Round 1 - 2014 NFL Draft Mock

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also listed three WRs.

Odd, odd post.

I was thinking the same thing. If you want to make a point with facts to support it you'd think that you actually use facts. I think that the evolution of the passing game in college has both QBs and WR more prepared to come in a play. Watkins is a special talent and a safe pick for whoever gets him. Evans comes with a little more risk but could end up being a star. Either way I fully expect them both to go in the top 10 like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

Thanks for added info - AJ Green was well worthy of a Top 5 pick, but the other 2 seem to support being against a WR in the Top 10, let alone first round.

Austin was in his rookie season, STL QB situation is as bad as the Bills. Crabtree has improved every season. He was hurt most of last year but the three seasons prior his numbers improved. His last full season 2012 he had 85 catches 1100 yards and 9 tds. He's not Megatron but who is?

Edited by Section242

I was thinking the same thing. If you want to make a point with facts to support it you'd think that you actually use facts.

Here you go Mr. Jackson:

Historically - the Bills have only drafted 4 WRs with the First Round pick, most recently Eric Moulds (1996) and Lee Evans (2004). The closest one before those two was in in 1982. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_first-round_draft_picks

Excellent ESPN article which goes into detail on how the Bills depth at WR is one of the best in the league (this is BEFORE the Mike Williams acquisition): http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/6242/bills-positional-review-wide-receivers

For those of you who are keen on analytics & supported data - http://www.drafttek.com/ breaks down draft prospects based on historical data, franchise history, current rosters & team needs based on statistical analysis, and beyond. Based on their data, Marqise Lee even grades out better than Evans.

Here you go Mr. Jackson:

Historically - the Bills have only drafted 4 WRs with the First Round pick, most recently Eric Moulds (1996) and Lee Evans (2004). The closest one before those two was in in 1982. http://en.wikipedia....und_draft_picks

Excellent ESPN article which goes into detail on how the Bills depth at WR is one of the best in the league (this is BEFORE the Mike Williams acquisition): http://espn.go.com/b...-wide-receivers

For those of you who are keen on analytics & supported data - http://www.drafttek....ek.com/ breaks down draft prospects based on historical data, franchise history, current rosters & team needs based on statistical analysis, and beyond. Based on their data, Marqise Lee even grades out better than Evans.

Before the season they ranked the Bills WR highly. After Rodak admitted he was too generous.

The Bills have historically drafted a lot of defensive backs and running backs, does that make them more likely to draft one this year? Scouts INC ranks Watkins higher than Julio Jones but less than A.J. Green at the time they came out. Evans and Jones were given the same grade.

With the trade for Williams I don't think the Bills will be looking for a WR in the 1st but I don't think it rules out the possibility if Evans or Watkins are available.

With the trade for Williams I don't think the Bills will be looking for a WR in the 1st but I don't think it rules out the possibility if Evans or Watkins are available.

If Watkins were to fall - I believe then that we would select him if given the opportunity. ONLY based on the fact that he has publicly commented on being a fan of the team since childhood.

Other than that? I believe this team has too obvious of needs for us to speculate & assume we "need" a WR threat. Wide-receivers only pan out as well as the player throwing them the ball. IF EJ steps up & shows he is the future this year, then we can begin to discuss FA receivers & acquiring threats via the draft.

It's a shame that teams caught on the Khalil Mack, recognizing his talent as a Top 2 or 3 this year.....months ago I was salivating that he could be available #9....

I'd be one to bet that he, along with Watkins will be gone at #9 overall....leaving us to decide between trading back, drafting Robinson/Matthews (if there), or "reaching" on Eric Ebron.

In the last 4 years, only 2 WRs total have been taken in the Top 10. DHB in 2009, Julio in 2011 and Justin Blackmon in 2012.

I can't handle this post.

1. That number isn't even true. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Justin Blackmon and Tavon Austin do no equal two.

2. You said two, then listed three players.

3. You said the last four years but listed a player from five years ago.

Get it together.

I would much rather take OL in Round 1 maybe Robinson and draft TE Troy Niklas from ND in the 2nd....excellent blocker can compliment Chandler well

That's how I'm leaning. This team is going to be very run-oriented. We need to improve the line first and foremost- they just weren't good enough last season by a mile. Getting someone like Robinson or Matthews in the 1st instantly gives us 2 stud bookend OT's for the next decade, improves our run and pass blocking, & adds versatility (Matthews can play any position on the line.. even long snap)

Then grabbing Niklas in the 2nd gives us the best of the both worlds. TE is our second biggest need behind o-line. Niklas is the most dominating blocker of this TE class. He is one of the few that actually played along the line and has the size to take on DE's (6'6 / 270lb):

Outstanding size with a well-proportioned, muscular build. Big target over the middle and in the red zone. Athletic with flexible hips and knees to run the full tight end route tree. Bursts into routes and stretches the seam. Good hands. Has playmaking ability. Lined up flexed and in-line. Good potential as a blocker. Bends his knees, shuffles and fans rushers wide. Works well in tandem and can combo block effectively. Takes care of his body and maintains low body fat. Has NFL bloodlines.

Very few of these top TE's have experience blocking in-line. A Matthews/Niklas combo really would vault this offense into a new level. Niklas has that Gronkowski type body and would be an absolute beast in the redzone. Adding him with Mike Williams gives us two new redzone weapons & still lets us upgrade the line

Matthews/Robinson in 1st and Crichton in 2nd would be a solid draft. If a dude can dream I'd take Clowney and Kouindjio in the first 2 rounds if it cost me Spiller and next years 2nd rounder. Pass rusher and OT are Bills biggest needs given Marrone's style. Another workhorse back probably right behind.

Matthews/Robinson in 1st and Crichton in 2nd would be a solid draft. If a dude can dream I'd take Clowney and Kouindjio in the first 2 rounds if it cost me Spiller and next years 2nd rounder. Pass rusher and OT are Bills biggest needs given Marrone's style. Another workhorse back probably right behind.

Crichton's stock is all over. Might be able to get him in the third.

When did this draft get deep @ tackle ??? there are 5-7 very good talents... that's it ! Wait until the second and maybe you'll be waiting until next year

Uh... What? 5-7 very good talents is deep... Do you want 30?

Matthews/Robinson in 1st and Crichton in 2nd would be a solid draft.

It's looking like one of the two will be falling to #9....would consider this an A pick for Marrone & Whaley Round 1. Based on Marrone's history as an OL coach, it wouldn't surprised me AND he'll be able to mold either (or Lewan) into a solid contributor.

I would be very excited if the Bills had Evans available at 9 and drafted him. I just don't think it will happen. I will be just as happy with Jake Matthews or any of the other 4 players I believe are elite in this draft - Robinson, Mack, Watkins, and Clowney. I am starting to think OT is a bigger need than WR. I love Evans' potential and I still feel like EJ could benefit from a bigger target that can create a mismatch. But that could be added in as a TE. We do have some big WRs on the roster already and they aren't as highly touted as Evans but I think this will be an area they go elsewhere because they have bigger needs on the OL, as that will play just as much into the success of not only EJ but the running game.

There are several playoff teams who don't have a #1 WR over 6'2. KC, SD, Indy, Carolina. If they can catch the ball and the TE is used right and can be an end zone target, I think the big/tall WR target isn't as crucial.

I would be very excited if the Bills had Evans available at 9 and drafted him. I just don't think it will happen. I will be just as happy with Jake Matthews or any of the other 4 players I believe are elite in this draft - Robinson, Mack, Watkins, and Clowney. I am starting to think OT is a bigger need than WR. I love Evans' potential and I still feel like EJ could benefit from a bigger target that can create a mismatch. But that could be added in as a TE. We do have some big WRs on the roster already and they aren't as highly touted as Evans but I think this will be an area they go elsewhere because they have bigger needs on the OL, as that will play just as much into the success of not only EJ but the running game.

There are several playoff teams who don't have a #1 WR over 6'2. KC, SD, Indy, Carolina. If they can catch the ball and the TE is used right and can be an end zone target, I think the big/tall WR target isn't as crucial.

Highly doubt a WR or TE is in play for pick #9. Williams, Johnson, and Woods are a solid top 3 with Goodwin as a deep threat. Chandler is an adequate TE. Given Marrone's preference for running the ball, improving the run game is more of a need at this point. OL and a younger version of Freddy are biggest needs on offense.

Edited by BuffaloRebound