Bills Draft Talk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others have said it but I think we take a safety and a RB in this draft. Certainly not in the 1st but I can see them taking a S at 2 or 3 if there is one available that they like. The RB would be a 4th or lower in my opinion.

Just pointing it out because I think this messes up the WR/TE/OT in any order as far as being our top 3 selections. The RB may mess things up more, if picking those three in the top 4 would be your next thought when you toss a safety into 2-3.

I also am of the belief you do not go RT in round 1.

I have no idea what they will actually do or what they are thinking, but feel a safety and RB, while not in the 1st are in play within picks 2-5.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

One thing is for sure --the initial thought was that 3-4 QBs would be drafted before the Bills pick at #9. This does not look to be the case, causing many non-QB players to be picked prior to the Bills. Initial Mocks had played like Watkins/Mack/Robinson falling to the Bills. Don't see that happening now

I think they have to get a tackle out of this draft. Glenn becomes a free agent in 2016 and whoever they draft this year would be insurance against Glenn not resigning and can play RT until then.

If the Bills are considering Glenn's UFA status with #9 overall then we might as well just pack it in now...IMHO, even if you're bound and determined to take an OT, you have to be assuming Glenn will be here for the foreseeable future...Considering UFA departures two years down the road is basically conceding failure...At least that's how I see it... B-)

Buffalo's used a lot of resources on the defensive side of the ball over the past few off-seasons including numerous 1st or 2nd round picks and plenty of UFA dollars. Nate Hackett's schemes may be up for debate, but they've got to get more talent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether they do that by improving the OL or with a receiver is the decision for Whaley and crew.

Buffalo's used a lot of resources on the defensive side of the ball over the past few off-seasons including numerous 1st or 2nd round picks and plenty of UFA dollars. Nate Hackett's schemes may be up for debate, but they've got to get more talent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether they do that by improving the OL or with a receiver is the decision for Whaley and crew.

I would not be at all surprised to see them come out of the 1st three rounds with a WR, OT, and a TE....Not that they won't go Defense...Just saying I would not be surprised to see an Offensive heavy Draft... B-)

I can see the Bills going after a big DE. The offense seems to be what makes the most sense, but with our new defensive coordinator liking the 4-3, I would not be surprised.

Either way, this team is most likely looking to build dominant lines. If I were to guess, the OL will be a bigger priority, but I would not rule out DE.

I figured I would start a thread where we can all post about anything related to the Bills draft.

I am still against taking a OL in round one and think that if we dont draft Evans I would like to have Ebron.

I think we need to surround EJ with as many weapons as possible and I really think Ebron would be the missing piece for the Bills offense.

CBF

E.J. needed more time to throw, he got hit alot last year and I think we need to protect him better. Plus drafting a lineman will help both Freddie and C.J.

I would like to see them go Oline first round. The draft is deep with WR's this year. We can wait for the 2nd round for a WR, just as we did last yr when we got Woods

The O line was not the sole reason for EJ struggling . And i dont think the issues will be repaired by simply drafting Robinson. Or Matthews .

But I sure cant argue against the LG situation being awful and Pears getting beat up. Personally i want BPA at #1 and thats what they should do.

Ideally they get a trade back offer . Even if its just one or two spots ,Thats just my opinion .

Then they get some room to indulge on a need position.

Good thread here.

Also i would not be surprised if the Bills draft favors Offense for Nate

Looking back on our offense last year, I really think the skill positions are better than we might think. My biggest frustration was seeing how little time our QBs had to throw and seeing very good RBs stopped at or behind the LOS. From my eye, not that I'm an expert anything, is that the OL is the problem.

I have absolutely no problem with going with an OT at 9. Listening to Marone talk about what a quality offensive line can do, makes a lot of sense. He believes that having a better line frees up your skill players so they don't have to stay in and block. Watching CJ, FJ and Chandler blocking so much last year really made sick. Those guys need to have their hands on the ball instead of taking on linemen, LBs etc. When you are doing everything you can to keep the OL from collapsing rather than trying to put your skill players in skill positions you are losing an advantage.

A 1st round WR also makes sense, but I keep going back to what I consider to be the offenses core issue. The OL.

A 1st round TE makes sense too. He would be big enough to take on some of those blocks, but again, if he can catch why?

Perhaps stockpiling on Defense would make sense. We could have quality DLmen who never get tired because we always have someone available in the rotation. But I saw a defense last year that spent too much time on the field because the offense couldn't get clicking. My belief is the best way to fix a problem is to find the source of the problem. To me, it looks like the OL.

This~ :worthy:

I wouldn't be upset if the bills went O line with the first 3 picks. To stabilize RT, LG, and depth.

Jeez, the depth...Legursky is the backup center and lord only knows who will be the backup LT.

Look at where the weaknesses are (before the start of FA) and where the signings are. ..........We invested in FA's at cornerback, tight end, linebacker and running back. (new players and resigned players). We gave a mulit-year contract to an OG, who many say was poorly coached and may be a better than he has appeared. (We will not know the answer to this before the draft). Previous years we went heavy at wide receiver and it is still too soon to say that these guys will not develop into good players. We have not addressed offensive tackle or free safety. I think its a combination of these two positions, BPA and "make me a trade offer I can't refuse" for the 2014 draft.

E.J. needed more time to throw, he got hit alot last year and I think we need to protect him better. Plus drafting a lineman will help both Freddie and C.J.

I would like to see them go Oline first round. The draft is deep with WR's this year. We can wait for the 2nd round for a WR, just as we did last yr when we got Woods

Thing is...You're going to get a Woods-type WR if you wait till the 2nd...Not that it's a bad thing...Robert Woods is a very good WR...But he's a #2, and he's probably always going to be a #2...You're not going to get a player with Mike Evans upside at #41...Not saying he's going to reach that upside...Just saying... B-)

Thing is...You're going to get a Woods-type WR if you wait till the 2nd...Not that it's a bad thing...Robert Woods is a very good WR...But he's a #2, and he's probably always going to be a #2...You're not going to get a player with Mike Evans upside at #41...Not saying he's going to reach that upside...Just saying... B-)

Lets talk some 1st round WR's

Desmond Howard #4-Charles Rodgers #2- Roy Williams #7- Mike Williams #10- -David Boston #8-Troy Williamson #7- Keyshawn Johnson #1 overall ( 2 WRs drafted that year are better) R. Jay Soward #29- David Terrell #8- Yatil Green #15- Ted Ginn Jr #9- Darius Heyward-Bey #7- Braylon Edwards #3- Koren Robinson #9- Peter Warrick #4 - Jonathan Baldwin #26- Justin Blackmon #5- Robert Meachem #27- Craig 'Buster" Davis #30

I suppose its a matter of opinion as to what position is more important to the team.

Anyway, I'd still like to see what can become of Woods & Goodwin if EJ is given ample time to throw.

I think its as simple as Watkins/Mack(miracle)/Robinson, after those three there is a big drop in talent overall and trade down would be best option.

Ebron to me isn't ruled out, sure the Bills have TE's but smith only blocks and Moeaki has bad injury problems. Chandler is viable but isn't someone who changes a DC's gameplan. Moeaki could, but with those injury concerns you can't rely on him to be that guy.

Evans would be there at 9, but his game speed Is very questionable. Watch him play, has power forward physicality but how will that translate against stronger, faster NFL CB's?

My best guess

RD1- Watkins.....trade down Ebron

RD2-Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson G

RD3-Trevor Reilly OLB

RD4-Will Clarke DE

RD5- Matt Patchan T (loads of talent gonna need some background digging)

I think its as simple as Watkins/Mack(miracle)/Robinson, after those three there is a big drop in talent overall and trade down would be best option.

Ebron to me isn't ruled out, sure the Bills have TE's but smith only blocks and Moeaki has bad injury problems. Chandler is viable but isn't someone who changes a DC's gameplan. Moeaki could, but with those injury concerns you can't rely on him to be that guy.

Evans would be there at 9, but his game speed Is very questionable. Watch him play, has power forward physicality but how will that translate against stronger, faster NFL CB's?

My best guess

RD1- Watkins.....trade down Ebron

RD2-Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson G

RD3-Trevor Reilly OLB

RD4-Will Clarke DE

RD5- Matt Patchan T (loads of talent gonna need some background digging)

Sorry, don't buy it. In this scenario we haven't addressed depth across the line. Who are the back up OTs for Pears and Glenn? Gotta land a OT in the first three rounds and another OL as well maybe as late as 4 but no later.

Lets talk some 1st round WR's

Desmond Howard #4-Charles Rodgers #2- Roy Williams #7- Mike Williams #10- -David Boston #8-Troy Williamson #7- Keyshawn Johnson #1 overall ( 2 WRs drafted that year are better) R. Jay Soward #29- David Terrell #8- Yatil Green #15- Ted Ginn Jr #9- Darius Heyward-Bey #7- Braylon Edwards #3- Koren Robinson #9- Peter Warrick #4 - Jonathan Baldwin #26- Justin Blackmon #5- Robert Meachem #27- Craig 'Buster" Davis #30

I suppose its a matter of opinion as to what position is more important to the team.

Anyway, I'd still like to see what can become of Woods & Goodwin if EJ is given ample time to throw.

Woods, Goodwin, Stevie...They're not #1's...Not saying the Bills can't get by without a #1...But it would be easier on EJ if they had one...That much I'm 100% certain of...Especially one with a 10 ft catch radius, seeing as though EJ can be less than accurate at times...

And it's just as easy on the other side...#4 AJ Green, #6 Julio Jones, #2 - Megatron, #13 Michael Floyd looks pretty good, #22 Demaryius Thomas, #24 Dez Bryant, #10 - Crabtree, #19 Jeremy Macklin, #22 Percy Harvin, #23 Dwayne Bowe...There have been some darn good WR's Drafted in the 1st Round in recent years...Evans is 3 inches taller than Dez Bryant, faster than Dez Bryant, and he's got better hands than Dez Bryant...I don't see any reason with proper development and coaching the kid can't be just as good as Dez Bryant...And Dez Bryant is a legit NFL #1 WR...If Evans comes close to his potential you'll have a Brandon Marshall-type WR...A real, true #1...Is there a chance he bombs? No doubt about it...They don't all make it...But 2500 yds and 17 TD's in only 2 SEC years tells me the kid has a good chance to be a solid NFL WR...

You never Draft anyone in the 1st Round worried about failure...You Draft them assuming you can coach them up to reach their potential...You Draft them because your scouts tell you the kid is special...I realize there's risk Drafting Evans at #9, but realistically there's risk Drafting just about any prospect at any position...If the Bills believe Evans is their guy at #9 I'll be thrilled with it...It's a gamble on greatness...No doubt it's a big gamble...But if it pays off we've got one hell of an Offensive weapon for years to come...

And btw...I have absolutely no problem with the Bills taking an OT, or even Ebron at #9...I just prefer Evans... B-)

They said similar things about Alson Jeffery who, like Evans, also dominated SEC competition...He's done just fine... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS