Bills Easter Musings-- add your own...

JoeF

Happy Easter my friends....

My thoughts today as we celebrate the rising of the savior for my fellow christians and eat lots of pastel died candy..first I hope you spend the day surrounded by loved ones with lots of laughter, hugs and fun. Yes, these wishes extend even to the crumudgeons, like well -- most of you old timers (like me).

Musings today (add your own or trash mine):

1) Bon Jovi was the highest grossing concert artist last year, grossing over $200 million on all sell out shows. Wonder if he has considered the villian reputation he would get from moving an NFL franchise from a decent and loyal city that has alumni all around the country. Face it-- he's an aging artist who gets by some on nostalgia -- people my age (53) and a little younger and older, trying to recapture youth for a night. Wonder how it would feel to have medium sized (50 or more people) protests at every concert. Bills fans are a boisterous, obnoxious (probably a bit hammered) group. Reputation seems to matter a lot to John Francis Bongiovi. Moving the Bills won't enhance that. Worse --there may be a larger backlash -- like the anger felt from fans around the league for the Irsays and Art Modell.

2) I like the fact that EJ got the boys together in California for workouts. What's even more impressive is that he scripted every route and every play according to Brandon Kauffman. EJ wants to be a star. That's about 60% of the challenge -- he is mentally there. The other 40% is a combination of quick recognition, supreme confidence on the field, accuracy and durability. We are going to find out this year if he can step up in the QB skills piece of this. A lot of accuracy is footwork; a lot of recognition is knowing where you are going to put the ball before its snapped. He struggles with both areas...only game reps can help these two skills in my opinion.

3) With new ownership, Marrone and Whaley have to be in win now mode. I would hope the new ownership would give them time, but that's probably not very realistic. They are taking some risks with a reputed me first guy in Spikes and Mr. "off the field transgressions" Mike WIlliams...but both are essentially cheap one year deals..If the Bills don't break .500 they are in trouble and its too bad...I think their working relationship and their skills will help build a winner just maybe not in 2014--particularly if EJ can't step up.

4) I think the Bills are set at the safety position but will draft a corner. Corey Graham has really good range, read and recognition skills and will thrive in the position. Its time for him to make this transition. The great thing is that on slot downs -- he can slide down to a corner slot if teams go 4 wide and pick up a slot receiver. Not worried about our secondary but I do believe the Bills draft a corner early to challenge Ron Brooks. Nickell Robey is a diamond -- who will continue to see the field on over 50% of the D snaps.

5) I will miss Jairus Byrd, but watching the film Byrd made a lot of interceptions on overthrows. Only a couple of times like the 2012 Miami game his interceptions were on what would have been great throws but his tremendous recognition and range got him to the ball. The Bills will miss this, especially early in the season -- but I think a combination of Aaron Williams improvement and Corey Graham learning the role will allow the Bills to miss it less than we think. Remember that the Bills problems in the secondary last year early in the year were related to Justin Rogers inability to cover -- just huge burns -- see Ted Ginn TD against the Panthers...some of that is Safety help -- but most of its corner.

6) As to the draft...I think the Bills have 6 positions rated highly for the first four rounds...these are DE, LB, OT, TE, WR, CB-- who over is rated highest on their board at these positions when the picks are due will be drafted. Its a combination of BPA crossed with need. This draft is 4 rounds deep with 2nd round talent from all accounts....it should be a good infusion of talent -- but every team has the same opportunity.

7) The Jim Kelly involvement with Trump gives me a whole different, much more positive take on The Donald's ownership. Jim and Mr. Trump met as a result of the USFL and have always gotten a long well. The idea at the end of the league was to take the Gamblers and NJ Generals talent, merge it and then go into the NFL. My boss at the Gamblers actually offered me a job with the new team if it all worked out (I would have jumped at it). Sadly it didn't work out but it formed a great Kelly/Trump bond.

If I recall, Jim had signed a personal services contract with Mr. Trump in advance of a team being formed -- They graciouslly agreed to terminate it when the idea of a combined team fell apart and Jim came to Buffalo. However the bond was formed. The biggest hurdle to this ownership group is the other NFL owners -- but I think this is where Jim can carry the most positive impact--Jim's involvement will help get this proposed ownership through the other owners. Jim can portray better than anyone what Mr. Wilson wanted for the future of the franchise and the other owners will respect that. That will trump Trump's bad reputation.

8) Its been a sad year so far with Mr. Wilson's passing and Jim Kelly's cancer -- on this day of resurrection and renewal, if you are moved, say a little prayer for both families.

9) The Bills first preseason game is against the Giants -- what's that mean--bad news for the Giants (Sorry I watched the old style Bad News Bears last night)....OTAs start Tuesday -- draft in less than three weeks...hope you are tanned, rested and ready my friends.

Edited by JoeF

I didn't have a chance to post this on Easter, but I really enjoyed reading this, OP.

BTW, I had shared insight into the Byrd situation that I had back when he signed with NO. It was met with some criticism on the board, I guess because posters didn't think it was valid, but it is real info. PM me if you are interested.