How to deal with XM/Sirius and how to hear Howard/Billy Joel

bbb

I actually have paid for XM for the last year without being able to use it. I just never get around to calling them, because I know it's going to take hours or frustration. Everybody I know who has to deal with their customer service, including me in the past, has been driven crazy and have got nowhere.

Anybody know a good number or anything to call for them?

And, since mine isn't working, I wasn't able to listen to this Monday, but would love to find out if it is out there anywhere. I'd be willing to pay for it if it's in podcast form or anything like that:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/9-things-we-learned-about-billy-joel-at-howard-sterns-town-hall-20140428?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

I actually have paid for XM for the last year without being able to use it. I just never get around to calling them, because I know it's going to take hours or frustration. Everybody I know who has to deal with their customer service, including me in the past, has been driven crazy and have got nowhere.

Anybody know a good number or anything to call for them?

And, since mine isn't working, I wasn't able to listen to this Monday, but would love to find out if it is out there anywhere. I'd be willing to pay for it if it's in podcast form or anything like that:

http://www.rollingst...aign=newsletter

I'll PM you when its available. Every Howard Stern show for the last 5 years is available online in secret squirrel spots.

I could probably even send your the file. I do record the shows on my Stiletto - of which I have 5 backups for. I have 2 lifetime subs, my dad has 1. He got his for $499, I got my first one for $299 and second for $399. I got when the getting was good right out of the bat.

As for calling them, check the interwebs. There are entire sites dedicated with the best ways to reach businesses.

Sirius is here

Also, there is this: http://gethuman.com/...irius-XM-Radio/

When there was an issue and my 3rd sub ran out for a friend of mine I didn't bother trying to cancel it. I just called my credit card company and told them to cancel payments to Sirius. After two months they called and said I owe them money. I told them the radio didn't work and I wasn't going to pay. I explained the reason I did not call was because I knew it would take an hour to cancel it and if I made them call me it'd be fixed in minutes. It was, and after reinforcing to them that I would never, ever pay the $20ish they wanted they said that they'd wave it.

FWIW, I am pretty much an expert in dealing with getting thru to people on the phone or getting the most of using the telephone. If I need information on a product from Best Buy and they're closed at 1am? I call Hawaii Best Buy and ask them to look something up. Or, if I need to deal with something generally done thru corporate, I call a branch in a major city and play dumb until they either help me or connect me directly to someone in corporate who will.

Edited by jboyst62

PM me if you want my super secret way of listening to Sirius/XM online every day....but don't tell everyone I am doing this for you. and fwiw, the billy joel town hall was pretty awesome. great stories, great performances(melissa etheridge, pink, boys to men to name a few) Howard cockblocked a couple stories as he is wont to do to keep the flow going but for the most part it was a great show

oh thread title is deceiving! I was hoping to hear how to stick it to them. I think our 6 month renewal is up soon and either have to cancel or try o beat them up...it is truely only worth 5 or 6 bucks a month to me!

oh thread title is deceiving! I was hoping to hear how to stick it to them. I think our 6 month renewal is up soon and either have to cancel or try o beat them up...it is truely only worth 5 or 6 bucks a month to me!

9 years with Sirius...something like $3/month now is what I have averaged so far. Like a boss.

I'll PM you when its available. Every Howard Stern show for the last 5 years is available online in secret squirrel spots.

I could probably even send your the file. I do record the shows on my Stiletto - of which I have 5 backups for. I have 2 lifetime subs, my dad has 1. He got his for $499, I got my first one for $299 and second for $399. I got when the getting was good right out of the bat.

As for calling them, check the interwebs. There are entire sites dedicated with the best ways to reach businesses.

Sirius is here

Also, there is this: http://gethuman.com/...irius-XM-Radio/

When there was an issue and my 3rd sub ran out for a friend of mine I didn't bother trying to cancel it. I just called my credit card company and told them to cancel payments to Sirius. After two months they called and said I owe them money. I told them the radio didn't work and I wasn't going to pay. I explained the reason I did not call was because I knew it would take an hour to cancel it and if I made them call me it'd be fixed in minutes. It was, and after reinforcing to them that I would never, ever pay the $20ish they wanted they said that they'd wave it.

FWIW, I am pretty much an expert in dealing with getting thru to people on the phone or getting the most of using the telephone. If I need information on a product from Best Buy and they're closed at 1am? I call Hawaii Best Buy and ask them to look something up. Or, if I need to deal with something generally done thru corporate, I call a branch in a major city and play dumb until they either help me or connect me directly to someone in corporate who will.

Thanks - looking forward to the PM.

That gethuman is cool. I'm going to give it a try.

That's some good ways you've come up to deal with this type of stuff.........Is it just people I know (and myself) who have found XM/Sirius to be the worst, or is this a common notion?

I wasn't impressed by the music, especially the duet with Pink. They kept missing who was supposed to sing when, and her singing was weak. It would have been better if he just sang all the songs himself. And Howard seemed off his game; sounded nervous, and the crew gave him a bunch of incorrect facts that Billy denied. And Billy thought the piano sounded bad.

I wasn't impressed by the music, especially the duet with Pink. They kept missing who was supposed to sing when, and her singing was weak. It would have been better if he just sang all the songs himself. And Howard seemed off his game; sounded nervous, and the crew gave him a bunch of incorrect facts that Billy denied. And Billy thought the piano sounded bad.

Wow, do you sound like your avatar. Talk about taking a fantastic show and completely misconstruing it.

The whole charm of the thing was the organic way in which other performers either sang with Billy or performed their own renditions.

If the above is really all you got out of this, that's just sad.

I'm so jealous, Jeff. Been kicking myself for years I didn't jump on the lifetime sub deal.

9 years with Sirius...something like $3/month now is what I have averaged so far. Like a boss.

It's amazing how easy it is to negotiate down their subscription rate. One simple call saying you want to cancel and they immediately cut the rate by 3/4ths.

It's amazing how easy it is to negotiate down their subscription rate. One simple call saying you want to cancel and they immediately cut the rate by 3/4ths.

I didn't even bother doing that, though. I just bought the lifetimes when they were first offered. The first two years Sirius was out they offered lifetimes for $199 and you could forward it to two radios. Then it went to $299, same deal. Then $399, and you had to pay $50 every time you transferred to a radio. And last I heard it went to $699 before they just cancelled Lifetimes.

What really is !@#$ed up: Because Sirius no longer exists my lifetime contract with Sirius XM means nada. I can still forward to a Sirius unit but I cannot forward to a new radio they offer that has the Sirius XM configuration.

I didn't even bother doing that, though. I just bought the lifetimes when they were first offered. The first two years Sirius was out they offered lifetimes for $199 and you could forward it to two radios. Then it went to $299, same deal. Then $399, and you had to pay $50 every time you transferred to a radio. And last I heard it went to $699 before they just cancelled Lifetimes.

What really is !@#$ed up: Because Sirius no longer exists my lifetime contract with Sirius XM means nada. I can still forward to a Sirius unit but I cannot forward to a new radio they offer that has the Sirius XM configuration.

I'm relatively new to XM. It's been about 4 years now, so I guess I missed out on a lifetime thing by a wide margin. But still, I'm amazed how drastically they cut the rates if you threaten to leave. You'd think it would at least take a little negotiation, but no. Their first offer has always been something I've been very happy with, but I think I'll put up a little more of a fight next time to see how low they'll really go.

I'm relatively new to XM. It's been about 4 years now, so I guess I missed out on a lifetime thing by a wide margin. But still, I'm amazed how drastically they cut the rates if you threaten to leave. You'd think it would at least take a little negotiation, but no. Their first offer has always been something I've been very happy with, but I think I'll put up a little more of a fight next time to see how low they'll really go.

Any revenue coming is good for them. It takes a lot of money to run the product and regardless if 10 people or 100,000,000 people are listening it takes the same amount of resources to broadcast and operate. That's why they cave on pricing.

i let my subscription run out earlier this year against my better judgement....hadn't listened to my home unit since end of january. today i decide to turn it on and it is working, so i set it on the grateful dead channel and just use it as background music....about 3 hours later it went off and i got the call to subscribe notice on the display...i am kind of surprised they monitor the units being on and off that closely...unless it was just a buffer that even when the unit is idle it will update on its own when you turn it back on.

i let my subscription run out earlier this year against my better judgement....hadn't listened to my home unit since end of january. today i decide to turn it on and it is working, so i set it on the grateful dead channel and just use it as background music....about 3 hours later it went off and i got the call to subscribe notice on the display...i am kind of surprised they monitor the units being on and off that closely...unless it was just a buffer that even when the unit is idle it will update on its own when you turn it back on.

They don't monitor the units at all. The unit does not broadcast any signal unless you connect it to wifi if you have a Stiletto.

What Sirius does - from talking to them - they send updates constantly to inactivate a radio. The software, from my best understanding, is already on the radio and always receiving all of the channels but without "activation" it will not allow you to access them. Similarly when your contract goes out or you cancel your radio will get signal to "deactivate." They send that signal out for a few months to deactivate your radio - using the serial number - and then less frequently after that.

I have a radio I stopped using 4 years ago when the dial broke but I can still use the remote control. I forwarded the sub and did not use that radio for over a year. I plugged it in and it still works and gets the signal. I use it in my car now and technically have a bootleg third unit that never got the deactivation signal. It'll catch up one of these days.