Which Jim Kelly Jersey to Purchase?

Which Jim Kelly Jersey to Purchase  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jim Kelly Jersey to Purchase?

JohnnyGold wrote a well written post in the "Today I Cried Thread" and it got me thinking....How do I "not" have a Jim Kelly jersey? He always has and will always be my favorite player/Buffalo Bill. Like many of you, he's my hero. His name and number will never fade and will always have relevance. I'm rooting for him now more than any other time due to his present battle.

The jerseys have meaning (to us) and are not cheap by any standards. They're an investment both financially and emotionally. This will be the last jersey I purchase barring unforeseen damage. Thus, I want the real deal (not a replica, not a jersey for $20 from an overseas distributor).

The home jersey represents the home standing Bills, the cool, fall crisp air, tailgating at it's best. Nothing is better than a home Bills game and everything the day brings. This jersey is also significantly cheaper.

The Super Bowl XXV version defines Jim Kelly - a blue collar fighter that achieves success coupled with endured hardship, a leader that rises to the occasion.

Help me decide which jersey to purchase for the final time, to wear every Sunday from here on out, to pull for Jim.

http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx

http://www.nflshop.c..._Jersey_-_White

Based off my experience (and I own the Blue one) I would advise you to not buy either. The "Throwback Replica" jersey is generic as Fack. The numbers will not be double stitched. They are a plasticky material and not cloth.

Now here's the kicker, when Jim played, those jerseys didn't have the double stitched numbers. But theses ones are not nice. After a few years the colors on the numbers faded and I had a buddy (who owned an embroidery shop) put on new numbers for me. He severely overcharged me and the numbers were all crooked. But they are double stitch now so I'm a little happier.

I don't know which ones to buy but I wouldn't recommend those at all. But since you might have your mind made up already to buy one, go with the home jersey, not just because it's the home jersey, it's also 100 less and since it's not an "official jersey" anyway, it won't matter. Save the 100 and get the blue.

But you have been warned regarding the Throwback Replica jersey.

I have the Mitchell & Ness SB XXV jersey...I have never worn it...but it sure looks sweet!

All this jersey talk reminded me of something. I don't want to start another jersey thread, so here goes:

Does anyone remember when jerseys started to become more prevalant among fan ware? The first one I remember seeing, worn by a fan, not a player, was my brothers (now) ex-wife had a really sweet Lou Piccone jersey in 1980. We would go to games, and everyone would comment on it. She was a petite girl, and while it was a little big on her, it wasn't a real Piccone jersey. I just don't remember people wearing them very commonly. If somebody had one in the stands, it really stood out. Whenever I see old NFL films stuff from the 70's I never see them in the crowd shots. Anyone know the history?

Edited by Buftex

From Mrags post it sounds like you should take the time to visit your local sporting goods superstores and check out the jerseys in person before ordering online. And surprisingly, you actually sometimes even can save money buying locally. There are only a few legitimate manufactures and they will all be available for your personal examination. Make sure you buy a quality jersey that will make you feel proud for years to come.

Edited by simpleman

From Mrags post it sounds like you should visit take the time to visit your local sporting goods superstores and check out the jerseys in person before ordering online. And surprisingly, you actually might sometimes even save money buying locally. There are only a few legitimate manufactures and they will all be available for your personal examination. Make sure you buy a quality jersey that will make you feel proud for years.

yes. That is correct.

My story was a little long but was forever memorable with being upset with my $150 purchase.

I have both AND University of Miami orange jerseys.

Just need a Houston Gambler to complete the set.

I have about 18 different Bills jerseys. I rarely wear them anymore (too fat for most of them!), though when I do, it is a Chris Spielman (fits me best) or a Lee Evans home jersey...the only two authentics I have are the Kelly SB XXV Mitchell & Ness, and a Mitchell & Ness Joe Cribbs. I had a Joe Ferguson, but I gave it to my brother, to wear to SB XXVIII...saw him on tv with it, and that is the last time I ever saw it! Personally, I prefer the cheaper, replicas, with the iron on numbers. I know they aren't as cool, but besides being cheaper, they are much moe comfortable to wear.

At one time, I toyed with the idea of getting college jerseys of my favorite Bills players, just so I would have a variety...like the idea of a Houston Gamblers jersey.

Not sure of your size Chandler#81, but if you are a big guy, this might not be a bad price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-with-Tags-Rare-Jim-Kelly-USFL-Houston-Gamblers-Jersey-XXL-2XL-Buffalo-Bills-/291107933796?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43c7628e64#ht_234wt_1153

JohnnyGold wrote a well written post in the "Today I Cried Thread" and it got me thinking....How do I "not" have a Jim Kelly jersey? He always has and will always be my favorite player/Buffalo Bill. Like many of you, he's my hero. His name and number will never fade and will always have relevance. I'm rooting for him now more than any other time due to his present battle.

The jerseys have meaning (to us) and are not cheap by any standards. They're an investment both financially and emotionally. This will be the last jersey I purchase barring unforeseen damage. Thus, I want the real deal (not a replica, not a jersey for $20 from an overseas distributor).

The home jersey represents the home standing Bills, the cool, fall crisp air, tailgating at it's best. Nothing is better than a home Bills game and everything the day brings. This jersey is also significantly cheaper.

The Super Bowl XXV version defines Jim Kelly - a blue collar fighter that achieves success coupled with endured hardship, a leader that rises to the occasion.

Help me decide which jersey to purchase for the final time, to wear every Sunday from here on out, to pull for Jim.

http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx

http://www.nflshop.c..._Jersey_-_White

Take you money for the jersey and send it to cancer research. That would be the most important thing you could do for Jim.

Take you money for the jersey and send it to cancer research. That would be the most important thing you could do for Jim.

Great idea. And thanks to all for the advice!

I have the Mitchell & Ness SB XXV jersey...I have never worn it...but it sure looks sweet!

All this jersey talk reminded me of something. I don't want to start another jersey thread, so here goes:

Does anyone remember when jerseys started to become more prevalant among fan ware? The first one I remember seeing, worn by a fan, not a player, was my brothers (now) ex-wife had a really sweet Lou Piccone jersey in 1980. We would go to games, and everyone would comment on it. She was a petite girl, and while it was a little big on her, it wasn't a real Piccone jersey. I just don't remember people wearing them very commonly. If somebody had one in the stands, it really stood out. Whenever I see old NFL films stuff from the 70's I never see them in the crowd shots. Anyone know the history?

Why do you not wear it? Is it framed?

You didn't see them because there was no such thing as NFL Merchandise back then.

There may have been fans wearing buttons and waving pennants about then, but player jerseys did not come around until the late 70's.

Why do you not wear it? Is it framed?

I got a really good deal on it years ago. Brand new, with tags. I am a pretty big guy..I tried it on once, and it was too snug...I haven't gotten any smaller! It's not framed or anything, but perhaps, one day.

JohnnyGold wrote a well written post in the "Today I Cried Thread" and it got me thinking....How do I "not" have a Jim Kelly jersey? He always has and will always be my favorite player/Buffalo Bill. Like many of you, he's my hero. His name and number will never fade and will always have relevance. I'm rooting for him now more than any other time due to his present battle. The jerseys have meaning (to us) and are not cheap by any standards. They're an investment both financially and emotionally. This will be the last jersey I purchase barring unforeseen damage. Thus, I want the real deal (not a replica, not a jersey for $20 from an overseas distributor). The home jersey represents the home standing Bills, the cool, fall crisp air, tailgating at it's best. Nothing is better than a home Bills game and everything the day brings. This jersey is also significantly cheaper. The Super Bowl XXV version defines Jim Kelly - a blue collar fighter that achieves success coupled with endured hardship, a leader that rises to the occasion. Help me decide which jersey to purchase for the final time, to wear every Sunday from here on out, to pull for Jim. http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx http://www.nflshop.c..._Jersey_-_White

Keep in mind that the 2 jersey’s you provided links to for are different levels of quality and that’s why they are different prices. The white one is an authentic jersey and will be the best quality. The blue one is only a replithentic, which would be a step down. The lowest step is the replica. At least both of your choices will have sewn on #s rather than screen print although the replithentic may have the plastic type #s mrags referred to. You can google the differences between the different jersey levels as well. You may want to look at each level in person before you place an order to make sure you like what you get. Also, I am 99.99% positive you’ll be able to find either one of these in all 3 levels jersey’s come in, it just may take some digging, so I wouldn’t let the price dictate which one you buy. I’ve also seen the blue JK jerseys with the 75th NFL and 35th Bills anniversary patches.

Something else to keep in mind when you make this decision…how often do you plan to wear this jersey? This may seem kind of dumb reasoning but the blue one will be easier for you to keep clean. If the white one gets stained, it’s going to be much more visible. It will suck if you or even worse someone else drops a chicken wing or spills something on you and it gets stained. I speak from experience on that.

Good luck in your searching!!

I got a really good deal on it years ago. Brand new, with tags. I am a pretty big guy..I tried it on once, and it was too snug...I haven't gotten any smaller! It's not framed or anything, but perhaps, one day.

Good deal. I should say I do have one Kelly jersey. However, it has signatures.....One being Jim Kelly. I got his autograph as a kid at Fredonia. Felt great that day until Lonnie Johnson signed it.....His autograph went right through Kelly's. Before I got Kelly's I had others sign the jersey first. Jeff Burris said he wouldn't sign another player's jersey. Still an amazing day. Jim was engulfed in his golf cart by fans. Great memory from growing up.

Keep in mind that the 2 jersey’s you provided links to for are different levels of quality and that’s why they are different prices. The white one is an authentic jersey and will be the best quality. The blue one is only a replithentic, which would be a step down. The lowest step is the replica. At least both of your choices will have sewn on #s rather than screen print although the replithentic may have the plastic type #s mrags referred to. You can google the differences between the different jersey levels as well. You may want to look at each level in person before you place an order to make sure you like what you get. Also, I am 99.99% positive you’ll be able to find either one of these in all 3 levels jersey’s come in, it just may take some digging, so I wouldn’t let the price dictate which one you buy. I’ve also seen the blue JK jerseys with the 75th NFL and 35th Bills anniversary patches.

Something else to keep in mind when you make this decision…how often do you plan to wear this jersey? This may seem kind of dumb reasoning but the blue one will be easier for you to keep clean. If the white one gets stained, it’s going to be much more visible. It will suck if you or even worse someone else drops a chicken wing or spills something on you and it gets stained. I speak from experience on that.

Good luck in your searching!!

Great input! I'll wear it on Sundays during the season. The white looks outstanding. But the negligent chicken wing mishap could ruin everything.

Edited by KellyToTasker

Not the jersey but as close as I could find!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400380562983?lpid=82

Really rooting for Jimbo!!

Not the jersey but as close as I could find!

http://www.ebay.com/...0562983?lpid=82

HERE YOU GO!!

http://www.throwbackgamejerseys.com/12-jim-kelly-houston-gamblers-usfl-qb-white-throwback-jers12.html

http://www.throwbackgamejerseys.com/12-jim-kelly-houston-gamblers-usfl-qb-black-throwback-jers12.html

I still contend that our all white uniforms of the 60's, 90's, and 2011+ are the best looking of all time. you can take everything from the 70's and early 80's and burn them to ashes...

I love the early 80's uniforms...and the current ones.