looks lost when open.

i am seeing something, the more i watch this, second time now. his feet look like they are in concrete. he looks fast, but maybe it's a flexibility issue or something to do with his balance. he seems to have great balance but maybe it is a strength and conditioning issue.

and he meets these tacklers head on very easily but he doesn't just pancake them like you'd expect. not like brandon spikes or other ilb's. he seems to let the carrier roll to one of his sides.

i guess i like the pick watching that video, i see potential.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just highlights, so it is deceptive, but he really works through the trash and is a good tackler. There are a lot of pretty impressive plays in this.

He tends to tackle high

watched it twice.

this guy unloads in his tackles. he drops his hips and is very fluid at the movement to make a solid tackle. his angles and ability to target the ball seem sharp. he moves efficiently across the ball, plays like bradham except with fluid movements and a very different body style. he does not waste movement and converts every motion and maneuver to a football move.

this kid needs some work on rounding out his game, specifically it looks like lower body power and strength. i didn't see enough of him backing up and covering so i do not expect anything there - imagine that's probably because he is not good in spaces. definitely looks good in bottlenecks and tight places. sifts out well, looks lost when open.

i am seeing something, the more i watch this, second time now. his feet look like they are in concrete. he looks fast, but maybe it's a flexibility issue or something to do with his balance. he seems to have great balance but maybe it is a strength and conditioning issue.

and he meets these tacklers head on very easily but he doesn't just pancake them like you'd expect. not like brandon spikes or other ilb's. he seems to let the carrier roll to one of his sides.

i guess i like the pick watching that video, i see potential.

Nice post.

Seems like a bit of a Zach Thomas type. Much depends on his football IQ. But, it seems he was able to beat blocks a lot and get inside to make the tackle. Perhaps it's his head that is responsible for his feet? Meaning, he's diagnosing/hesitating a bit?

That last game of the year against the Pats was a horror show for the run defense. Blount looked like he was playing against a high school team. While Blount's now in Pitt, the AFCE still added Johnson and Moreno, and the Pats are going more and more run heavy the older Brady gets.

With Spikes and now Brown, Whaley seems to be doing a good job coming up with answers for the poor running defense.

Nice post.

Seems like a bit of a Zach Thomas type. Much depends on his football IQ. But, it seems he was able to beat blocks a lot and get inside to make the tackle. Perhaps it's his head that is responsible for his feet? Meaning, he's diagnosing/hesitating a bit?

movements by my crazy analogies:

Bradham, by comparison is a clumper and thumper. he booms with each step, doesn't do so gracefully, nor does he do so with efficient change of direction or adaptation. but he does not get stuck. he's 4 wheel drive. and that is kind of what you want on the goal line, as long as he has the overall strength to backup the tires

spikes is a wrecking ball, he swings one direction and if you're in front of it you're wrecked. if you're close enough to it to get grazed you are probably not going to be standing, and if you catch a breeze by it going by then it's too late. lucky for spikes, he swings from a short chain and he gets where he needs to be in his combined space.

alonso is a magnet. he finds the ball and gets to it. he is a heavy magnet, and usually heavy enough to bring you down once he makes contact to the carrier but if you're strong enough to break the cling, and just like the radiation from a magnet, kiko will eventually wear you down and outlast you.

anyway, back to less silly posting:

Zach Thomas catches crap for being a bit of a dullard. But, he was hardly a Mike Alstott. Thomas was intelligent and had the ability to match speed, angle, and other factors to make plays; not every athlete can do that (Leodis McKelvin!).

I wouldn't say it is his head over his feet. I would say it is likely in between. He looked quick in the feet, and quick to react and changes movements quickly but...something was there and I would venture to guess it is a core strength issue combined with tightness in his frame. Quads, hips, abductor and aductor. Likely some issues there on the back, I'd like to take a look at his ab strength, because he does a lot of crouching as he tackles. have to have a strong back for that, and no one...ever...works their abs. (which are one solid sheet of muscle, not actually the 8 that people pretend they are, plus there is the intercostals, intracostals, medials, obliques, etc that play hand in hand with that type of thing). although it could be the opposite, he is just extremely body strong and extremely inflexible.

again, if i am on the Bills, first thing i do is get this kid with some NFL calibre training staff. I stretch him out, i loosen him up, i load him up, and i see what bends first.

We want a guy like Zach Thomas? The Miami Dolphins version of Ruben Brown? A guy who went to the Pro Bowl every year despite having no business being there. Thomas missed more tackles than he made. It's a myth to think tackle stats are acurate. They tackled that one on NFL top 10.

We want a guy like Zach Thomas? The Miami Dolphins version of Ruben Brown? A guy who went to the Pro Bowl every year despite having no business being there. Thomas missed more tackles than he made. It's a myth to think tackle stats are acurate. They tackled that one on NFL top 10.

Give me Zach Thomas or Ruben brown in the third round every single year despite what MrLocke thinks about such players

When this team was successful stopping the run in the past it was because they had big guys like Pat Williams, Ted Washington & Sam Adams to keep blocks off of the linebackers. I don't know why Draeus & Kyle get as much credit as they do.

When this team was successful stopping the run in the past it was because they had big guys like Pat Williams, Ted Washington & Sam Adams to keep blocks off of the linebackers. I don't know why Draeus & Kyle get as much credit as they do.

ohh ooooooh oooooooh I got this

37VYoqQ.jpg

Because.....they're good!

Well, if you don't like that, I've read 49ers fans comparing him to another MLB, Patrick Willis.

It's right in the comments of the video. Patrick Willis comparisons are nice. Whether they are accurate? :lol:

Well, if you don't like that, I've read 49ers fans comparing him to another MLB, Patrick Willis.

It's right in the comments of the video. Patrick Willis comparisons are nice. Whether they are accurate? :lol:

see it. with work. nailed it.

damn skippy, it's true.

ohh ooooooh oooooooh I got this

37VYoqQ.jpg

Because.....they're good!

great Pass rushers no doubt. Bills 28th against the run last year, 31st in 2012 & 28th in 2011. DTS are the guys most responsible for run defense this is where the pairing of Kyle & Dareus have rated since they've been paired together.

Yes Patrick Willis is a tad bit more athletic than Zach Thomas.

great Pass rushers no doubt. Bills 28th against the run last year, 31st in 2012 & 28th in 2011. DTS are the guys most responsible for run defense this is where the pairing of Kyle & Dareus have rated since they've been paired together.

Yes Patrick Willis is a tad bit more athletic than Zach Thomas.

frustrated_kid.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1374765735102

no no no.

not if they're assigned to break gaps and penetrate. KW did well a few years ago filling space but it broke him down. and so it should, he's not that kind of DT. but we do have space eaters here and we may get some more. but it's not because they can't, it's because they don't.

see it. with work. nailed it.

damn skippy, it's true.

I mean, if anyone would be able to make an accurate Patrick Willis comparison, I would assume it would be the people who've watched him play every Sunday. But, maybe that's just me?

Imagine if someone asked us to look at somebody and tell if they played like Kiko?

(Of course, no one is capable of playing like Kiko, because Kiko exists in multiple universes at the same time...but still)

This is not a knock on Brown at all...But Willis is an amazingly freaky athlete as an ILB...Brown's raw numbers are no where near Willis'...If he ends up being half the player Willis is we'll all be thrilled... B-)

This is not a knock on Brown at all...But Willis is an amazingly freaky athlete as an ILB...Brown's raw numbers are no where near Willis'...If he ends up being half the player Willis is we'll all be thrilled... B-)

I would assume that if Brown truly approached Willis athletically, we'd have seen him go when Willis did(what was that? 10? 9? I know it was right before the Bills, so we took Poz)

That we are getting a guy with the potential to be, let's say 75% of Willis, in the 3rd? I'll take it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo