Punting?

oman128

I think we can agree Brian Moorman was a fantastic punter for the Buffalo Bills however I think its time has passed, we need to have a competition for the punting duties. No wasting draft picks on punters.

How about spending a draft pick on the best punter prospect you can find? Where else do you expect to find a punter - retreads and has-beens?

Actually, I think Moorman is almost the punter he once was. It's just that the quality of punting has improved so much in the last 5-7 yrs.

I think if we improve his supporting cast, Moorman should still be capable of being a midline punter.

Can we improve upon that? Yes, it would be nice, but there are other areas in more urgent need of upgrading. Specifically our returns are terrible, which is especially disconcerting given that we have returners who've excelled in the past.

The coverage was horrible and he was concentrating only on hang time per Crossman's orders. Great guy and a great Bill by almost all accounts. That being said... an upgrade would be an intelligent idea.

Edited by SmokinES3

My favorite Moorman showing was in one of those totally bogus NFL skills competitions a few years back at a Pro Bowl. The comp was in theory designed to demand players who manned a variety of NFL positions to not only speed, but also, strength, bulk, agility, jumping ability etc.

Moorman added superior intellect by simply ignoring pushing a huge blocking sled (a feat which required OL/DL size and power) and simply ran across the finish line fir the sled task. The rules only called for a 5 second penalty for not pushing the sled over line (and thus explicitly allowing a competitor to do nothing but push the sled off its original mounting.

He won the ensuing argument and thus the competition.

You are correct that physically he is not where he used to be and IMHO virtually ALL players should be forced into a real competition in camp. However, Moorman has demonstrated he is the type of player who can lose a step in physical ability but gain half a step back in mental ability. Our ST players were bad enough last year it is clear ST Coach Crossman could use some help on the field and Moorman has been around the NFL long enough that though his speed is diminished having a coach on the field will help.

The good news is that in FA we seemed to emphasize getting a few players who main contribution to this team is likely to be better ST play.

Yes sign a vet whose main attraction to being on our pre-season squad is that though he is unlikely to beat out Moorman we plan to use him a lot so he will be seen by the rest of the league and also save Moorman's old legs for the regular season.

My sense is that such a framework while not being attractive to the best FA punters who should be able to attract a more guaranteed jib, it actually should be quite attractive to the vet FA who wants to demonstrate his skills. He will be trying hard in the pre-season and who knows like Carpenter did as PK last year maybe he wins the job.

On the other hand Moorman should also be comfortable (but not too comfortable) with this set-up. Even better we do not waste a draft pick or salary cap room trying to replace a punter.

I would strongly advocate spending a 6th or 7th round pick on Tom Hornsey, the punter from Memphis. He's got a cannon leg and is a big kid.

I know it's a draft pick spent, but in my opinion, if a 6th-round pick can set up the punter position for the foreseeable future and have a positive impact on a ST unit that sorely needs it, it will have been well worth it.

Let's draft Hornsey.

There is no reason not to use a 6th or 7th on a punter IMO. Moorman was a great, great player for a long time but he is done. The ST were awful last year. I would much rather use a 6th or 7th on the best P in college than on a guy that has a chance to be the 6th CB or something like that. He will have more of an impact on the success of the team. I know that Bandit is high on that kid from Memphis.

We used a 6th on a punter last season and he flamed out by mid season.

Most all punters/kickers are free agents, it's like an unwritten rule in nfl.

Very very few are drafted.

No we used a 6th on the best kicker in college football who was injured all of last year.