A Season To Remember...

It's been quite a trying offseason here in Bills Country. Not that we've had many bright moments in these parts over the last decade and a half, but you all know what I'm referring to. Being a Bills fan has rarely been easy, yet we, the die-hards, always stay the course.

We come back, year after year, even after our hopes get sky-high every offseason. Throughout this 14 year playoff drought, there have been a handful of years where the Bills have teased us with brilliance. The 5-1 start in 2008, the 9-6 year where all we had to do was beat Steeler 3rd stringers, and the 3-0 post-beating New England for the first time in eight seasons.

Yet for whatever reason, whether it'd be injuries, schedule, etc. The Bills haven't been able to put together a season to write home about since 1999. Yes, that's a long time, in case you're keeping score. Just to paint a picture for you on a personal level: I've been through two marriages, and welcomed three beautiful children into my life since the Bills last playoff game in Tennessee. I think about that alot...and it's just as unbelievable as the last time I've thought about it.

I try not to use the word "embarrassed" when I tell people who my favorite NFL team is. However, every passing year, it's increasingly harder not to use this word and to not feel that way. How does a professional sports team, in this day and age, miss year after year. Not just on draft picks, but free-agents, coaches, front office personel. You name it, this franchise has blundered it over the last 14 years.

Now, here's where the story changes. This year is different. It HAS to be! I understand that this isn't a movie. There isn't always happy endings in real life. But the Buffalo Bills, their sometimes WAY too loyal fan base, this community, Mr. Wilson (god rest his soul), and our hero who is fighting the most important battle of his life, Jim Kelly, deserve a good ending...for once!

This season will be ran on pure emotion. In an era where money and egos far too often control far too much, the 53 men who make the final cut in August, have an enormous responsibility that await them beginning the following month.

Forget who is lining up across from you. Forget the you face possibly the greatest quarterback of all time twice a year. Forget about trying to right a 14 year wrong...

This season is about two men. Two GREAT men who did give us some great memories. We don't know how much longer we have a football team that will be this much a part of our lives. But Mr. Wilson and Mr. Kelly, if nobody else, deserve a season to remember...

GO BILLS!

Damn. You mentioned your timeline of the past 14 season and it just made me think of mine. I went from a sophomore in HS to married with 2 kids. Good post and I'm sure the fans will be doing their best as always to be the 12th man while the other 11 leave it all on the field.